Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Multiple Sky HD boxes with Magic Eye link to same TV - Remote Control setup

This is a discussion on Multiple Sky HD boxes with Magic Eye link to same TV - Remote Control setup within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi all. First post so please be gentle! Complicated one to explain. I have 2 hd boxes, one in lounge, ...

Rawdon51 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01484
      Broadband ISP: Swapping from Talk Talk as we speak
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: The Full Monty
      Thanks

Multiple Sky HD boxes with Magic Eye link to same TV - Remote Control setup

Hi all. First post so please be gentle! Complicated one to explain. I have 2 hd boxes, one in lounge, second in the "family room". Coax throughout the house back to a Philex distribution amp in the loft. Each bedroom tv is capable of receiving pictures from either hd box through RF2 link by either switching to analogue channel 6 or 7 respectively. Magic eye receiver on each bedroom tv, and each room has 2 sky remotes - one to control lounge hd box through magic eye, one to control family room box. One of the remotes was broken and I have bought a replacement. However it isn't working! I cannot for the life in me remember "programming" remotes in each room so that one controls the lounge hd box, one the family room box, but I suppose I must have done otherwise each RC would be controlling both boxes simultaneously wouldn't it?! Any thoughts on what I need to do please? Also would I be better getting a programmable RC to replace 2 * sky RCs in each room, and if so any idea of cheap but decent options? Thanks. Jon.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Multiple Sky HD boxes with Magic Eye link to same TV - Remote Control setup

Have you tried the remote directly controlling the HD boxes?

There must be a way to do it, as you have been, but I thought an HD remote would control any HD box and could not be configured to control one specific box. I will be interesting in seeing a 'real' solution to your problem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Hi Isitme. OK, here goes!

- The "bedroom" remotes (standard Sky remotes as far as I'm aware) control each box through the magic eyes (any of the magic eyes, any bedroom). We have a black "HD" remote and a slightly older grey "Sky+" remote in each room, the former controls the family room box, the latter the lounge box. Oh, and yes, both boxes ARE standard HD boxes. Originally one was HD and one was Sky+ but we swapped the Sky+ box out some time ago.

- The bedroom remotes DO NOT work directly in front of the boxes, i.e. take them down to the lounge & family room and they do not change channel, display guide etc.

- The "native" lounge & family room sky remotes DO NOT work through the magic eyes when they are taken up to the bedrooms

I established this setup with a friend who I'm out of contact with right now, and it's possible (probable) he did something "clever" when I wasn't looking.....can't find any "programming sky remotes" info other than TV codes anywhere though....

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

It is a bit complicated isn't it. Maybe one of the TV gurus like Ken will pick your thread up and make a contribution, I am afraid I am lost..

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Woodster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01442
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

I think you need to set the RCUs up to work an HD box. Press Yellow and select together for 2 secs, then press 1 for a HD box, 2 for a sky+ box or 3 for a standard box (I think, it may be a different order), then select again.
      Another thought, you may have an SPC or an SPC4 in your setup, in which case you will need to assign each remote to a port on the SPC4. Since you only have 2 boxes, it would be Blue and Select together, then press 0 for port 1 and then select, then Blue and Select again followed by 1 for port 2 and then select again.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Woodster For This Useful Post:

Rawdon51 (31-12-11)

Thanks

Woodster - after reading your response and in the first place thinking "....you have GOT to be joking!...." (...I've been in IT for 20 years and didn't understand a lot of what you were saying) I opened up the loft an indeed there sat an SPC4f by Global Invacom. Don't remember buying it, installing it or even seeing it there before, but there you go!! So I think you've put me on the right track with that so many thanks and I'll let you know how I go on.

Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),