Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Magic eye problem

This is a discussion on Magic eye problem within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Originally Posted by ian walker Sorry Seawright, dont quite understand how i check if the sky box is not powering ...

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Magic eye problem

Quote Originally Posted by ian walker View Post
      Sorry Seawright, dont quite understand how i check if the sky box is not powering the magic eye
      You say that you have two magic eyes and that one is working. On the one that is working go into the hidden menu on the connected Sky box (settings 0 0 1 select). Under RF outlets switch RF outlet power supply off and save settings (green button). If the LED on magic eye remains illuminated then it is your TV set and not the Sky box that is providing it with a power supply.

2. Advertisement
      MartinP is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Slingbox
      Thanks

ian walker is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01604
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      You say that you have two magic eyes and that one is working. On the one that is working go into the hidden menu on the connected Sky box (settings 0 0 1 select). Under RF outlets switch RF outlet power supply off and save settings (green button). If the LED on magic eye remains illuminated then it is your TV set and not the Sky box that is providing it with a power supply.
      Have tried with RF on and off saving option each time.
      On both occasions the LED light is not illuminated until connected to the 32 inch model

Ned Ludd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Haxby
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet
      Router: TP-Link WR2543ND
      Sky TV: FreeSat
      Thanks

You have the Magic Eye the wrong way round!
      I've just tested one and they do NOT accept power from the male side, only the female side.
      Quite why your TV should power it is beyond me.

The male side of the Magic Eye should be plugged into your TV and the female side pointed at the Sky box. If your set up is the other way round then you must have a faulty unit!
      Geoff, York.
      Can't call me a Luddite now!

07sanchez is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I've been recently having the same issue. I have used a Magic eye for years with no real problems but recently the LED power has been intermittent.

I recenty got a person in the run Cat 5 cable and he left in the magic eye for remote purposes. I am using the same TV and same magic eye as before this was done..

I find it the LED works fine for a few days then stops working. I then spend 20 minutes pulling out the cables at the master TV and putting them back in, turning off RF2 power and back on again and the suddenly by magic the LED comes back on and works fine.

I don't understand at all why the LED (power) works occasionally.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

There is an overload cut out on the power supply which does not self reset. It usually requires turning off RF2 power and back on again. Whether just power cycling the box would be sufficient I do not know. I do not see how just attaching a network cable to the box would cause it to trip and wonder if something else was disturbed at the same time. Perhaps the next time this happens leave the cables alone and just try turning off RF2 power and back on again. If that doesn't work then there could be a whisker of braid at one end of the RF2 co-axial cable making intermittent contact with the centre conductor.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

07sanchez (21-02-13)

MartinP is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Slingbox
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      There is an overload cut out on the power supply which does not self reset. It usually requires turning off RF2 power and back on again.
      Oh, it used to reset as soon as you viewed the RF Outlet menu. No need to change anything.

As you say, a bad connection is a common cause of problems. Another cause is using incompatible splitters or wall sockets.

The other one I've come across is where people plug a tvLink directly into the TV aerial socket instead of using a flexible cable. Plugging it in directly can cause strain, which damages the internal connections in the tvLink and makes it intermittent.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12