Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Which box to choose?

This is a discussion on Which box to choose? within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Originally Posted by bubblegun Have you had a Sky+ now or in past? If not then someone is taking the ...

Patricia_rose is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Which box to choose?

Quote Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
      Have you had a Sky+ now or in past?
      If not then someone is taking the ****. A HD box without HD is 49 at worst for someone upgrading from a STB. If your tenure is 8+ years then you can get this for 29 or less depending on the advisor.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
      Hi Bubblegun

My parents have the Multi Room option and they have a Sky HD box but they don't take the HD option. I have been with Sky for approx. 20 years. So, because my parents have an up to date box is that the reason I was quoted 199? I seem to be on the wrong end of the deal, I pay the full subscription and end up with a bog standard box while they pay the 10 and they are able to record and watch TV when they feel like it! I must add they also had to pay 60 installation costs.

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

So if you cancelled your subscription your parents would also have to make other arrangements. The advice I gave in my original reply still stands and is probably your best option if you do not want extra installation costs. Having a Sky+ HD box (not Thompson) would also give you access to on demand content by connecting the box to your broadband router.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,234 Times in 2,100 Posts

eBay often has a collection of Sky+ HD STBs. Sometimes people get a 'dud', but most of the time everything is just fine.

Since Sky are offering you a replacement for around 200 (and no doubt +60 installation too), why not consider looking around locally for a second hand shop? It is possible to pick up a DRX890 for between 15-25 in some places. This is considerably less than what most people end up paying on-line.

However, my comments earlier about the dish still stand.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia_rose View Post
      Hi Bubblegun

My parents have the Multi Room option and they have a Sky HD box but they don't take the HD option. I have been with Sky for approx. 20 years. So, because my parents have an up to date box is that the reason I was quoted 199? I seem to be on the wrong end of the deal, I pay the full subscription and end up with a bog standard box while they pay the 10 and they are able to record and watch TV when they feel like it! I must add they also had to pay 60 installation costs.
      Okay missed that in original post that you had recording box already. Only way to get the stb at a reduced price even from cancellations will be to add HD but from Tuesday 16/04 this should be cheaper when Entertainment Extra+ finally launches. Then it will be only 5 extra for a year.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12