Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Moving to new Flat, communal dish, and no idea how to setup!

This is a discussion on Moving to new Flat, communal dish, and no idea how to setup! within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi Guys, I'm moving to a new flat in a couple of days and I'm facing a bit of a ...

FirasKay is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Moving to new Flat, communal dish, and no idea how to setup!

Hi Guys,

I'm moving to a new flat in a couple of days and I'm facing a bit of a technical issue. The building has a communal dish setup which according to the agent 'allows sky subscribers to just plug-in'. I've managed to ask the tenant in the flat at the moment to take a photo of the cable sockets available on the property and I've attached it.

Now I would've thought there would be actual wires that would plug into my Sky+ box, but instead it's just 3 confusing sockets (TV, FM DAB and SAT).

1- Which one of these sockets would the sky feed come through
      2- Why is the SAT covered in some blue-ish thing?
      3- What cables would I need, at my current place I have my own Sky dish, and I can see the connections going through my box, do I just cut off the cables going from the dish to the box?
      4- If so, then don't I need some sort of adapter or converter that will connect the wire to the socket? What would that be?

Any help appreciated!!

PS: Sorry for pic quality, it was MMSed to me by the tenant.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Moving to new Flat, communal dish, and no idea how to setup!

1. The SAT one
      2. It is probably a plastic cap to protect the screws.
      3. You need a suitable length cable with 'F' connectors at each end.- Coaxial WF100 digitalSatellite cable Sky and Freeview extension leads double screened
      4. As 3.

You will only have one connection to the dish which limits your use of Sky+ to one channel. ie., You can only record and watch the same live program. You can record one program and watch a previous recording. Your box must be set to the 1 dish connection mode.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

FirasKay (28-10-12)

FirasKay is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks a lot Isitme!

1- On the issue of wires, what if I just cut off the dish wire going into the box at the moment and just buy an 'F' connector, that should do the trick right? The wire should be a coaxial WF100 at the moment?

2- Do I need a M2F cable then?

3- Do I set the box to 1 dish in the settings?

Just out of interest, what are FM DAB and TV sockets for, freeview?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

You could do that, but there is no point really, the blue cap will cover a threaded connector which you can fix the cable to. An RG6 with threaded F plugs fitted is what you need. You just need to use the drop down box to choose the length and colour you require. One end screws to the wall plate and the other to Input 1 on the STB. There is a setting in the STB which allows you to set it to single feed mode. Press Services on the remote, then 001>Select. Scroll down to Single Feed mode and set to ON.

FM and DAB are radio connections, the TV socket is for terrestrial TV. Whether its Freeview or not will depend on the Tuner in your TV.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

FirasKay (29-10-12)