Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Intermittent Sound/Picture breakup on Sky Digital box

This is a discussion on Intermittent Sound/Picture breakup on Sky Digital box within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Originally Posted by Scubbie I must have misread something, I thought that you had Sky+. It is unlikely that the ...

eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Intermittent Sound/Picture breakup on Sky Digital box

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I must have misread something, I thought that you had Sky+.

It is unlikely that the Sky engineer would replace your current STB with a Sky+ or Sky+ HD STB.

Since you have the white Sky STB, I would definitely suggest that this is a good opportunity to consider looking at your 'My Sky' page on the Sky website.

Take a look at your account and the potential upgrade path that you have.

Since Sky+ & Sky+ HD requires 2 coax and your LNB is quite old, the Sky engineer would replace the LNB, fit a new twin coax cable and provide you with a new STB which you could then record on.

As for subscription charges, there tends to be two choices. With or without HD. If you go without the HD pack, then the STB will normally be a little extra. The Sky+ recording features are free.
      Yes, thanks I have done that and also spoken to Sky again tonight. The best they can do is provide a Sky+HD box for 49 with a 60 installation charge.

This goes against the grain with me when they offer new subscribers a Sky+ box FREE with just a 30 setup charge. I have been a Sky digital subscriber for over 11 years, and had the top Sky analogue package for several years before that.

They value a "new subscriber" higher than me yet that new subscriber may well cancel after 12 months and sell his SKY+ box on eBay!

A friend and neighbour recently asked Virgin Media what it would cost to upgrade his TWO Virgin boxes to Tivo boxes. The answer - 49 one off cost to install them and a 50p per month increase in his subscription. Included in that was an increase in broadband speed from 30 to 50Mbps with the new cable modem included. Now that is what I call rewarding loyalty!!
      Last edited by eyemdee; 02-11-11 at 10:32 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,233 Times in 2,099 Posts

I understand what you are saying about Sky. When the first Sky+ HD STB was launched, existing customers had to find a lot more money.

As for the cost of the STB now, it is annoying, but at least it isn't too much. I would hope that you will like the result though.

Sometimes Sky does offer free installation to new customers, but more often 60 is a fee that I've seen mentioned on here previously and is the same for new customers.

As for the TiVo, there isn't a great deal between the Sky+ HD STB and Virgin's TiVo. Sure each has benefits, but they also both have drawbacks.

I am hoping that Sky will sort out the different players (i.e. BBC, ITV, 4oD & Demand 5) so that there would be more content available.

You already have Sky BB Unlimited, so you may wish to start making plans as to how to connect an Ethernet lead to the new Sky+ HD STB. This will enable you to take advantage of the Anytime+ content.

Also, since you already subscribe to all the channels, you may want to consider taking advantage of the Sky 3D channel if you have a 3D TV, something else Virgin doesn't have .

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Thanks

Sometimes Sky does offer free installation to new customers, but more often 60 is a fee that I've seen mentioned on here previously and is the same for new customers.
      Free Sky+ box and 30 setup is the current deal for new customers: Sky website

Virgin are doing the Tivo box for 49 with free installation and their broadband here is now up to 50Mbps. Their monthly subscription is slightly higher but hardware replacement is included, as is ESPN, and HD is standard. The ethernet cabling is no problem for either box as our router and TV are in the same room.

I am going to try and see the Tivo box tomorrow so I can decide which way to go.

Thanks again everyone for your help.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eyemdee View Post
      Free Sky+ box and 30 setup is the current deal for new customers: Sky website
      Now I am really annoyed. Not only will they supply a Sky+ box FREE to new subscribers and setup for 30, they are now adding 100 Marks & Spencer vouchers.

So in order for me to fix my faulty system they want to take 49 + 60 installation off me as a loyal subscriber and use it to buy incentives for new customers.

I don't think so.

Thanks

Of course you could cancel everything (remember that the monthly subs were frozen in September!).

If your partner then joined Sky then she would be considered a new subscriber and get all the deals.

Thanks

Of course you could cancel everything (remember that the monthly subs were frozen in September!).

If your partner then joined Sky then she would be considered a new subscriber and get all the deals.
      Thanks for that very helpful suggestion. We have a magazine subscription which alternates between us each year as the new customer deal is always better then the repeat subscription and we time it so we don't miss an issue.

I always believed that Sky treated the "household" as the customer rather than the individual. I would only be prepared to go down this route if I were to be guaranteed uninterrupted service and from some of the customer service reports I have seen, I doubt that would happen!

Why can't they do the sensible thing and upgrade my box for free with the 30 "new customer" setup deal as long as I sign up for a further 12 months? I would settle for that and they would keep a customer that they will otherwise lose very shortly as we got the "No signal" screen for a few seconds earlier today.

Thanks

Just out of interest I tried to go through the new customer order process in my wife's name but it fell over when I entered our telephone number. This was recognised to be a Sky number and the request to log in with existing customer details followed. The T & C's do refer to one free box per "household".

I suspect that I would have to cancel completely then wait for the Sky tag to be removed from the line before reordering as a new customer and waiting again for the broadband to be set up. Not feasible really.

Thanks

Phooey! Worth a try though.

Thanks

The intermittent fault which we had last weekend seems to have cleared as quickly as it appeared. Last night I noticed a very fine spider's web woven between the dish arm and a security light below. As I can almost reach the dish from an upstairs window, a quick brush with a long handled duster cleared it away, since when we haven't seen a single interruption to either sound or vision.

Is it possible that a spider could interfere with the Sky TV signal?

Thanks

It is more likely that in clearing the cobwebs & spider that you have moved the arm.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast