Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Can I swap my Sky Amstrad DRX595 for a second hand Sky Amstrad DRX890 box??

This is a discussion on Can I swap my Sky Amstrad DRX595 for a second hand Sky Amstrad DRX890 box?? within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi guys, I am after a bit of advice on a possible change of Sky TV boxes, depending on what ...

adam728 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin media
      Router: Vigin media super hub
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Can I swap my Sky Amstrad DRX595 for a second hand Sky Amstrad DRX890 box??

Hi guys,

I am after a bit of advice on a possible change of Sky TV boxes, depending on what is possible.

At the moment I have an Amstrad DRX890 Sky+HD box in my living room which I have been recording everything to. Upstairs I have an Amstrad DRX595 which has no recording facilities as I'm sure you all know. I am currently paying for the multi-room service with sky which has been fine.

I was wondering, if I swap the non recordable DRX595 box for a second Amstrad DRX890 Sky+HD box along with the viewing card, then changed the current DRX595 viewing card number across to the new DRX890 box on the sky website, would I then be able to record on this second box as well as the one I have currently, or do I need to pay extra with Sky to get the recordable feature 'enabled' or something?

The reason I ask is according to the Sky website it would cost 199 for the second box plus 60 standard installation, which I don't wish to pay just to record to more than one box!!

I have two dual cables coming into the house, one downstairs and one upstairs. The cable upstairs only has one F-connector fitted but I could add a second myself no problem which is probably the biggest (if only) reason Sky want to charge 60 for installation.

So, could I do all of this myself or ultimately do I need Sky to change something at their end to enable that second viewing card/ box subscription to record?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Re: Can I swap my Sky Amstrad DRX595 for a second hand Sky Amstrad DRX890 box??

There is no problem with this.

Once you have the new STB simply connect up the STB first. Connect both feeds from the LNB, also the telephone line and power it up.

You can either use the Interactive section to pair the viewing card to it (providing that the firmware is recent), visit their website or make a simple phone call.

Don't forget to connect the new STB to your home network as well so that it can access the CUTV and On Demand sections.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi Scubbie,

Thanks for the quick reply. One thing I had forgotten to mention until I read your reply is I don't have a telephone line. It was set up without (I know this is not supposed to happen) but we didn't have a telephone line and had no need for one so the engineer connected us up without.

Can I still do what I want with this being the case?

Thanks again,

Adam.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

There should be no problem. I have a friend who also has multi-room and her 2nd STB isn't connected to the telephone line either. We swapped the STB over some time back and she hasn't been penalised to date (touch wood).

Obviously you can't use the Interactive section though, just the website or phone call (although it would be expensive to use a mobile phone).

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

adam728 (24-04-13)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok I will give that a try, thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Regards,

Adam.