Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Very Quiet Sound

This is a discussion on Very Quiet Sound within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I've got an XBox 360 in HDMI2 and the STB in HDMI1. The Xbox is much louder than the STB ...

Poppet25 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCFOM
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Very Quiet Sound

I've got an XBox 360 in HDMI2 and the STB in HDMI1. The Xbox is much louder than the STB and I have to have the volume on the TV nearly double the volume to be able the hear the sound on the STB clearly. Checked all the settings on the STB and they seem right. The HDMI cable for the XBox is quite an expensive one that I blagged when I bought the TV. The Sky cable was the one supplied with the box.

Is it worth while swapping the cables and ports over or is it usual to have the volume quite high on the TV for the STB?

Thanks in advance...

2. Advertisement
      Shonk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus RT-AC88U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Very Quiet Sound

sky output the sound very low

btw you wont get dolby digital from a drx 890 via hdmi if you have an av receiver
      you have to use optical or the rca digital connector

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Most tv's now have a 'volume correction' setting for each input socket, usually found within the audio menu options whilst the tv is on the input channel in question.

All mine are set to default, apart from hdmi 1 (sky), which has to be on full whack to (just) equalise with everything else.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to gymno For This Useful Post:

Scubbie (25-10-12)

Poppet25 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCFOM
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Found an AVL (Auto Volume Level) setting in the sound menu, turned it on and it's much louder now with the STB. Thanks for your help

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Hi poppet.
      (Hmmm, i've never said that before & it feels weird)

I might be wrong but i think you've tapped into a technology there that aims to level out the volume across the board, ie: to counteract adverts being a lot louder, volume differences between channels or very quiet / loud scenes in a film etc.

If it works for you that's cool, but it can sometimes be at the expense of a tiny bit of quality.

What i was referring to was volume 'correction', which usually shows a graphical slider bar that you can set to +/- 1, 2, 3 etc & would apply only to the input channel the tv is on while you're adjusting it.

On my tv it's not actually in the audio menu but in the normal set-up menu & has no effet on quality at all.