Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Audio/Video Sender with Sky+ HD?

This is a discussion on Audio/Video Sender with Sky+ HD? within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Basically, I want my Sky+ HD upstair in my room as well as in the living room. But the problem ...

seaninfrared is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gorseinon, South Wales
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Audio/Video Sender with Sky+ HD?

Basically, I want my Sky+ HD upstair in my room as well as in the living room.

But the problem is the set up.

Current set up is Sky+ HD box downstairs connected via HDMI to a HD TV.

I want to transmit this upstairs to a SD TV without an HDMI input.

So I want to know, is it possible to connect an AV sender to the Sky box's SCART socket, and it still display HDMI downstairs, while sending the SCART signal upstairs to an SD TV?

I do NOT want Sky multiroom, as I do not need to watch a different channel, I just want to watch the current channel downstairs.

E.g. one of THESE!

Thanks in advance!

Ok pings. (24/05/08)

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,235 Times in 2,100 Posts

Re: Audio/Video Sender with Sky+ HD?

They will transmit the picture just fine, stereo sound too, but the image can be a little fuzzy at times.

The manual states that it is not compatible with the Sky infra red signal. Following on from a post elsewhere on the forum I have just tested mine and although a little spotty on reception, it does work.

A better answer might be to use a [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0009D5VX4/ref=asc_df_B0009D5VX46058295?smid=A2N9G9UY1E6KSU&t ag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22218&creativeASIN=B0009D 5VX4"]Magic-Eye[/ame] (or "[ame="http://direct.asda.com/Sky---155-TV-Link-remote-control/000513385,default,pd.html"]TV Link[/ame]"). You can pick one of these up for 10 and under.

The solution with the Magic-Eye does require a coax cable to run from the Sky+ HD STB to the TV upstairs.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      They will transmit the picture just fine, stereo sound too, but the image can be a little fuzzy at times.

The manual states that it is not compatible with the Sky infra red signal. Following on from a post elsewhere on the forum I have just tested mine and although a little spotty on reception, it does work.

A better answer might be to use a Magic-Eye (or "TV Link"). You can pick one of these up for 10 and under.

The solution with the Magic-Eye does require a coax cable to run from the Sky+ HD STB to the TV upstairs.
      Thanks for the quick reply.

So even though the output of the Sky+ HD box is set to HDMI, if I plug the AV sender in the scart, it will still output picture and sound?

I think the magic eye is out of the equation as I don't think I could run a coax cable through the house, and would have no clue where to begin. (Could I route it via the attic coax input? E.g. back through the coax port in the wall for the TV and up the attic and back into the bedroom output?)

I think I may have to splash on a 5.8GHz video sender to make sure there is less interference.

Thanks.

Ok pings. (24/05/08)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Ninja View Post
      So even though the output of the Sky+ HD box is set to HDMI, if I plug the AV sender in the scart, it will still output picture and sound?
      I bought the Nikkai one that you linked to last year. It connects via the Scart connector. I use the HDMI lead to connect to my TV and the Scart connects from my Sky+ HD STB via a DVD recorder, to a Scart splitter. One Scart lead then goes to my TV in the lounge and the 2nd Scart port is where the AV sender in plugged in.

The TV in my bedroom has the other end connected via the Scart input.

I think the magic eye is out of the equation as I don't think I could run a coax cable through the house, and would have no clue where to begin. (Could I route it via the attic coax input? E.g. back through the coax port in the wall for the TV and up the attic and back into the bedroom output?)
      Ideal setup:

TV Aerial --> Sky+ HD STB --> Sky UHF1 Out --> TV in lounge

...Sky UHF2 Out --> Coax to loft --> Coax to bedroom --> Magic-Eye --> TV in bedroom

This setup would allow Freeview to be received on each TV as well as Sky. How you achieve this would be difficult for me to describe as some walls can be solid, whilst others offer gaps to allow cables to easily pass through.

I think I may have to splash on a 5.8GHz video sender to make sure there is less interference.
      The 5GHz signal on my WiFi router is weaker than the 2.4GHz signal. This is to do with radio signals. If you are simply going through some floorboards, then the 5.8GHz sender will be fine.

Don't forget the 2nd Sky remote too! These can be found on-line for as little as 10.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I bought the Nikkai one that you linked to last year. It connects via the Scart connector. I use the HDMI lead to connect to my TV and the Scart connects from my Sky+ HD STB via a DVD recorder, to a Scart splitter. One Scart lead then goes to my TV in the lounge and the 2nd Scart port is where the AV sender in plugged in.

The TV in my bedroom has the other end connected via the Scart input.

Ideal setup:

TV Aerial --> Sky+ HD STB --> Sky UHF1 Out --> TV in lounge

...Sky UHF2 Out --> Coax to loft --> Coax to bedroom --> Magic-Eye --> TV in bedroom

This setup would allow Freeview to be received on each TV as well as Sky. How you achieve this would be difficult for me to describe as some walls can be solid, whilst others offer gaps to allow cables to easily pass through.

The 5GHz signal on my WiFi router is weaker than the 2.4GHz signal. This is to do with radio signals. If you are simply going through some floorboards, then the 5.8GHz sender will be fine.

Don't forget the 2nd Sky remote too! These can be found on-line for as little as 10.
      Wow, thanks for the detailed response. But I am still a bit confused as to why you have the SCART out from the Sky box to a DVD player first, and then the AV sender? Is this because you may wish to watch a DVD on the 2nd TV also?

So in other words, I can just connect the AV sender straight into the SCART out on the Sky box WITHOUT putting it through a DVD player?

Ok pings. (24/05/08)

Thanks

Wow, thanks for the detailed response. But I am still a bit confused as to why you have the SCART out from the Sky box to a DVD player first, and then the AV sender? Is this because you may wish to watch a DVD on the 2nd TV also?
      It is a DVD Recorder. Should I wish to record something in SD from the Sky STB, then I can do so. I can also play a DVD on it and watch it on either TV, or both if I am moving around.

So in other words, I can just connect the AV sender straight into the SCART out on the Sky box WITHOUT putting it through a DVD player?
      Sorry, of course plugging the sender directly into the back of the Sky STB will transmit the the Sky picture to the 2nd TV.

Which particular Sky+ HD STB do you have? Could you take a look at the back of the box to see which make and model it is please? I ask this as the AV sender has a lead with 3 Infra Red repeaters that you stick on the front of your equipment.

I have the Amstrad DRX890, and the IR receiver is about 2cm to the left of the circle on the front of the STB. The Samsung STB is the same. Yours may be different if you have a different model.

snadge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blaydon
      Broadband ISP: SKY Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

reviving an old post here scubbie

we want to do the same, use AV sender.. but can you get AV Sender that carries the IR remote signal too? you mention in your last post there something about "3 infra red repeaters" which you stick on front of STB... can you recommend any?

we have SKY+HD DRX890 wired to TV via HDMI
      upstairs we have a TV connected to freeview (built in) via UHF - she would like sky up there and we do have 3rd satellite feed going in there but she doesnt want a sky box (unsightly she says..lol) - this method would allow her to watch subscription channels, recordings and anytime+ upstairs in bed without any wires or unsightly STB's sitting on chest of drawers..

thanks
      - Hardware - Netgear DG834Nv1
      - Line Attenuation - 27.5db
      - Sync Rate - 17,600k
      - Noise Margin - 7db
      - Latency - 28ms

Thanks

This is what I have:

Mini 5.8GHz Video Sender : Wireless Video Senders : Maplin Electronics

Although I have a magic-eye, it isn't currently working first thing in the morning, so this is filling in for me.

Although the instructions state that it doesn't work with the Sky STBs digital Infra-red signal, it is working with DRX890. Stick one of the repeaters in the position as shown in the picture below:

Audio/Video Sender with Sky+ HD?-sky-hd-ir-sensor.jpg

The orange dot represents the approximate location of the IR sensor and the black patch is actually one of the repeaters.

Positioning the sender and the receiver is important as the signal between them is analogue. It will degrade through walls, etc. and the image can become fuzzy. If I wall between mine the signal drops temporarily.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Also, this chap was recently successful with an AEI digisender & DRX890 box...

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-h...uing-saga.html

Eventually.
      Last edited by gymno; 25-09-12 at 06:22 PM. Reason: added link

snadge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blaydon
      Broadband ISP: SKY Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

thanks guys - i will look into both, that 5.8Ghz one does it sit on the unit next to TV..? think she is trying to avoid something like that, something that plugs into scart at the back only (out of view), maybe stick/clip the IR receiver on the side of the TV

as for line of sight they will in direct line with only the floor between them...sky unit is at one end of room downstairs and TV upstairs is at other end of room upstairs (room is directly sky box) probably about 13ft between them and one floor, there is a KS bed too but there is about a 2ft gap between the wall and bed and the TV and SkyBox (av sender signal) can be alligned up in between those (if you know what I mean)
      - Hardware - Netgear DG834Nv1
      - Line Attenuation - 27.5db
      - Sync Rate - 17,600k
      - Noise Margin - 7db
      - Latency - 28ms

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast