Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

skysay multi-room -some questions

This is a discussion on skysay multi-room -some questions within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; After the umpteenth row over 'Geordie shore' v the football, the misses has decreed that we have to get multi ...

PhilofLeeds is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

skysay multi-room -some questions

After the umpteenth row over 'Geordie shore' v the football, the misses has decreed that we have to get multi room. Before I take the plunge a few questions;

We currently have one sky box (hd+) that is fed, thru magic eyes, into four other rooms.

If I get an additional box, will we then be able to magic eye either box on the four other Tvs as well? Or would we have to split, ay two rooms are on box 1 and two are on box 2?

I assume that both boxes can record stuff. currently we can record a max of two progs at any one time. With an extra box could we then record up to 4 things (ie two per box)?

As we've got one box feeding the whole house, does the second box sit alongside the first one? Or does it go in a completely different room?

I'm sure there'll be more questions but that's it fr now.

Any help gratefully received.

Phil

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,234 Times in 2,100 Posts

Re: skysay multi-room -some questions

ideally you would have the 2nd STB in another room.

As for the Magic Eye - it is possible for you to control more than one STB, but the main box supplied for Multi-room currently is the 'SkyHD STB'. This has no UHF outputs, but it is free and requires only one feed.

However it does have both Scart & HDMI, so you could connect an AV Sender to it.

Alternatively you could go for a Sky+ HD STB or the 1TB model. Another option would be to purchase a 2nd hand Sky+ HD STB off eBay.

In all cases you will likely need to connect both STBs to the telephone. Otherwise you could end up paying a double subscription. If you don't have a telephone extension near where the 2nd STB is to be located, there are such things as 'DECT Senders'.

Finally there was a post back in December which hinted that the SkyHD STB would be able to interogate the contents on a Sky+ HD STB and play it's content, provided they are on the same LAN.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

PhilofLeeds (05-03-12)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Scubbie, thanks for the info so far....

So to clarify, the standard package for a second Sky box isnt a Sky+ box?

What is an AV sender? Would this mean another set of remotes in each room again?

If I bought a second hand box, would I still need to pay the multi-room fee? What help would another additional box without a card be?

What has the phone line got to do with the subscription?

Where does a LAN come into this? I'm confused?

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

If I bought a second hand box, would I still need to pay the multi-room fee? What help would another additional box without a card be?
      If you want to watch the same programmes / entitlements as the first box, then yes, a multiroom fee is payable.

What has the phone line got to do with the subscription?
      When you have a multiroom subscription, you have to have it plugged into the phoneline for 12 months. This to stop people getting multiroom then moving the box out of the main address for others to watch etc
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PhilofLeeds View Post
      So to clarify, the standard package for a second Sky box isnt a Sky+ box?
      Correct. The 'Free' box supplied when signing up to Multi-room is the SkyHD STB. It contains no hard drives, but is capable of working with either an SD or HD TV. It also has only one feed, but many Sky TV installers will fit a twin coax lead if asked when it is installed.

What is an AV sender? Would this mean another set of remotes in each room again?
      An AV sender can plug into either the Scart or HDMI port, depending which you go for. It will allow you to transmit the picture to the receiver.

I have the one linked below for a Scart socket. You can add multiple receiver units. It also allows you to send the Infra-red signal from the Sky Remote back to the Sky STB, although the details specify that it doesn't support Sky's STBs. The picture is a little fuzzy in my case, and there are cheaper sources. There are also other products available:

Mini 5.8GHz Video Sender : Wireless Video Senders : Maplin Electronics

HDMI Senders tend to be a bit more expensive. There are also long HDMI cable available too.

Where does a LAN come into this? I'm confused?
      Currently, since you aren't on Sky's Unlimited Broadband, you cannot take advantage of Anytime+. Sky announced at the end of January that this service will be opened up so that people on other UK broadband services can download Anytime+ content. This means that many people, including myself, have connected the Sky+ HD STBs to their home networks so that we can download over the Internet.

Prior to that announcement, someone posted on another forum, which was subsequently cross-posted on this forum, that Sky would allow thSky HDHD STB to access the contents of the hard drive on the Sky+ HD STB when they are both connected to the same home network. There is no date for this, but it would mean that it you recorded something, then you can view it on either STB.

To give the post some credence, there were several other items mentioned, which have mostly come true.

Exchange:
      Thanks

The more I ask the more I'm confused....... !!!!!

Will I be able to chose whether to watch STB1 or STB2 on any of my TVs through the house?

Thanks

The more I ask the more I'm confused....... !!!!!

Will I be able to chose whether to watch STB1 or STB2 on any of my TVs through the house?
      Sorry, with your current set up, the Magic-eye is supplying 4 TVs. Unless you disconnect it yourself, then this will continue to be the case.

In the room where you intend to connect the 2nd STB you would no longer require a Magic-Eye.

If you want to set up the other rooms to view the 2nd STB, then you will need to do one of the following:
      • Route the coax to pass through the 1st STB, then the 2nd STB, then to the splitter that feeds the TVs is the other 3 rooms.
      • Purchase and use the AV Sender. Attach the Transmitter part to the 2nd STB and the receiver/s to any TV that you wish to view it on

Note: If the TV that you have the 2nd STB beside does not have a HDMI input, then you will need to get a Scart splitter too (this does work).

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

You can get a Sky+HD 1 Tb box for 49 when upgrading to multi-room. This is 150 pounds cheaper than opting for a standard Sky+HD box for some reason. All multi room installations cost 60, no matter what box you choose.

If I get an additional box, will we then be able to magic eye either box on the four other Tvs as well? Or would we have to split, ay two rooms are on box 1 and two are on box 2?
      It would be quite complicated to connect both boxes to the same magic eye system. You would be better having 2 on box one and 1 on box 2, or vice versa. Don't forget one of the rooms served by the magic eyes will have a STB in it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      When you have a multiroom subscription, you have to have it plugged into the phoneline for 12 months. This to stop people getting multiroom then moving the box out of the main address for others to watch etc
      Be careful with this!
      When you have multiroom, all your boxes need to be connected to the phoneline ALL the time, whether you've had them 1 month or 10 years.