Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up


    Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.


    Advertisement

    Results 1 to 9 of 9
    Like Tree2Likes
    • 1 Post By bubblegun
    • 1 Post By mysticbertie

    Can I Buy A Used Hd Box Without A HD Subscription - Sky + User.

    This is a discussion on Can I Buy A Used Hd Box Without A HD Subscription - Sky + User. within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; To have something black and better in terms of video connections i want to change my old sky plus box ...

    1. #1
      mysticbertie's Avatar
      mysticbertie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenston
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Join Date
      Oct 2009
      Posts
      29
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Can I Buy A Used Hd Box Without A HD Subscription - Sky + User.

      To have something black and better in terms of video connections i want to change my old sky plus box (white), i watch very little tv so im not going to subscribe to hd channels. So can i buy a second hand sky hd box and use it without a hd subscription?


    2. Advertisement
    3. #2
      Scubbie's Avatar
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Mar 2010
      Location
      Near Portsmouth
      Posts
      28,242
      Thanks
      848
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

      Re: Can I Buy A Used Hd Box Without A HD Subscription - Sky + User.

      No problem what so ever.

      You may want to check out the Sky website first to see what is on offer though. Sometimes they can put a really nice deal together to encourage people to upgrade.

      If you do purchase a secondhand STB I would suggest that you get either the DRX890 or DRX895 as these are the newer models and have the larger drives.

      Do not get the Thomson model. The will be problems with this one soon and you cannot access the on-line content with this model.

      Once you have your STB, connect it all up, insert your viewing card and call Sky. They can help you to pair the viewing card to the STB and that is all you need to do.

      PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

    4. #3
      mysticbertie's Avatar
      mysticbertie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenston
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Join Date
      Oct 2009
      Posts
      29
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: Can I Buy A Used Hd Box Without A HD Subscription - Sky + User.

      Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      No problem what so ever.

      You may want to check out the Sky website first to see what is on offer though. Sometimes they can put a really nice deal together to encourage people to upgrade.

      If you do purchase a secondhand STB I would suggest that you get either the DRX890 or DRX895 as these are the newer models and have the larger drives.

      Do not get the Thomson model. The will be problems with this one soon and you cannot access the on-line content with this model.

      Once you have your STB, connect it all up, insert your viewing card and call Sky. They can help you to pair the viewing card to the STB and that is all you need to do.
      many thank for the reply, im so glad to hear its very easy, on your recommendation i searche debay and there is -c and -r versions of the DRX890, do you know the difference between them ? There is loads of boxes on ebay and they dont cost much either, an easy upgrade which is nice.

    5. #4
      Scubbie's Avatar
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Mar 2010
      Location
      Near Portsmouth
      Posts
      28,242
      Thanks
      848
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts
      C and R just refer to where they were made
      C is for China. I can't recall which country the R stands for just now.

      Do lool around though. eBay is not the cheapest place. If you check out some local shops you may find them available for between 15-25.

      PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

    6. #5
      mysticbertie's Avatar
      mysticbertie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenston
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Join Date
      Oct 2009
      Posts
      29
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: Can I Buy A Used Hd Box Without A HD Subscription - Sky + User.

      Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      C and R just refer to where they were made
      C is for China. I can't recall which country the R stands for just now.

      Do lool around though. eBay is not the cheapest place. If you check out some local shops you may find them available for between 15-25.
      Thanks Scubbie, i dont go to the local shops much. I have checked on ebay on the completed listings and i should be able to get one for less that 30 delivered.

    7. #6
      bubblegun's Avatar
      bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Join Date
      Mar 2007
      Location
      Scotland
      Posts
      1,491
      Thanks
      24
      Thanked 123 Times in 118 Posts

      Re: Can I Buy A Used Hd Box Without A HD Subscription - Sky + User.

      Quote Originally Posted by mysticbertie View Post
      Thanks Scubbie, i dont go to the local shops much. I have checked on ebay on the completed listings and i should be able to get one for less that 30 delivered.
      Call Sky (cancellation option) you may be able to get a brand new box for 44 if you've had Sky more than 5 years. I would think 12 month warranty would trump second hand with 90 days at best from ebay.
      Scubbie likes this.

    8. #7
      mysticbertie's Avatar
      mysticbertie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenston
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Join Date
      Oct 2009
      Posts
      29
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: Can I Buy A Used Hd Box Without A HD Subscription - Sky + User.

      Quote Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
      Call Sky (cancellation option) you may be able to get a brand new box for 44 if you've had Sky more than 5 years. I would think 12 month warranty would trump second hand with 90 days at best from ebay.
      how does one go from saying you want to cancel to accepting a deal on a new hd box

      just now i dont want to be tied to another minimum term in case i move soon and dont need sky, so i bought a second hand box for 25 delivered, i put a wanted advert on the avforums.

      thanks to everyone for the help

    9. #8
      bubblegun's Avatar
      bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Join Date
      Mar 2007
      Location
      Scotland
      Posts
      1,491
      Thanks
      24
      Thanked 123 Times in 118 Posts

      Re: Can I Buy A Used Hd Box Without A HD Subscription - Sky + User.

      Quote Originally Posted by mysticbertie View Post
      how does one go from saying you want to cancel to accepting a deal on a new hd box
      Most people say "I don't want to cancel but I feel I'm going to have to, to get the problem fixed. Since you don't make Sky+ boxes anymore I've been told it's 200 + install charge to do this. Can you help me with this? Otherwise I want to give my 31 days notice today."

      But it would be a recontract for 12 months.

    10. #9
      mysticbertie's Avatar
      mysticbertie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenston
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Join Date
      Oct 2009
      Posts
      29
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: Can I Buy A Used Hd Box Without A HD Subscription - Sky + User.

      Quote Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
      Most people say "I don't want to cancel but I feel I'm going to have to, to get the problem fixed. Since you don't make Sky+ boxes anymore I've been told it's 200 + install charge to do this. Can you help me with this? Otherwise I want to give my 31 days notice today."

      But it would be a recontract for 12 months.
      Thats is a very clever idea, ill keep my sleeve for the next time as long as im happy with another 12 month term, many thanks.
      bubblegun likes this.

     

     

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    SkyUser - Copyright © 2006-2020. SatDish and NewsreadeR | SkyUser is in no way affiliated with Sky Broadband / BSkyB
    RIPA NOTICE: NO CONSENT IS GIVEN FOR INTERCEPTION OF PAGE TRANSMISSION