Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Own Cabling?

This is a discussion on Own Cabling? within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Would sky be happy to use existing cabling to upgrade to multiroom and connect the 2nd feed on my HD ...

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Own Cabling?

Would sky be happy to use existing cabling to upgrade to multiroom and connect the 2nd feed on my HD box?

Currently I have a single feed to the HD box because the cabling is hidden under the floor and inside the walls, however we'll soon be running some new cabling as we need to replace a telephone extension that was damaged when some building work was done.

The plan is to run cat5/cat6 to various points in the house (Currently the network is mostly wi-fi and powerline)

as well as satellite grade coax to 2 locations

1) To enable the 2nd feed to the existing sky box

2) To enable a 2nd sky HD box to be installed in the adjacent room

We're quite happy to do the cabling work inside but not so happy about changing the LNB as I'm worried about knocking the alignment out on the minidish.

If the cabling was run to point where skys installer can easily get to it will they be happy to just do the final bit where they install a new LNB and connect it up or do I need to find an independent installer?

Also can anyone advise on what the recommended cabling to get as I presume not all "satellite grade" coax is created equal.

2. Advertisement
      Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

Re: Own Cabling?

Quote Originally Posted by dragon2611 View Post
      .........If the cabling was run to point where skys installer can easily get to it will they be happy to just do the final bit where they install a new LNB and connect it up or do I need to find an independent installer?

Also can anyone advise on what the recommended cabling to get as I presume not all "satellite grade" coax is created equal.......
      Yes, you can lay your own cabling if you wish. WF100 is high quality and fits the bill. Don't skimp on the length you buy. Cable can always be shortened to suit, you don't want to end up having to extend it.

Sky installer will do the rest.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),