Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Why are some people not upgrading to a new Sky+ HD STB?

This is a discussion on Why are some people not upgrading to a new Sky+ HD STB? within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Sky have for the past couple of years has some on-line content available for people with a suitable Sky+ HD ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Sky have for the past couple of years has some on-line content available for people with a suitable Sky+ HD STB.

In the most recent quarterly figures only around 1.3 million of Sky's customers have connected their STB to the Internet to benefit from these new services.

Sky On Demand is a free service, unless you which to download the PPV content which is clearly identified. Sure it does use up some bandwidth, which will be an issue for those who have monthly usage caps, but otherwise it is free.

There are also a lot of people who do not have a Sky+ HD STB and would be unable to connect their box to the Internet, even if they wanted to.

I would love to know why many people still have a white Sky STB or a Sky+ STB, which both cannot take advantage of the new services?

Some possible reasons might include:

• Don't want to loose all my recordings
      • Happy as I am
      • Don't want to pay the extra money for the HD subscription
      • Too much money for the Sky+ HD or 2TB Sky+ HD STB
      • Slow Internet
      • Not interested
      • Too complicated
      • Don't have a HD TV
      • Don't know how to get it changed

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

2. Advertisement
      HamMan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Fareham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks

Re: Why are some people not upgrading to a new Sky+ HD STB?

I have SKY+ HD STB but mainly because I can record more programmes and it is more stable than the white ones. I can get HD on the stations that broadcast it for free but will not pay extra for this. My broadband download speed is 1.4M at best therefore to download anything can take hours and at 1.4M SKYGO is hardly worth the effort.
      SKY recently contacted a friend who has the old white STB and offered a free upgrade to a SKY+ HD box and a years free HD.

jrfer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rushden
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

I am nowadays "fully sky'ed up " with a sky+HD connected by ethernet to my sky fibre pro BB.

Previously
      1) I was very happy with my "white" Sky+ and,
      2) at the time, being a VM BB subscriber, with all the traffic management and protocol throttling VM impose, downloading content to a sky STB, seemingly, presented more hassle then any percieved benefits.

But then, shortly after putting new batteries in the remote, my previously ultra reliable sky+ seemed to have given up the ghost as I could not get it out of standby one morning.

Well as it had given outstanding service for many years I figured it'ed had a good innings and owed me nothing. I arranged an upgrade to HD with Sky and waited for the new box to arrive. In the process I discoved sky fibre was available in my locale so ordered that as well.

It's been a couple of months now and I wonder how I ever managed without on demand. I have downloaded so many series that I missed or didn't fancy first time around with the luxury of not having to worry about download management.

All in all I am very satisfied with my package although I still see little difference in the PQ of HD
      itype likes this.

itype is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Basingstoke, THBZ
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

We are fully Sky'd asides from On Demand downloads. Getting Fibred next Tuesday so my parents will be most happy haha.

pevenseypirate is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01582
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Connecting a STB to the Internet takes away access to sky anytime functionality. If the STB is not connected to the router then pressing the on demand button gives me instant access to the film premieres that sky has already dumped to the hard drive. If the STB is connected then I have to stream those movies instead. This is more long winded, can add cost and also inconvenience other broadband users in the house. Much better to be disconnected if I don't want to watch all those old films.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I was surprised how much we use On Demand. We have 3 boxes and all of them are now connected.

The difference for us between Anytime and On Demand, yes you have to wait a few seconds for it to start streaming, but it is what we want and not what Sky think we want.

For anyone on Sky Broadband, not having a STB connected to the network is a no brainer, no additional cost, and TV what you want to watch, when you want to watch. And the biggest bonus, no adverts.

I think On Demand is one of the best innovations Sky have come up with, infact, I would say it is more appealing then 3D TV
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

pevenseypirate is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01582
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      The difference for us between Anytime and On Demand, yes you have to wait a few seconds for it to start streaming, but it is what we want and not what Sky think we want.
      What I want is both.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pevenseypirate View Post
      What I want is both.
      Can see why but tbh we never used anytime whereas on demand is being hammered. It has totally changed the way we watch tv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

If the STB is connected then I have to stream those movies instead.
      It depends on how you access them. If you use the Showcase tab, which is material already downloaded to your box, pressing record will put the movie straight into your Planner ready for watching. If you use the Library or Movies tab they will download and you have to wait on them being ready to view. With the Library or Movie tab, you will get the option to record in HD or SD if both are available. You don't get that option with Showcase, you get what is there.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Connecting a STB to the Internet takes away access to sky anytime functionality.
      Interesting that you should think this.

What actually happens in the Anytime function remains (unless you separately disable it in the settings). However instead of it being call Anytime, the section becomes renamed to "Showcase" and this section works in the same way as it did previously.

Interestingly though I just searched for "Intruders" which is currently in the Showcase section and selected it. It must also be in the On Demand section as my STB started to download it. I cancelled that and went back to the Showcase section, pressed <R> and it was immediately available in my planner, along with the failed download.

If the STB is not connected to the router then pressing the on demand button gives me instant access to the film premieres that sky has already dumped to the hard drive. If the STB is connected then I have to stream those movies instead. This is more long winded, can add cost and also inconvenience other broadband users in the house. Much better to be disconnected if I don't want to watch all those old films.
      Sure this will be an issue where multiple people are sharing the same connection. This will improve with a Fibre connection if your ADSL speed is slow.

If it helps, the On Demand downloads do not max out your connection. If anything I think that all too often the On Demand downloads slow down when a connection is busy. However I realise that gamers just want a connection that is just fast at all times, with no other activity.

With the design of the On Demand download system, you download what you want, but it only becomes available when enough is on your STB at the speed it is downloading at, without you getting to the point in the programme or film where the download hasn't completed.
      Last edited by Scubbie; 25-11-12 at 07:20 PM.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast