Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Sky Remote Question (possibly magic eye?)

This is a discussion on Sky Remote Question (possibly magic eye?) within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi guys, looking for some (technical) advice. Having had Sky recently installed at our cricket club, the box is located ...

cuna84 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01923
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sky Remote Question (possibly magic eye?)

Hi guys, looking for some (technical) advice. Having had Sky recently installed at our cricket club, the box is located behind the bar in a back room with the 2 tvs that show the picture being located in the lounge area. This unfortunately means that to change the channel you have to aim the remote behind the door and get an accurate aim to change the channel. Is there a device that can be placed on top or near one of the tvs or ideally both to link up to the Sky box that sends/relays the remote signal to the box. I know there is a device called a magic eye, but from my amateur knowledge this appears to be a device that is used to send the box signal to another tv, yet the 2 tvs are already hooked up the box as it were, can the magic eye be used merely as a remote extender to save having to point the sky remote at a funny angle, and this be aimed at the tv instead. Sorry for the somewhat garbled question, any help gratefully received. If this is a stupid question and a magic eye is perfect for this role then I apologise for the stupidity!!!

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Re: Sky Remote Question (possibly magic eye?)

The Magic-eye feeds off the UHF2 output from the Sky box (except the SkyHD STB). They should come with instructions to enable the output, but we can always help if required.

You could run a coaxial lead from the STB to where one of the two TVs are located but IMHO this would not be wise. Any punter with a Sky remote could mess around and change the channels.

If you were to locate the coaxial lead to some point in the room where just staff have access and connect the magic-eye to the end of this, then they would be able to change the channels.

An alternative idea would be to set up a small TV behind the bar which staff could see to enable them to change the channels from there. It would not need to be a massive TV and could be located up high to avoid the drinks. Again, in case you are running short of connections, it could connect using the UHF lead if necessary.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Thanks

Hi Scubbie, many thanks for the help, I guess what I was sort of trying to ask, and didn't make myself clear, is there just a device that acts like a relay, either wirelessly or through infra red, trying to avoid cables really, through to the sky box, from the tvs, many thanks for the help though .

I have discovered this, and whilst it is a cable, it could be placed towards the end of the bar, nearer one of the tvs so the aim is not quite so away from the tv as it were.....
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Marmitek-Eye...emote+extender

Would that do the trick?

Thanks

Sorry, yes there is an alternative. I have a Nikkai 5GHz AV Sender/Receiver which will allow the channels to be changed.

You simply stick the infra-red repeater to the front of the STB.

I bought them from Maplin, but they don't appear to have the specific model any more. Searching their site brings up other models, but I am not 100% that they have the lead. I did find them on eBay though (for the same price as I paid for them new (50)):

Nikkai A31JL Mini 5.8Ghz Wireless TV Audio/Video Sender & Receiver kit - Compact | eBay

There may be others which do the same job, so do look around.

As for where to stick the Infra-red repeater:

Sky Remote Question (possibly magic eye?)-sky-hd-ir-sensor.jpg

Thanks

Thanks Scubbie, that is more like what I was looking for. However, searching Amazon, I think this is what I will go for: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...=AFMM07DNHCYQJ and buy another transmitter for the 2nd tv. On the surface this appears to do just the job, just got to find a way to make the pyramids fit in with the asthetics!

Thanks

I am sure the customers would become tired of regular Egyptian theme nights

Seriously though, do hide them from the punters. My Sky+ HD Remote will work on any Sky+ HD STB and with a little work I can get it to control any other Sky STB model.

Thanks

Well I would like to think that the members at our cricket club are quite trustworthy (at least when sober :P), but re the Egyptian nights, I am sure that we can get a least 2 in a year, though in 5 years time they may wonder why we are persevering with them!
      Scubbie likes this.

Thanks

I know a few who have done it around a friend's home. It caused the person to think that they were losing their mind in one case.

Whether someone sees it as funny or not does depend on their humour, but I can imagine that in the middle of a match, many would not be impressed.

The new Sky+ app can be even funnier for those so inclined.

Thanks

I thought that would be the case as well, but I think with the Cricket Club being a commercial subscription you cannot access the box using the iphone app. I searched for the box, when on the same wifi, but it came up with no compatible boxes!

Thanks

If you have Free-WiFi available, just ensure that the STB is connected to a different network.

Ideally the WiFi should be set up so that you cannot see other devices on the same network. This would ensure that the STB is invisible.

Alternatively, check the settings (in the Parental Control area) and ensure that the ability to control the STB remotely is disabled.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast