Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which box to choose?

This is a discussion on Which box to choose? within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi, First can anyone tell me if it will be okay to buy from say Ebay a box that can ...

Patricia_rose is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Which box to choose?

Hi,
      First can anyone tell me if it will be okay to buy from say Ebay a box that can record? At the moment I am using a very old standard box but would love to be able to record from the TV. I have the top package from Sky, plus one Multiroom subscription that does have a box that is capable of recording. I don't want HD it would be wasted on me....poor eyesight but all the boxes seem to be HD. So which box should I go for, would really appreciate some help.

2. Advertisement
      Annie UK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWFEL
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: TP-Link Archer C7
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Which box to choose?

You don't have to have a HD subscription

Personally I'd got for one of the latest Sky HD boxes as they get software updates before any other boxes.

The DRX890 that has 250GB of space for users to record or the DRX895 that has 1024GB or 1536GB of user space depending on the age of the box as newer ones have slightly bigger HDDs.

Stay clear of the Thomson boxes as Sky have withdrawn software support for these boxes.

We have both a DRX890 & DRX895 here and they are great

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Annie UK For This Useful Post:

Patricia_rose (12-04-13)

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Thanks

I would get a Sky+ HD (Amstrad) DRX890. Yes it is HD but there would not be any requirement to take a HD subscription. If you only have one feed from your dish to the existing box you are replacing then it would require switching to single feed mode. You would also have to contact Sky to ask them to add a free Sky+ subscription to your viewing card and to re-pair it to the new box before you would be able to record the TV channel you are watching.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

Patricia_rose (12-04-13)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

If you don't record on your multi room box, why not just switch your boxes over. As Annie says you will have to call Sky to get the recording functions enabled.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Patricia_rose (12-04-13)

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia_rose View Post
      Hi,
      First can anyone tell me if it will be okay to buy from say Ebay a box that can record? At the moment I am using a very old standard box but would love to be able to record from the TV. I have the top package from Sky, plus one Multiroom subscription that does have a box that is capable of recording. I don't want HD it would be wasted on me....poor eyesight but all the boxes seem to be HD. So which box should I go for, would really appreciate some help.
      Call Sky option for thinking of leaving. Ask them if they have any offers for this. You shouldn't need to discuss leaving as a lot of advisors will happily sell you a new box without HD at a better price than eBay (or make it worth taking HD for a year).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky

Patricia_rose is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
      Call Sky option for thinking of leaving. Ask them if they have any offers for this. You shouldn't need to discuss leaving as a lot of advisors will happily sell you a new box without HD at a better price than eBay (or make it worth taking HD for a year).

Hi Bubblegun,

Thanks for your reply, we tried what you said (before your reply) and were told that they could sell us a box for 199!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I nearly fell off my chair! And all this after being a customer with Sky for 20 years, never called them out and using an ancient box that loses reception in bad weather! It always seems to be that if you are a loyal customer always pays on time etc. etc. then you aren't given the options that a new customer would be given. Were also told that they no longer supplied a box that records without the HD option. I think like yourself, if I am correct, we also have Virgin for broadband, seriously thinking that I might have to switch to just Virgin, should save some money that way too.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Thanks

It is true that Sky do not provide boxes without an HD capability any more however there is no requirement for you to pay the extra 10.25 per month for an HD subscription.

moleman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh EAHAE
      Broadband ISP: Vodafone
      Router: THG3000
      Sky TV: Freesat/Now TV
      Thanks

The daft thing is if you decide to move to virgin then when you actually call to cancel Sky they will probably try to make you various offers to stay. They will also send you offers after leaving to try to temp you back. (Its what happened to me). What a way to run a company!!!

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,234 Times in 2,100 Posts

...using an ancient box that loses reception in bad weather!
      This might be caused by a loose arm or dish.

It you are able to gain access (safely!) to the dish.

Take a look at the fittings and see if there is any sign that they may be loose or anything to indicate that the dish may need someone to fix things. If there is nothing obvious carefully see if you can gently wobbly the arm or the dish, but please be careful. The dish should be secure and not fall out. If there is an issue, it might fall as you attempt to move it. Please anticipate this and ensure that it will not fall on you or anyone else.

I am pointing out a worse case scenario. In most cases all will be well.

If you are not happy to check things over, then I would definitely recommend that you get someone out to look at it for you. Sky will charge 65 for the call out, including parts. I don't know how much a local contractor will charge.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Hi Bubblegun,

Thanks for your reply, we tried what you said (before your reply) and were told that they could sell us a box for 199!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I nearly fell off my chair! And all this after being a customer with Sky for 20 years, never called them out and using an ancient box that loses reception in bad weather! It always seems to be that if you are a loyal customer always pays on time etc. etc. then you aren't given the options that a new customer would be given. Were also told that they no longer supplied a box that records without the HD option. I think like yourself, if I am correct, we also have Virgin for broadband, seriously thinking that I might have to switch to just Virgin, should save some money that way too.
      Have you had a Sky+ now or in past?
      If not then someone is taking the ****. A HD box without HD is 49 at worst for someone upgrading from a STB. If your tenure is 8+ years then you can get this for 29 or less depending on the advisor.

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast