Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

No Sky TV Signal. Please help me!

This is a discussion on No Sky TV Signal. Please help me! within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi guys, I have an issue with sky tv which I would like your expert help please: I recently moved ...

drchris is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

No Sky TV Signal. Please help me!

Hi guys,
      I have an issue with sky tv which I would like your expert help please:

I recently moved to a new house and the engineer came and installed a new dish on the roof and connected it (via 2 feeds) to my sky HD box.

The issue is, I get a "No TV Signal" on all channels. The engineer said however that he is able to get perfect picture on many channels on his little mini handheld tv device, so he is blaming my Sky HD box. If I go into the settings menu / signal. There is 0 signal or signal quality for all channels.

However, if I go to channel 998 (which is SKY tv help channel) or some radio channels like Radio1, they are fine, and in the signal menu, it shows good strength and quality.

So for me to get radio, means the cables running to dish are fine! So why cant I get any other channels? Is it signal is not strong enough for the sky box, but its fine for his little tv device?

I called sky support and they told me to reset LNB settings which I did but that didnt solve anything. So they suggested I call an engineer to help :-/ But the engineer blames sky or the sky box!

So I'm basically stuck! And im rather desperate for help ;-)

Thank you so much in advance.

Chris

2. Advertisement
      Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

Re: No Sky TV Signal. Please help me!

What make of box do you have?? Look at the back for the manufacturer and model number. And how old?

Check that the box is not in Single Feed Mode.

Check that your two cable connections are OK. Specifically check that the F-connectors are properly screwed into the Dish Input sockets on the box. Make sure there is a centre core of around 3mm in order to make a good connection in the Dish Input sockets. Quite often the core is either bent over or snapped off when connecting everything.

Have you got access to another box to try?
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

drchris is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for helping me Kenedin. I've got the Sky DRX890. Its the standard SKY+ HD box. It should be 1.5 years old.

I checked in settings. SIngle feed mode is off.

Well cable connections seem fine. The centre core looks straight.

I don't have another box but I've tried connecting through my tv's satellite input and it does get a list of the channels although I don't get some like BBC. I get most sky channels although cant access them as TV doesnt accept sky card.

Could it be the satellite dish problem?

Chris

Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

Have you got near 100% Signal Strength by chance? I've read somewhere that these particular boxes don't like 'too strong' a signal. That may or may not be the case - but it has been mentioned a few times on other forums.

Aside from that, I can't determine exactly what's wrong, but possibilities are dish misalignment or not vertical, LNB skew incorrectly set, maybe even the LNB focus on the dish is wrong ( LNB either too near or too far from the dish on its arm ), loose F-connectors, maybe even the LNB itself.

Bottom line is the installer needs to come back and check everything. Was he in a hurry in the first place? Was he a Sky installer or a subcontractor?

Sorry to be so vague about all of this, but you do need someone to re-examine the setup, preferably with a different box. Sounds as though the installation is recent, and a warranty exists, so get onto Sky and get someone out. You have lost service for a few days, so mention that as well. They often give you a credit for lost service.

Good luck.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),