Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Multiscreen - sharing sky subscription with house next door?

This is a discussion on Sky Multiscreen - sharing sky subscription with house next door? within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I own 2 houses next door to each other and I’m wondering whether I can share my sky subscription between ...

loll_l is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky Multiscreen - sharing sky subscription with house next door?

I own 2 houses next door to each other and I’m wondering whether I can share my sky subscription between the 2 houses. I am guessing sky wouldn’t be too happy about this and I assume they would expect each household to have its own subscription, nether the less, I would be interested to know if the following is possible….

My current Sky subscription includes one Sky HD box and one Sky + box (none HD) in another room. I am hoping to change this to 5 or 6 HD boxes (2 in my current house and 3 or 4 next door)…. The reason for so many receivers in the house next door is that I will be renting it out to students….

The questions I have are as follows…

1- Considering I will be paying the bill for all of the extra multiscreen boxes (£11.25 per month per box) - would sky allow me to share the subscription between 2 houses?
      2- If, as I suspect, the answer to the above in ‘no’ could I set this up with a non-sky engineer but still using sky equipment? Ie. If I pay for the extra multiroom subscriptions but tell sky I do not need an engineer because I will set it up myself – is there any way sky could find out that the subscription in being used in 2 houses?
      3- The normal sky HD multiscreen boxes do not have the facility to record. If I decide to get a normal box to begin with but then decide to upgrade to a box that can record at a later date – is there anything that needs to be done with regards to the installation or can I just disconnect the coaxial cable from the back of the old one and plug straight into the new one?
      4- I already have an extra Sky HD box (with the facility to record) that a friend gave to me. Could I replace one of the standard HD multiscreen boxes with this one?
      5- Could I deactivate the extra multiscreen subscriptions whenever I like? Eg. When one of the rooms next door is not occupied.

I am likely to have more questions but that’s enough for now!

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky Multiscreen - sharing sky subscription with house next door?

The original multiroom (now multiscreen) required all sky boxes to be connected to the same telephone line capable of making outgoing calls to prevent two or more households from defrauding Sky out of revenue by sharing their subscription. This requirement has been lifted for new installations but I suspect that where boxes are connected to the internet to make use of "On Demand" facilities Sky would check that all boxes sharing a subscription connect to the internet using the same router.

I would expect that an engineer employed directly by Sky would refuse to install boxes at an address which is different from that on the work order.

If replacing a multiscreen HD box with a Sky+ HD box to make use of the full facilities it offers requires an extra connection to the dish.
      Each Sky minidish can provide a maximum of eight connections which would enable it to supply four Sky+ HD boxes or eight multiroom.
      You could of course have a separate dish on each property.

Multiscreen is usually supplied on an initial twelve month contract though once out of contract it can be cancelled provided that thirty one days notice is given.
      Re-instating multiscreen can take up to twenty four hours though in practice it is usually much quicker than that.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by loll_l View Post
      I own 2 houses next door to each other and I’m wondering whether I can share my sky subscription between the 2 houses. I am guessing sky wouldn’t be too happy about this and I assume they would expect each household to have its own subscription, nether the less, I would be interested to know if the following is possible….

My current Sky subscription includes one Sky HD box and one Sky + box (none HD) in another room. I am hoping to change this to 5 or 6 HD boxes (2 in my current house and 3 or 4 next door)…. The reason for so many receivers in the house next door is that I will be renting it out to students….

The questions I have are as follows…

1- Considering I will be paying the bill for all of the extra multiscreen boxes (£11.25 per month per box) - would sky allow me to share the subscription between 2 houses?
      2- If, as I suspect, the answer to the above in ‘no’ could I set this up with a non-sky engineer but still using sky equipment? Ie. If I pay for the extra multiroom subscriptions but tell sky I do not need an engineer because I will set it up myself – is there any way sky could find out that the subscription in being used in 2 houses?
      3- The normal sky HD multiscreen boxes do not have the facility to record. If I decide to get a normal box to begin with but then decide to upgrade to a box that can record at a later date – is there anything that needs to be done with regards to the installation or can I just disconnect the coaxial cable from the back of the old one and plug straight into the new one?
      4- I already have an extra Sky HD box (with the facility to record) that a friend gave to me. Could I replace one of the standard HD multiscreen boxes with this one?
      5- Could I deactivate the extra multiscreen subscriptions whenever I like? Eg. When one of the rooms next door is not occupied.

I am likely to have more questions but that’s enough for now!
      Looking to defraud Sky?

Same post here and here.
      Where else?
      Watch out!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

What you want to do is use a residential subscription for a business purpose. Sky would not be happy with that and offer business subscriptions for what you want to do. Something like the Hotel Package would be what you need, to stay within the Law. Fighting Fraud – Sky Business

Sky Business

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.