Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

help with sky hd

This is a discussion on help with sky hd within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; hello, gd afternoon. i have standard sky box and thinking about getting a sky HD plus box. I know i ...

ten
      ten is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

help with sky hd

hello, gd afternoon.

i have standard sky box and thinking about getting a sky HD plus box. I know i have a single feed at the mo and not all features will work.

Are second hand/ refurbished sky plus hd boxes any good. My mate getting rid of his as he has cancelled sky and gone brought humax free sat box.

i can get a amstrad drx890 and i think there current models at mo. what u guys think?. are they poor? prone to faults?

thanks.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,233 Times in 2,099 Posts

Re: help with sky hd

I would suggest that you check your account on the Sky website to see what upgrade options are available to you. Sky will likely offer you a cheap upgrade path, with the installation cost.

The installation cost will probably include a replacement LNB and a twin coax cable to the dish.

Of course you are welcome to leave or change the LNB, but twin coax suitable for a satellite can be quite expensive to purchase.

With the new STB you would have a 12 month warranty too.

As for them failing, the latest model does appear to be reasonably stable. I am not privy to Sky's internal statistics, so I can't say what the actual failure rates are.

There is a known issue with the HDMI port if you are in the habit of unplugging & plugging in the HDMI cable. The solder joints can break. Otherwise fans can fail, the hard drive fail (as with any PVR system), the PSU can fail (rarer than the Thomson though) and Sky keeps messing with the firmware to 'fix things'.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.