Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Multi Room installation

This is a discussion on Multi Room installation within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi all, I am having Multiroom installed this thursday. I understand that Sky require the second box to be connected ...

simon1883 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01275
      Broadband ISP: Talk Talk 8meg
      Router: Netgear DGN1000
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Multi Room installation

Hi all,

I am having Multiroom installed this thursday. I understand that Sky require the second box to be connected to the phone - happy. However, the secopnd box is at the rear of the property, BT master socket is at the front. To what extent will the installer go in hooking up the multiroom box to the phone line? The Sky adviser said they will do everything necessary! There is no way an internal extension lead could be ran. Will they run extenally? Also could i just swap the cards around so that the multirm card is in the "main" box closer to the BT socket?

Any help would be great.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Re: Multi Room installation

The telephone cable I have seen them use is not suitable IMHO for use outside.

Each STB much dial home itself. The viewing cards are paired to the individual STB and swapping the cards will not help.

If there is no way that you can run a telephone extension yourself, please consider the following solution:

DECT Wireless Phone Line Extender : Extension Cables & Kits : Maplin Electronics

We've recommended them on several occasions to other members and they work quite well. There is a specific switch for 'Modem' which need to be used for the Sky STBs.

Something else to consider, should you get a telephone lead fitted, is an Ethernet Cable at the same time. I mention this now as you could run the two cables side by side and provide a suitable connection to allow the 2nd STB to connect to your router and through that you can then get access to Sky's Catch Up TV & On Demand library.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Thanks

So are you actually saying that both STB's have to be connected to the BT line? I think the installer might just find himself in the loft.... The only issue I see with the Maplins kits is that I have a wireless Router, Wireless thermostat, wireless handsets.... lots of potential for messed up signals.
      Thanks for the advice....

Thanks

Yes both STBs do need to be connected. This is stated in the Terms and Conditions.

As for the loft, this will only be attempted if good safe access is available.

I would suggest a trip to a local shop so that you can get a suitable kit and install the extension for yourself before he/she arrives. If you are unable to do the work, then a local tradesman should be able to help.

Thanks

So, if i get him to do all the installation works (excluding the telephone extension stuff) I am ok to sort that at the weekend and then pop the new card it to activate everything...

Thanks

The engineer should be able to complete everything, as well as the viewing card.

For info, should you not sort out the telephone line, you could end up being charged double for your Sky subscription.

Whilst sky are not accusing you personally, the penalty is there because some people have in the past got the multi-room setup and 'rented' out the 2nd STB at a discounted price to a friend/relative.