Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Blank after turning off receiver

This is a discussion on Sky Blank after turning off receiver within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; My setup is as follows: a sky HD box and an AppleTV as inputs to an Antiference 4x4 matrix switch ...

alecbrown is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky Blank after turning off receiver

My setup is as follows: a sky HD box and an AppleTV as inputs to an Antiference 4x4 matrix switch, a Marantz NR1601 receiver and a Samsung TV.

When I switch everything on for the first time, all is great, then if I put the receiver in standby and then on again, I get a blank screen. Other inputs to the switch work fine if I switch to them and other inputs to the receiver work fine. To get a picture again I have to switch off the switch and the sky box and then on again. I have tried setting the sky box to one output resolution, and I have tried an EDID 'fix it' device, an HDMI signal amplifier and various other things but always the same issue. I have another TV on the switch and that has no issue.

Does anyone have any clue what could be happening here as the company that installed it and sold me the switch has no clue and has stopped answering my calls.

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky Blank after turning off receiver

Hello Alec and welcome to the forum.
      If you bypass the Marantz NR1601 receiver and feed the matrix output directly to an HDMI input on the Samsung TV do you get a picture?
      Under the fault condition when you get a blank screen are you getting the correct sound output from the Marantz?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi, yes, when in the bad condition and the receiver is bypassed, sky works on the tv fine, just without my nice speakers, and when through the receiver, the sound comes on and then off very quickly once every couple of seconds, however when the receiver's setup menu is showing the sound is perfect (just no picture).

Thanks

If you bypass the matrix and connect an HDMI cable from the Sky box directly to the receiver input does switching the receiver to standby then back on again have any effect on the TV picture?
      Could you post the model and version numbers as displayed on the Sky box's System Details page?

Exchange:
      Thanks

The sky box is 2 floors away from the TV (hence the cat6 matrix switch) so difficult to test as there is no sky dish connection near the TV, however the box worked fine in my last house with the receiver, so either the problem is to do with the sky/switch/receiver interaction or some update about the time I moved house last summer. If I try my sky box straight to the receiver with no dish input, is that a fair test?

There is also an XBox 360 on the receiver which works fine.

Thanks

The reason I was asking for version and model numbers was to check whether or not your Sky box is using the latest firmware.
      You may have problems playing back a recording if the box is not connected to the dish but if you can that would be a fair test.
      If the box refuses to allow access to you recordings once the connection to the dish is broken provided you have a long mains extension lead and some assistance you could:
      1. reconnect the dish
      2. power up the box using an extension lead supplied from a socket on the intermediate floor
      3. check that you have access to your recordings
      4. switch the Sky box to standby and disconnect the dish
      5. without interrupting the mains supply carry the box to a position where it can be connected directly to the receiver using an HDMI lead.

You should then be able to perform the test.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I have now tried that and the sky box works if not going through the switch.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alecbrown View Post
      I have now tried that and the sky box works if not going through the switch.
      In that case it would appear that the problem relates to the switch matrix or the interconnecting leads.
      I am therefore surprised that the company that installed it are not able to assist.
      It may be an idea to contact Antiference directly to check whether they are aware of this problem.

As this problem only occurred around the time you moved house it may be worth examining any differences between the original and current fit.
      Does the specification state the maximum length of cable that is supported and if so are you able to confirm that it hasn't been exceeded?