Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Multiroom and Phone line connections.

This is a discussion on Multiroom and Phone line connections. within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Apologies if this has been covered before but I can't find anything answering my specific question and didn't want to ...

sb360 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01209
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 1TB
      Thanks

Multiroom and Phone line connections.

Apologies if this has been covered before but I can't find anything answering my specific question and didn't want to drag up an old thread.

I have recently had Sky installed for the first time and as part of the package I get free multi-room for 12 months, now this has all been installed and set up (whilst I was at work) and apparently the engineer was very nice and competent, and from what I have seen the work he has done was good, I am worried by one aspect of it though and that is the phone line connection. I am told by those who were around when he installed it that he simply ran a long phone connection for setup to both boxes and then unplugged and removed the cable. He also didn't mention to either of the people in the house that this was a problem or that there was likely to be any follow up to this at all.

From what I have read it is likely to be checked upon by Sky, and I was just wondering where I am likely to stand in terms of getting it sorted if they do come back to me on it, is it down to me or them to remedy it, and who should supply the hardware to do so (they would both need to be reasonably long cable runs and are not easy to hide).

Should I go to them about the issue or wait and see if they pick up on it ?

Any help or advice is appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Multiroom and Phone line connections.

Should I go to them about the issue or wait and see if they pick up on it ?
      You should raise it with Sky. If you don't get it fixed you will almost certainly be charged the full rate for the multi room. The TV installer will usually fit a phone connection if it is a reasonable length, but I don't think they are obliged to fit one when the distance is over long. Most users have their own extension fitted before the box is installed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

In my various research into the subject I have seen a few reports that state that for multi-room installations the engineers are actually allocated extra time specifically for sorting out the phone line problems, and several people say that theirs has not been connected at all and haven't had any comeback from it, I assume there would be some form of warning letter from sky before they take any action or start double charging?

I don't particularly like the idea of dropping the engineer in it as everything he has done is to a very good standard and I am told he was a thoroughly nice bloke, and I would really like to avoid the upheaval of the extra wiring as to get it tidy it means going under one carpet and through 2 walls, one of which is nearly a metre of solid granite.

Thanks

You should get a warning letter, but some have claimed in the past that no letter was received and the first they knew of it was when the charge was added to their account. With a single box Sky don't take any action but in the case of multi room, they are far more strict. It is of course, up to you what you do.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,233 Times in 2,099 Posts

There are some instances where a Multi-room setup exists where the 2nd STB is not connected to the telephone line and no warning letters have ever been sent out.

I don't know where the setting is, but I suspect that the installers have an option to disable this dial-back feature where the 2nd STB is far from the telephone line.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

sb360 (21-03-12)

Thanks

If that is the case I may well leave it and see what comes of it, although in this case neither STB is connected to a phone line. It has only been in for a few days, will leave it for a while and see if they make any mention of it to me, I have read somewhere else that there is a possibility that Sky can mark the account as "Multiroom (No Phone Line)" or something similar, with any luck this will be the outcome.

In the worst case scenario I fancy my chances with the argument that they installed it and we haven't changed a thing since they did and it is therefore not out fault or responsibility.

Thanks

there is a possibility that Sky can mark the account as "Multiroom (No Phone Line)" or something similar
      Never heard of that, exceptions can be made for a single box, but not multi room. The T & Cs require that both boxes be connected to a phone line at all times, not just for the 12 month contract as it is with single boxes. If you want to take the chance, by all means do so, but be sure to check all the mail you receive from Sky and check your bill monthly.

Sky TV| Setting up Sky Multiroom - What it is and how it works

TomD

Useful Utilites

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

sb360 (21-03-12)

Thanks

It has got to be worth a try, I will keep a close eye on any billing and correspondence and see how we go.

Thankyou for your advice.