Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Like Tree4Likes

Sky+ remote & home theatre systems

This is a discussion on Sky+ remote & home theatre systems within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; He's definitely got tunnel vision for something like this now: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-HT-E...ywords=hte4200 And yes, i have been influential in that. It ...

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: Sky+ remote & home theatre systems

He's definitely got tunnel vision for something like this now:
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-HT-E...ywords=hte4200

And yes, i have been influential in that.
      It could be any make or model really but i think it's the best kind of thing for his needs too.
      The tiny speakers will be perfect for wall / shelf mounting, power should (hopefully) result in some quality & cash isn't being spent on (too many) features he'll never use.

I appreciate all the advice folks but unless someone shouts out "we have x 2.1 system & x code works", it looks like we'll be off to have some fun & a good test of customer service in some stores quite soon.
      Can't wait.

Thanks again everyone.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,235 Times in 2,100 Posts

Nice choice.

You may wish to consider a TV upgrade at some stage so as to benefit from the two linking to each other with the CEC system.
      gymno likes this.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Unless a samsung TV code works, he won't be getting that.
      This site has no AV/amp/HT codes for samsung...
      How To Program SKY Plus Remote to Control AV Amplifier or Receiver
      ...And i don't know where else to find them.

It's a good example of what he wants/needs though.
      Considering his preference for quality over features, it's likely to be something by another brand anyway.

Being able to control the volume with the sky remote vol+/- buttons is the main thing.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Nice choice.

You may wish to consider a TV upgrade at some stage so as to benefit from the two linking to each other with the CEC system.
      You've just given me an evil idea.

If we begin by failing in stores with remote codes, i might have to start pointing out what amazing prices they have for tv's these days...

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

After all that, there's a change of plan.
      I have a new mission.
      TV + 2.1 HT, 600 ish.

There's a few (non smart, non 3D) 42" 1080p LED TV's out there for 400-450, so think that's what it'll be.
      Something like this:
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-UE42...rds=42+inch+tv

I have just one question.
      Several of the TV's i've looked at do mention CEC in the features list, but the HT systems so far haven't.
      I have seen ARC (audio return channel) mentioned though.
      Is this the same thing?

As ever, simplicity is key for my dad.
      After set-up, both the TV & HT remotes will be put away in a cupboard, so being able to control the volume with the sky remote vol+/- buttons is essential.

Thanks

To be safe, check out the Samsung site for HT systems.

He might appreciate the Smart features, but the HT will have many of them too. This would make things easier.

Remember too that Samsung call their system 'Anynet+'.

Check this one out: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-HT-E...g+home+theatre

The combination should be within budget.

One point I have been thinking about is speaker cable. My Samsung has coloured connectors on the rear of the HT. The speaker end though is just soldered wires. It would not be too difficult to connect up a suitable extension to bring the speakers to where you want them.

HT-E4200 3D Blu-ray 2.1 Channel Home Entertainment System - Samsung UK - OVERVIEW

Looking at the specs of it, I might even consider this one for my bedroom if I had the inclination when I get a new TV later this year. It supports the Anynet+ which is what you are looking for.

The TV you are looking at:

42-inch F5000 Series 5 100 CMR Full HD (1080p) LED TV - Samsung UK - OVERVIEW

I can't see if the TV supports the Anynet+, which surprises me. Could I suggest that you double check this before ordering that TV? Samsung's support is quite good.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Thankyou very much Scubbie, you've covered just about every concern i had.

With the tv, it looks like i was misled by the description on amazon as the spec list on the samsung site says 'anynet+ (cec-hdmi)... NO'.
      Very disappointing. I may give them a call on tuesday to double check.

The ht system you linked to is the same one i did a few posts back, but for a few 's less.
      Although many features are wasted on my dad, it's a good price, has anynet+ & tiny speakers. Perfect.

Also, i was wondering about speaker cables too.
      My initial idea was to get the unit first & if they had proper connectors, see if i could get some pre made extensions.
      Or better still, just some longer replacements.
      Failing that, hopefully it's not too hard to make my own up.
      I don't really fancy the old 'snip & chocblock' method.

Thanks

No problem.

Personally I would leave the original leads unaltered and add a couple of carefully measured & equal leads using something like the 5amp chocblocks and extend the leads that way.

The description on Amazon does suggest that the Anynet+ feature is available if you look at the full description. I would still give Samsung a friendly call. Their contact details are available on their website and I have found them to be reasonable in the past.

HDMI connections

Twin High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) connections can transmit HD video and audio over a single cable to deliver superior picture and sound from your HD source. Optimise the image quality when you connect your TV to high-definition sources such as an HD cable TV, satellite receiver, or Blu-ray player. They also feature CEC capability, so you can use your TV’s remote control handset.
      Bold text is my highlighting. On reflection it doesn't actually confirm 100% that this TV does support CEC but that HDMI does and the implication is that they should work. Definitely call Samsung or email for reference later if it proves not to work.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Well, samsung confirmed that entry level '5000' models don't have the anynet+ feature, which is a bit of a shame.

After a lot of looking around, we've decided to go for the next one up, but from last years 'EH' range:
      Samsung UE40EH5300 40-inch Full HD 1080p Smart LED TV, Wi-Fi Ready: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

It's got the smart features my dad won't use but i found it for under 450 & it does have anynet+.

Along with optical & HDMI leads, i've ordered this too:
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-HT-E...g+home+theatre

Should have it all by the 16th so happy days.

From dad & me, thanks to everyone for all the advice.

Thanks

Looking good

Thinking through this, normally the optical lead should run from the Sky+ HD STB and the TV. In this case though you only have the 2.1 speakers.

The choice is therefore does your Dad want the '.1' or sub-woofer or just stereo?

If you were to run the optical lead from the TV then all the sound will come via the TV. Sky's sound will be limited to stereo only as I don't believe the TV will forward the Dolby Digital (5.1) sound from the HDMI port. However it will cause less confusion.

The alternative would be to get an optical switcher. This is the arrangement I have. When I wish to use the TV to give me Freeview or stream something to the TV from my phone I switch the optical sound to come from the TV instead of the Sky STB.

This arrangement works, but might not be popular with your Dad.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast