Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Move One Sky box to another address temporarily.

This is a discussion on Move One Sky box to another address temporarily. within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Is it possible to temporarily take a sky+ box to another address (leaving a HD box connected at home), connect ...

will66 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Move One Sky box to another address temporarily.

Is it possible to temporarily take a sky+ box to another address (leaving a HD box connected at home), connect to the satellite feed and still receive all sky channels as per the home subscription? Or is the box somehow registered to the home address and telephone number?
      The reason for the question is that I am planning to holiday in England - self catering - but would still like access to sky channels knowing that the weather will probably be wet and cold!

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Move One Sky box to another address temporarily.

Is it possible to temporarily take a sky+ box to another address
      Officially no, but many do. There are quite a few who regularly take their box to their caravan or holiday home for weekend breaks and longer holidays. Just be sure you take your card with you to get the full advantage. If you are travelling out of your area you will not get the local programming but that should not be a problem. If you really want to keep up with the local news, you can usually tune in manually.

I have just realised you have multi room so if the boxes are due to call back during the time you are away, you may get a letter/email from Sky telling you to connect the box. That should not be a problem if it is only for a couple of weeks. Just don't plug the 'away' box into the phone line and no one will be any the wiser.
      Last edited by Isitme; 26-06-12 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Added a bit.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

will66 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the advice. Took the box and got access to all channels. However, as I only had one feed I couldn't timer record anything. The box always looked for the second feed even though the box was turned off but power connected. I guess that there must be a way around this, but as I was only away for a week it wasn't a problem.

Thanks

I have read that there is a work around for this for the Sky+ which involves setting your manual timer to record a program for 24 hours that you can't receive. This apparently fools the box into thinking the Input 2 is in use, even though the recording will fail and forces it to use Input 1. You can still only watch the program you are recording or a previously recorded program.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

steelysteph is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lancaster
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: VM Hub 3
      Sky TV: 2TB Minnie Mous
      Thanks

You should be able to switch the box to single-feed mode in system settings.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steelysteph View Post
      You should be able to switch the box to single-feed mode in system settings.
      Not possible with a Sky+ box, only an HD one.

TomD

Useful Utilites

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

steelysteph (12-07-12)