Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Box Fluctuating Signal Quality

This is a discussion on Sky Box Fluctuating Signal Quality within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Firstly, apologies for asking a question on my first post, it always seems a bit bad form I'm hoping someone ...

ChrisCC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky Box Fluctuating Signal Quality

Firstly, apologies for asking a question on my first post, it always seems a bit bad form

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction here, as I'm at a complete loss as to what is going on.

I've had a normal SKY box for the past few years and recently added a multiroom SKY+ box. When the engineer arrived he changed the single LNB for a quad one and everything was fine. Both the normal SKY and the SKY+ box worked.

However in the past few days I've had a repeat problem with the normal SKY box. It's the dreaded "no satellite signal". I've checked the end of the cable and made sure everything is screwed in tight. I also removed the extension cable, turned off anything near it etc.

The problem is that I get the signal for a while then it drops out again. I've been watching the signal test page and this is what happens.

The Signal Strength is sitting at 75%, I've got a lock, network ID and transport stream. The Signal Quality goes to 80%, then 0% and sort of toggles back and forward. I'll occasionally get no signal strength for a while and then it will come back. As an example it has just lost the signal (dropped out of showing the current channel) and then came back again. Now it sitting with Signal Strength of 0, Signal Qualtiy of 0 and no lock

The only other strange thing was a while ago the box was turning itself off overnight and then it stopped doing that. (I had power save turned off). In the past couple of days I found the box turned off in the morning, but that only happened once.

It's been fine since I had the new LNB installed in that I've had no problem watching TV. It did drop out once a short while ago but rectified itself in a couple of days.

The SKY+ box has been absolutely no problem, it's just this box. It's as if my old SKY box, just doesn't get on with the new LNB occasionally, but I just cannot work out why.

It's a Thomson 122_051 box, that I got from Sky 5 years ago . (OS Version 1.2S4FM, EPG 3.8.8)

So any suggestions etc. I don't have the ability to get to the dish itself without calling an engineer out, so I'm trying for as much self-diagnosis as possible.

Thanks

Chris
      Last edited by ChrisCC; 03-12-11 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Detail update

2. Advertisement
      Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

Re: Sky Box Fluctuating Signal Quality

If it's an old Thomson, it'll probably be the usual capacitor problem with these boxes. Use the Search function above for more on 'Thomson PSU'.

To confirm if you have the capacitor problem, swap boxes, and try the Thomson on the other setup. Switch off the box at the mains first, then disconnect the Dish Input cable. After re-connecting in the other room, power on again at the mains, wait 4 minutes, then press Sky on the remote to view.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kenedin For This Useful Post:

ChrisCC (04-12-11)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks Kenedin,

I'll certainly give that a try. I hadn't realised that the PSU applied to the non-HD box but then if they were made at the same time, they could well have the same PSU.

Exchange:
      Thanks

It sort of repaired itself for about 15 minutes this morning, but then cut out again, so I've swapped the boxes round and it's not completely clear if it's good or bad.

I'll do a brief description of my findings,

Initial setup
      Sky box (problem one) is upstairs
      Sky+ box is downstairs

The problem box upstairs had 0% signal quality and fluctuating up to 80%. It's signal strength was about 75% and sometimes 0%
      The SKY+ box downstairs has fairly consistent 75% signal strength and 80% signal quality with no reported loss of signal that I know of.

First test setup
      Sky box (problem one) is downstairs
      Sky+ box is upstairs

The problem box I tried downstairs on the SKY+ feed. It has a stable signal strength of about 70% and 0% signal quality. The quality just stayed at 0% and didn't change.
      The Sky+ box I tried upstairs and I get high signal strength (80%) and signal quality (90%) with no fluctuations.
      However I did see a very brief (1sec) dropout on the Sky+ a couple of times.

Second test setup
      Sky+ box is upstairs
      Sky box disconnected

I'm going to leave this running to see if I get any of the 1sec "no signal" messages. On the offchance that the Sky box is causing problem when it's plugged in.

So I'm still not completely clear where the problem lies. It's suggesting the Sky Thomson box but .....
      Last edited by ChrisCC; 04-12-11 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Clearer rewrite

Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

The old Thomson's had it.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

MartinP is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Slingbox
      Thanks