Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Like Tree4Likes

Sky+ remote & home theatre systems

This is a discussion on Sky+ remote & home theatre systems within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; A completely different direction, but has he tried wireless earphones? I have a set of Thomsons which become very useful ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Sky+ remote & home theatre systems

A completely different direction, but has he tried wireless earphones? I have a set of Thomsons which become very useful when SWMBO goes to bed early. The sound is far superior to the TV output. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-0013195...tp_s2_edpp_url You can of course pay much more, but it may be worth trying these before splashing out.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

That's a great point Isitme & something i did suggest early on.

"No, no, no i'm not wearing those just to watch the telly" was the response i got.

Despite the disabilities, he's 6ft 6" & 18 stone.
      I don't argue.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

He doesn't know what he is missing. Next to a full blown surround system earphones are the next best thing. They pick up sound you never hear with TV speakers and they keep your ears warm in winter.
      gymno likes this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Thankyou for all that info seawright.
      you will already have the correct TV code so you will only require the list of codes for the AV equipment manufacturer's product that you intend to buy.
      That's where things are a bit tricky.
      This site: How To Program SKY Plus Remote to Control AV Amplifier or Receiver does seem quite old (eg: no samsung) & as the method isn't endorsed by sky, codes are hard to find.

The only general preference he has (like me) is for quality over features, so as long as the sky remote controls the volume with the vol+/- buttons, he'll be happy regardless of make/model.
      I thought it best i print every code i can find to try in store.

I found this article this morning: How Can I Control My Pioneer Amp Using A Sky Remote which suggests a code can be entered in the 'normal' way to control a ht system, so was wondering if the same method worked with your hifi.

BTW toshiba's hdmi handshake thing is called regza-link & his tv doesn't have it.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      He doesn't know what he is missing. Next to a full blown surround system earphones are the next best thing. They pick up sound you never hear with TV speakers and they keep your ears warm in winter.
      Totally agree.
      There's nothing quite like it for movies or gaming in a darkened room.
      'Immersive' isn't the word.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gymno View Post
      Thankyou for all that info seawright. That's where things are a bit tricky.This site: How To Program SKY Plus Remote to Control AV Amplifier or Receiver does seem quite old (eg: no samsung) & as the method isn't endorsed by sky, codes are hard to find.
      Who mentioned Samsung? Oh, is that the make of your Hi-Fi? Didn't understand the Pioneer web-page, at least one of the buttons it instructs to press doesn't exist on my Sky RCU. I tried the Sony codes with Red+Select and they are not accepted (no double flash). If you are buying a new AV system and you can't find any codes for Samsung then the obvious solution would be to purchase another make.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      Who mentioned Samsung? Oh, is that the make of your Hi-Fi? Didn't understand the Pioneer web-page, at least one of the buttons it instructs to press doesn't exist on my Sky RCU. I tried the Sony codes with Red+Select and they are not accepted (no double flash). If you are buying a new AV system and you can't find any codes for Samsung then the obvious solution would be to purchase another make.
      Please forgive me, i've not been clear.
      I mentioned the absence of a samsung entry on that site as (potentially) an example of how dated the info may be.

I own a hifi but don't live with my dad. He has no hifi.

I was interested in wether the code you used to control yours though could be entered in the 'normal' way, like the pioneer page suggests.
      You've answered this for me. Thankyou.
      I think it's just a typo on that page btw. Should be 'tv' not 'av'.

I appreciate your help seawright.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by dholdi View Post
      What about something along these lines ?

The Voice Clarifying TV Speaker - Hammacher Schlemmer

Seems to be unavailable at most places but someone must do something similar.
      Thanks dholdi.
      Was a backburner initially but simplicity has many merits now.

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

You managed to find one then ?

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Not had a chance to look yet but hopefully i can line something up by the weekend.
      Planning a trip to stores with remote & codes, so if that fails i can just go ahead & order.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast