Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Remote via wifi

This is a discussion on Sky Remote via wifi within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; The trend on new TVs and AV equipment is to have an iOS/Android app to control their equpment via wifi ...

ianbuckley is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01782
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sky Remote via wifi

The trend on new TVs and AV equipment is to have an iOS/Android app to control their equpment via wifi as an alternative to the standard Infrared remotes. Now that the Sky boxes can be connected to a local network, for Anytime+ I would have thought this would be a logical progression and could be built into the Sky+ app. You could then chose to have the on-screen information of the Tv or phone including the EPG.

Does anyone know whether this is planned for the future?
      Last edited by ianbuckley; 22-02-12 at 08:15 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Re: Sky Remote via wifi

There are some things planned for release, as usual the details are sketchy at this point, but it has been mentioned that it will be possible to use the SkyHD STB to access the contents of a Sky+ HD STB.

There was an app release by Apple, but I think now withdrawn, which allowed some remote control features.

As for whether you could use a PC or other device to access the contents of a Sky+ HD STB, using Sky Go, for example, I haven't heard anything myself, but I wouldn't rule it out.

Sky isn't very quick at adopting many of the new technologies and if you were to look at their latest offering (Fibre Broadband), it has taken them around 3 years to get it launched since BT first starting work on FTTC.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

The trend on new TVs and AV equipment is to have an iOS/Android app to control their equpment via wifi as an alternative to the standard Infrared remotes.
      As a wifi remote would need the box to be wifi enabled it would require a hardware upgrade. (I am not referring to the ethernet port here) I can't see this happening any time soon as Sky are not going to go out of their way to allow 3rd party devices to operate their equipment.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

ianbuckley is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01782
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      As a wifi remote would need the box to be wifi enabled it would require a hardware upgrade. (I am not referring to the ethernet port here) I can't see this happening any time soon as Sky are not going to go out of their way to allow 3rd party devices to operate their equipment.
      If the Ethernet port was connected to a wifi router, as for Anytime+, would this not negate the need for any wifi enabling hardware? Any third party device would only be a RF remote control as against any third party IR universal remote.

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Fab Fibre (Sky network)
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ianbuckley View Post
      If the Ethernet port was connected to a wifi router, as for Anytime+, would this not negate the need for any wifi enabling hardware? Any third party device would only be a RF remote control as against any third party IR universal remote.
      The Apple Remote app works like this. It can communicate with Apple TV and Mac computers from an iPhone or iPad as long as they are all on the same LAN. iPhone or iPad is wireless to the router, but Apple TV and Mac can be connected by wireless or ethernet to the same LAN. I think I read somewhere(*) not too long ago that one of the proposed upgrades to the Sky+ app is to enable STB control over the LAN.

(*) see final set of bullet points in post 1 of the following:
      http://208.74.205.93/t5/Sky-com-My-S...ate/td-p/56841
      Last edited by speedyrite; 22-02-12 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Added link to where I read it
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

Ridcully is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Interesting thread as I was just about to ask the same question. The only alternative I could find was the "iwavit" but as that means buying additional hardware I'll leave it for the moment