Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

rf2 magic eye multiroom problems

This is a discussion on rf2 magic eye multiroom problems within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; have a sky hd box, and for around a year now i have had cable going from rf2 to the ...

jambo_makaveli is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: llanelli
      Broadband ISP: bt broadband
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

rf2 magic eye multiroom problems

have a sky hd box, and for around a year now i have had cable going from rf2 to the tv upstairs, which has a magic eye attached so i can watch and change channels in bed at night. great.

wife bought a new cabinet for downstairs tv which has doors on front, as opposed to shelves like our old one. it has become annoying to have to sit every day with the doors open just to change the channel. then i thought of magic eye!!!

ordered a magic eye, and am having an absolute nightmare........

what i want to do is somehow use a magic eye on my main tv, so i can keep the cabinet doors closed, and then also keep my cable running upstairs where another magic eye allows me to change channels and watch sky upstairs.

so far i have basically done 2 different things.......

firstly i stuck one of the little triangular splitters into rf2 and then a magic eye into one part, and the upstairs cable into the other, which runs to the magic eye upstairs. the main tv would now work great with the doors closed and the magic eye, but upstairs the picture was horrific, i could barely see it, and the magic eye wouldnt work.

then i thought i cracked it....

i plugged a magic eye directly into the downstairs rf2, and then from the other end of said magic eye connected and ran the cable to upstairs magic eye....... as i went upstairs and into bedroom, the picture was the best its ever been, but magic eye wasnt lit, and wouldnt control tv. so im basically 2/3rds of the way there, but am now well and truly stumped!!!!

from reading bits online, im guessing there is enough power to get me a picture upstairs, but not quite enough to let me control it, i.e to power upstairs magic eye as well as downstairs?

can anyone help, its driving me crazy!!!

thanx in advance!

2. Advertisement
      Woodster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01442
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: rf2 magic eye multiroom problems

You just need to get a 2 way IR bypass amplifier like a Global F120 or T120. Both of these amps run off of the 9v DC from the RF-2 socket so no extra power required. The amps are quite small and can sit behind your sky box.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Woodster For This Useful Post:

jambo_makaveli (03-05-12)

jambo_makaveli is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: llanelli
      Broadband ISP: bt broadband
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

thanks for replying so quickly and for your help

would this be any good? 2-Way Compact Amplifer : Aerial Amplifiers & Distribution : Maplin Electronics

as i have a maplin 2 mins from my house.

if so, then could you talk me through the setup, as im not sure at all, 2 main things are worrying me, do i plug this thing directly into rf2, as its quite bulky it looks like it may not fit, and secondly, from reading about it, it seems you need f connectors? just to confuse it all, looks like they screm on, then does my aerial cable go in the other end of that f connector???

sorry, i just havent a clue, thanx again for your help, its much appreciated!

Woodster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01442
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

That will work fine. Get a few F connectors (screw on) while you're in Maplins. Simply get a cable from RF-2 to the amplifier input and then connect the cable to your bedroom and the cable for your other magic eye to the 2 outputs of the amp. If you need to change from F connector to Coax connector, you should be able to adapters from maplins so you wont need to chop any cables.