Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does anyone know where the online Sky program guide gets it's time info from?

This is a discussion on Does anyone know where the online Sky program guide gets it's time info from? within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hey, Ok, so I've been using the online version of the guide (tv.sky.com/tv-guide) rather than the EPG on the box ...

dewdude is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Verizon
      Broadband ISP: Verizon FiOS (Fibre)
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Does anyone know where the online Sky program guide gets it's time info from?

Hey,

Ok, so I've been using the online version of the guide (tv.sky.com/tv-guide) rather than the EPG on the box due to excessive lag and sync issues streaming it with a Slingbox. The only thing I'm wondering is *where* is it getting it's timezone information from? I'm five hours behind; so the yellow time marker on the online guide always shows up 5 hours behind. The guide does get some information from the server; because if I load the guide at 10pm here; it brings up the next days guide but still places the marker at 10pm.

Anyone ever had any luck in getting this to show up "incorrectly" that didn't involve changing the main time zone. I have a program that force a different time/date within the program; but that hasn't worked very well.

Not a major issue, was just wondering if someone who might know the system better than me has some clue.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Does anyone know where the online Sky program guide gets it's time info from?

There is no option in the Planner to change the Time-Zone.

Since the whole of the UK and Ireland is in the same time-zone, I guess that it will get it from a satellite transmission.

The only way around this would be to hack the firmware, which I wouldn't recommend unless you really know what you are doing and have a method to load your own custom version.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Does anyone know where the online Sky program guide gets it's time info from?

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      There is no option in the Planner to change the Time-Zone.
      Since the whole of the UK and Ireland is in the same time-zone, I guess that it will get it from a satellite transmission.
      The only way around this would be to hack the firmware, which I wouldn't recommend unless you really know what you are doing and have a method to load your own custom version.
      Well, I was not talking about the planner or program guide or anything within the SkyBox. That's already on the proper time zone. I'll have to make a video on how painfully slow it is to use the Sky EPG

I was talking about the sky TV listings website: Sky Guide TV Listings - Sky - For example, when I took this screenshot it was 11:50am over here; but 4:50pm over there.

It's probably something a bit more advanced than people here have had to deal with because, as you're said; you're all on the same time-zone. I just didn't know if anyone here had an idea of how to get the webpage to move that yellow slider over so I'm not always getting lost scrolling down the list.

It's not important. I asked on a tech support form on how to run my web-browser in a different time-zone than my system time; but the suggestions they gave me did not work on the Sky page. Thought maybe someone here who's used it more than I have can offer some ideas. It's not the end of the world nor will it prevent me from getting any viewing done; but you never know unless you ask.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Thanks

http://tv.sky.com/info/timeInMinutes
      From the rate it increases I would say for minutes read milliseconds.

Don't know if it would be possible to use a selective web proxy to substitute a different value.

Code:
      GET -e http://tv.sky.com/info/timeInMinutes
      200 OK
      Cache-Control: public, s-maxage=60, max-age=60
      Connection: close
      Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 17:49:26 GMT
      Server: app5
      Content-Length: 13
      Content-Type: text/html;charset=utf-8
      Expires: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 17:50:04 GMT
      Last-Modified: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 17:49:04 GMT
      Client-Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 17:31:46 GMT
      Client-Peer: 23.65.22.41:80
      Client-Response-Num: 1
      Set-Cookie: countryAKA=GB; path=/; domain=sky.com
      X-UA-Compatible: IE=edge,chrome=1

6. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

dewdude (24-02-14)

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

As an idea, why not have a 2nd clock on your wall?

I have a friend who DJ's on an Internet radio. She has two clocks on her wall. One for the UK, the other for LA time, where the station is based.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      http://tv.sky.com/info/timeInMinutes
      From the rate it increases I would say for minutes read milliseconds.
      That's Linux Epoch time, which is in milliseconds.

Don't know if it would be possible to use a selective web proxy to substitute a different value.

Maybe. I won't say for sure till I set it up and try. I do have a Linux server that's set to GMT and a local machine on EST. But they both give me largely the same output.

Code:
      dewdude@pickmy:~$ uptime 
       22:13:29 up 103 days, 23:15,  1 user,  load average: 0.02, 0.04, 0.05
      dewdude@pickmy:~$ GET -e http://tv.sky.com/info/timeInMinutes
      200 OK
      Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 22:13:34 GMT
      Server: app1
      Expires: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 22:14:34 GMT
      Last-Modified: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 22:13:34 GMT
      Client-Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 22:13:34 GMT
      Client-Peer: 23.62.111.178:80
      Set-Cookie: countryAKA=other; path=/; domain=sky.com

Code:
      jay@upstairs:~$ uptime
       17:11:38 up 16 days,  5:26,  2 users,  load average: 0.04, 0.03, 0.05
      jay@upstairs:~$ GET -e http://tv.sky.com/info/timeInMinutes
      200 OK
      Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 22:12:27 GMT
      Server: app6
      Expires: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 22:13:26 GMT
      Last-Modified: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 22:12:26 GMT
      Client-Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 22:12:27 GMT
      Client-Peer: 72.246.45.74:80
      Set-Cookie: countryAKA=other; path=/; domain=sky.com

It does make me wonder if this is beyond simply feeding the application a different time and having to modify the time-zone settng. I actually can set my tablet to GMT and it works fine.

As an idea, why not have a 2nd clock on your wall?

I do have a second clock in Windows, I just have to hover over the clock and it'll pop up. It's largely no big deal...it's more of a way of making it easier to mindlessly scroll through the list and know which blocks I have to look at.

Thanks

Changed my Locale to NY clock reads 22:10 tv-guide yellow line shows 03:10.
      Set proxy to serve "1" (invalid time) for timeInMinutes.
      Reloaded tv-guide yellow line shows 22:10 not sure whether the day is correct though.
      With that I'm calling it a day.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

dewdude (24-02-14)

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Changed my Locale to NY clock reads 22:10 tv-guide yellow line shows 03:10.
      Set proxy to serve "1" (invalid time) for timeInMinutes.
      Reloaded tv-guide yellow line shows 22:10 not sure whether the day is correct though.
      With that I'm calling it a day.

Yeah, I've mostly run either SOCKS5 through SSH or PPTP VPN to a machine; but if it's using the epoch output from the URL as a reference; I should be able to rig something up so I feed it modified a modified epoch stream, five hours ahead.

Thanks a bunch for cluing me in on this; I'm not the worlds best when it comes to web development, and no one else picked up on this when I asked around elsewhere.

Thanks

Now I'm a little more awake I've looked at the problem again and don't think the answer is as simple as I first thought.
      All the channel data is arranged in tiles albeit without formatting in much the same way that a map is built up in Google maps but instead of being arranged by latitude and longitude it uses time and channel. The problem is that the time datum is 00:00 GMT so although it is possible to move the time marker to local time it will no longer represent the time that a programme is actually being broadcast. I would guess that during summer time in the northern hemisphere the data will be produced at source with a one hour offset. I am no expert when it comes to JavaScript so it is possible that the data could be re-formatted at the browser though how to do this eludes me.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

I sat up entirely too late last night messing with part of this. I started focusing on the timeInMinutes thinking as if it would help me somehow. I thought what if I tried offsetting the GMT data from epoch by 5 hours...maybe that would work. So I came up with this:

Code:
      #!/usr/bin/env python
      import time
      epoch = int(time.time())
      time = epoch + 18000
      target = open('/home/dewdude/www/dewdu.de/timeInMinutes', 'w')
      target.write(str(time))
      target.close()
      Simple python script; calls for epoch, adds 18000 to it, writes output to a file. Throw it in a cronjob and it'll update every minute, which isn't necessary but I did it anyway; then I used Fiddler web debugger to have it call my own timeInMinutes rather than Sky's.

Nothing, not one change. No change in the yellow time bar, no shifted guide data. Nothing changed.

The problem is that the time datum is 00:00 GMT so although it is possible to move the time marker to local time it will no longer represent the time that a programme is actually being broadcast.

I have no idea how this thing works now. Changing timeInMinutes should have had some effect, but it doesn't. The only device of mine i've been able to manipulate it is Chrome on Android. No matter what I set my PC locale too, the guide appears the *exact* same way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast