Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Upgrading for Sky SD to HD

This is a discussion on Upgrading for Sky SD to HD within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; My first post. I'm sure this must have been answered before, but I can't find it... I have a standard ...

UncleZen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Upgrading for Sky SD to HD

My first post.
      I'm sure this must have been answered before, but I can't find it...

I have a standard sky (SD) box (circa 2002) I'm contemplating upgrading to a Sky+HD box.
      I have the basic Sky package (no sport or movies).

I want to be able to record TV.
      I want to get the free-to-air HD channels because I don't want to pay Sky 10/m (especially since they've removed the F1 channel from the HD channel line up).
      I'd like a way of getting recording off the box and into a computer (not critical, but nice to have).

Whats the cheapest approach to accomplish the above.

I understand that whilst I have an active Sky package, I'll be able to record to disk?
      I'm aware that there are Sky+HD boxes and wireless adapters available on eBay for about 75.
      I'm also aware that I'll need another feed from my dish if I want to record one channel whist I watch another.
      I'm aware that I'll need to pair my existing viewing card with the new box (is there a charge for this?)
      I also understand that if I connect the box to the internet via the adapter I should be able to get catchup services for past programmes (iPlayer, itv player, 4OD, Demand 5 etc)?
      Will I need to connect the new box to a phone line? (There is no phone line nearby).

Is there anything I've missed, or anything else I need to do?

Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      Annie UK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWFEL
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: TP-Link Archer C7
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Upgrading for Sky SD to HD

HD is only 5.00 without sports & movies plus you will get access to On Demand box sets
      You can order box office and sky store programmes without a phoneline if you're box is connected to your router.
      Annie 🦋..........
      My Sky+HD FAQ
      (now with more questions)
      My Sky hardware and setup

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Have a look on your MySky page, if you have never received a free or discounted HD box, you may find you are eligible for a free upgrade.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

UncleZen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Just checked.
      Sky+HD Box 49
      TV Standard set-up 60
      Total 109
      Nowhere can I find out what "TV Standard set-up" is. Is that a man in a van adding a new feed from my dish to the TV?
      Can I export programmes? A wireless adapter is not included AFAICT (my router is not near my TV).
      Is "Sky Entertainment+" at 5/m the new name for the HD pack?

My reluctance to upgrade in the past is, in-part, due to the confusing and complex website, and if I have an online chat they seem to only want to sell me something I dont want.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Nowhere can I find out what "TV Standard set-up" is. Is that a man in a van adding a new feed from my dish to the TV?
      Standard setup includes everything, adding an extra feed to the dish and maybe even replacing the dish if it is very old. With regards the wireless adapter, Sky's new boxes have built in wireless so with a bit of luck you would get one of these.
      Is "Sky Entertainment+" at 5/m the new name for the HD pack?

This is what you get with EE+ Sky Entertainment Extra+ | Sky Products

Can I export programmes?
      The only way to do this is by using a DVD/HDD recorder or by using a capture card on your PC.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.