Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Intermittent Sound/Picture breakup on Sky Digital box

This is a discussion on Intermittent Sound/Picture breakup on Sky Digital box within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I have done a quick search but I cannot find this problem in any other threads. Our Sky Digital system ...

eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Intermittent Sound/Picture breakup on Sky Digital box

I have done a quick search but I cannot find this problem in any other threads.

Our Sky Digital system has been fault free for 11 years. Other than replacing the original Grundig box for a faster Pace one it has required no attention at all.

Last weekend, during the Indian Grand Prix, there were numerous breaks in sound lasting less than a second, sometimes with picture breakup and sometimes accompanied by the sort of "popping/squeaking" sound that you hear on cheapie Freeview TV's when the signal is not too good. The weather was fine and we have never experienced this problem before.

It continued into the evening and the following morning so I phoned Sky. The agent was helpful and polite but was obviously reading from a script and went through various setup options, the only change being to switch the video output from PAL to RGB. It was left that I should telephone again if the problem continued after the next 6 or 7 hours.

It is still happening occasionally, mainly on BBC1, but not often enough for me to be able to demonstrate the fault to an engineer.

Can anyone help me with where the (very intermittent) problem may lie - and how to explain it to Sky so I can get it fixed? I have done the box power down for 3 minutes and checked that all the SCART and cable connections are secure, all to no avail.

Any help appreciated, Thanks, Ian

2. Advertisement
      dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Intermittent Sound/Picture breakup on Sky Digital box

With a system over a decade old it could be almost anything. It could be the Sky box or the leads connecting the box to the dish. It could be the dish alignment or a failing LNB. It could even be your TV. If I was attempting to problem solve this system I start off by remaking all the connections on the lead between the box and the LNB. Depending upon where your dish is fixed it may be possible to test these easily. I'd also check the dish position by firmly pressing on the LNB iup/down and left/right to see if this slight movement of the settings caused the problem to appear. I'd try swapping the box with a friends and try your box on their system to see if the box is faulty. In the end I'd suggest you start again from the beginning and have a new system installed! Everything wears out eventually.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dms05 For This Useful Post:

eyemdee (02-11-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dms05 View Post
      With a system over a decade old it could be almost anything. It could be the Sky box or the leads connecting the box to the dish. It could be the dish alignment or a failing LNB. It could even be your TV. If I was attempting to problem solve this system I start off by remaking all the connections on the lead between the box and the LNB. Depending upon where your dish is fixed it may be possible to test these easily. I'd also check the dish position by firmly pressing on the LNB iup/down and left/right to see if this slight movement of the settings caused the problem to appear. I'd try swapping the box with a friends and try your box on their system to see if the box is faulty. In the end I'd suggest you start again from the beginning and have a new system installed! Everything wears out eventually.
      Many thanks for that. I have ruled out the TV as it is not that old and SCART connected Freeview boxes and Panasonic DVD recorder both display and sound fine.

Like you I am thinking that either the 11 year old LNB or newer Pace box are faulty, but as most of my friends have moved to Virgin Media it will not be easy to test by swapping bits over. Also, at 62, I am not inclined to start climbing ladders when I am paying Sky nearly 1,000 per year for their service.

I agree it would be nice to "start again from the beginning" but the only way I can see of doing that is to ditch Sky and go back to Virgin Media for TV, phone and Broadband. This does have advantages in that equipment replacement is included in their service charge and I could get a Tivo box and 50Mb broadband.

At present I don't even have Sky+ and they don't appear to be bothered at all. I am already cabled for Virgin and they have been trying very hard to get me back since I switched my broadband and phone to Sky a few years ago.

Proppinupthebar is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Locks Heath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: 2*Sky+, Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Have you tried threatening to cancel? If you have been a customer for so long they may be willing to sweeten the deal and replace the dish and box. If you are willing to swop to Virgin then you have nothing to lose with threatening to leave.
      There is no p in Thomson.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,233 Times in 2,099 Posts

You could contact Sky and let them know the issues that you have. Their standard call out fee is 65 and that normally covers a new LNB or a service replacement STB.

There was a series of reports on this forum that they have plenty of Sky+ STBs, but should they have run out, you'd be supplied a Sky+ HD STB (without the HD subscription).

My only concern would be that because you purchased your current STB from somewhere else, they might charge to replace it. If this should be the case, please ensure that you get a Sky+ HD STB as this would provide you with more options for the furture.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      You could contact Sky and let them know the issues that you have. Their standard call out fee is 65 and that normally covers a new LNB or a service replacement STB.
      My concern is that the fault would fail to show when the engineer arrived and get charged for a "no fault found" visit! It has been near perfect tonight whereas for the last couple of evenings it has been at times unwatchable. I am inclined to see what sort of deal they will do to upgrade to Sky+ and then consider the pros and cons of changing provider.

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

Thanks

If you were to record when it is playing up, does the fault stay in the recording at the same points?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      If you were to record when it is playing up, does the fault stay in the recording at the same points?
      That's a very good question - I haven't tried that. I can only record on to an external Panasonic DVD recorder as we don't have Sky Plus but I'll give it a go later and report back.

Thanks

I must have misread something, I thought that you had Sky+.

It is unlikely that the Sky engineer would replace your current STB with a Sky+ or Sky+ HD STB.

Since you have the white Sky STB, I would definitely suggest that this is a good opportunity to consider looking at your 'My Sky' page on the Sky website.

Take a look at your account and the potential upgrade path that you have.

Since Sky+ & Sky+ HD requires 2 coax and your LNB is quite old, the Sky engineer would replace the LNB, fit a new twin coax cable and provide you with a new STB which you could then record on.

As for subscription charges, there tends to be two choices. With or without HD. If you go without the HD pack, then the STB will normally be a little extra. The Sky+ recording features are free.

Proppinupthebar is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Locks Heath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: 2*Sky+, Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eyemdee View Post
      That's a very good question - I haven't tried that. I can only record on to an external Panasonic DVD recorder as we don't have Sky Plus but I'll give it a go later and report back.
      I think Scubbie thought you had a PVR box. The pvr box records the mpeg stream so if playback shows the issue in the same place then its very likely a stream (feed) issue, i.e likely an LNB issue in your case. Your external recorder will only show the box had an issue but not if the issue was in the feed or in the box.

EDIT : Beaten to it, must try harder!
      Last edited by Proppinupthebar; 02-11-11 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Beaten to it by a girl :)
      There is no p in Thomson.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast