Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Like Tree4Likes

Sky+ remote & home theatre systems

This is a discussion on Sky+ remote & home theatre systems within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I don't think there will be any need for a switcher tbh. At least not for now. Although he could ...

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: Sky+ remote & home theatre systems

I don't think there will be any need for a switcher tbh. At least not for now.

Although he could often power down the STB for viewing something on freeview, he's never bothered doing that before.
      Infact he's only ever likely to if something goes wrong with sky, in which case i'll pop the optical cable in the tv temporarily for him.

Also, the only other media source will be a usb flash drive i'll be taking round now & again, which can plug directly in to the HT.

Just a quick last question.
      Despite being a 2.1 system, isn't a better sound achieved by feeding it 5.1 & having that downmixed, as opposed to 2 channel stereo, even if digital?

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,235 Times in 2,100 Posts

I would suggest that receiving 5.1 would be the better sound. The subwoofer tends to be quiet on mine without the 5.1 signal.

If you were to use the YouTube app to check out the BBC Screen Test signal the Sub-woofer will not work. YouTube doesn't encode 5.1 sound.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Thanks again Scubbie.

So optical cable from STB to HT system it is then.

He doesn't have broadband, but i'm considering hooking him up with the free 'everyday lite' service now, just for when i'm around.
      He doesn't really know what youtube is lol.

It's going to be fun.

Thanks

He he he...

I think your dad is going to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st Century.

The 2GB limit is very restrictive IMHO. I appreciate the difference in cost, but if he doesn't have Sky phone & broadband, you might want to investigate to see if he can get free broadband unlimited for 6 months. With the addition of CUTV and On Demand to the STB alone, there is a lot available now which can easily push him over the 2GB monthly limit.

As for YouTube, it'll be available on both the HT & TV. Personally I prefer using the HT for things like that as it means the sound is better.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I note that the TV you linked is 'Not Available' Was it when you ordered? As it is an older model it may never come back into stock on Amazon.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Oh i'm quite sure 2GB will be plenty.
      It'll just be for a bit of fun here & there while i'm visiting.

As an example of his limitations, he doesn't set reminders or recordings on the STB.
      I scan through discovery shed once a week & record various angling programmes for us to watch later.
      He doesn't even use the EPG, just the up & down buttons for whatever's on at the time. So the internet? No way.

Anyway, could somebody please confirm that i've been a bit of a dumdum with the 5.1 thing here:

Looking through the EPG, it appears that only HD broadcasts have DD & that as my dad unsubscribed from the HD pack recently, there'd be no advantage in connecting the STB to HT instead of TV to HT with optical?
      I did notice the odd SD programme had DS, which i took to mean proper prologic, but the HT he's getting doesn't do that.

If i'm correct (at last), i assume the HDMI output should be set to 'normal', or like with the HT, is it best to feed the TV with the best available & let it downmix as necessary?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I note that the TV you linked is 'Not Available' Was it when you ordered? As it is an older model it may never come back into stock on Amazon.
      It was ordered from 'very', part of the littlewoods group.
      They had stock at the time + he's got an account with them with a few 's lying in there from some returned items.

Thanks

Yes only the HD channels broadcast in DD. Some broadcast in AC3 others in 5.1. Currently none broadcast above this.

Don't forget that BBC1 HD, BBC2 HD, ITV1 HD and Channel 4 HD can all be seen. Sadly ITV2, 3 & 4 all require the HD sub to see their respective HD channels. I can't remember what the situation is for Channel 5 HD but it does require the viewing card.

All is not lost though. The HT will be able to improve the sound from the SD channels. There will be various options for you to select from the remote. I'll let you play with it in order to get the best from it when you have it.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Hmm that's another thing.

Despite 'mentioning' it countless times, he's unable to get into the habit of using channel 141 & 178 etc for HD, which is another reason i'd like those 5 to swap with their SD counterparts.

So with that in mind, to recap:
      STB HDMI set to normal.
      TV > HT with optical.
      No advantage in doing anything else.

PS, sorry this thread has gone on like this.
      I used to pride myself on having knowledge of such things, but a lot seems to have changed in 5 years.

Thanks

Why not put the HD channels on the <Blue> button and teach him how to use it?

Quote Originally Posted by gymno View Post
      PS, sorry this thread has gone on like this.
      I used to pride myself on having knowledge of such things, but a lot seems to have changed in 5 years.
      Don't worry. Too often I see great looking deals for TVs or sound systems only to look a little more closely to see that actually they aren't so great.

What you are looking for is reasonable and there is a lot of kit out there which won't make it easy. Hopefully the kit you are looking at now will work well and resolve the issue which he is having.
      gymno likes this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234