Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky+ HD and blu-ray recorder

This is a discussion on Sky+ HD and blu-ray recorder within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi, At the moment I have a panasonic TV and DVD recorder (without HDD). I use the DVD recorder to ...

Awest3 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01527
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Sky+ HD and blu-ray recorder

Hi, At the moment I have a panasonic TV and DVD recorder (without HDD).
      I use the DVD recorder to copy programs (Crafting usually) to DVD so that they can be viewed on a PC. I have no problems doing this. I would like to buy a Panasonic Blu-ray recorder so that I can continue to do the same copying but also watch Blu-ray DVD's. Unfortunately I can't find a Blu-ray recorder which does not have a built in HDD. So, and these are my questions, can I use a Blu-ray recorder to record programs from Sky and how would I do it. DO I have to record to the Sky box first then re-record them to the Blu-ray HDD and then to a DVD? If this is so how do I connect up the Sky+ HD box to the Blu-ray box? The one I'm looking at has two HDMI connectors and twin HD freeview tuners (I'm assuming I would not use these and would continue to come through the Sky+ HD box.

It seemed such a simple thing when I first thought about buying a Blu-ray recorder..but now it seems very complicated..or is it just me..?
      I'd be very happy with a simple solution.

Thanks Al

2. Advertisement
      Old_nick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky+ HD and blu-ray recorder

Due to the continuing paranoia of the American Movie Industry, there is no simple solution. There is no Blu-Ray recorder on the market that can record from a source other than a Freeview or a Freesat tuner. There are NO high-definition video inputs on any of the recorders, so recording in HD from a Sky box is not possible just by using cables. Any HDMI connectors you have on these recorders will be for output, not input.

Incidentally, a HDD can be quite useful, because at least you can edit stuff before committing it to BD.

So, unless your programmes are to be found on Freeview or Freesat, you won't be able to commit them to disk in any simple way.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

i'm pretty sure that you'll be able to record onto disc exactly as before using the scart connections. i do & have all panasonic equipment. set the scarts to output / input in rgb for best picture & you're away. you can record direct to dvd if you want. no need to record to either hdd first, sky box or recorder.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I don't think it is any different from an ordinary DVD/HDD recorder, which many use to archive programs from Sky, either direct or from the Sky HD Planner. The main point is that you will not be able to record in HD, only SD, so a Blue-ray recorder may be overkill. It may be cheaper to go for a Blue-ray Player and a DVD/HDD recorder.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,233 Times in 2,099 Posts

If your concern is that there isn't enough storage space on your Sky+ HD STB, then you could look in to upgrading the drive yourself.

Many members have done this successfully and now have their own 1TB, 1.5TB or 2TB drives installed.

Take a look at the threads on doing this first to see what your STB can do and if you are interested in doing it.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.