Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Engineer didn't connect box to phone line

This is a discussion on Engineer didn't connect box to phone line within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi, I had Sky installed a few weeks ago and have realised the engineer did not connect my box to ...

Griffin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Engineer didn't connect box to phone line

Hi,

I had Sky installed a few weeks ago and have realised the engineer did not connect my box to a phone line. I'm guessing this is because there is no phone line in the room I have my box and he didn't fancy doing the work! The master phone socket is in the room upstairs.
      I don't have a problem with connecting the Sky box to the phone line and in fact would rather it was so I can utilise PPV and Anytime+
      Ideally I would like a phone socket in the room I have my TV/box so I can plug my wireless broadband into it and in turn plug my router into the Sky Box.
      I think I have a couple of options;
      1) Call Sky, state the installation was not done properly and ask for an engineer to come back
      2) Buy a wireless phone jack and use that to connect
      3) Leave as is

Option 1 is favourite but only if the Sky engineer can install the line using cabling externally. I don't want wires running along skirting. So, my question is, do the engineers do this and is it classed as a standard installation?
      I guess they would need to take the cabling from going into the house upstairs and run it externally downstairs - this would follow the path of the Sky dish cabling already on the outside of the house.
      Option 2 is possibly easier but I'm not sure whether my wireless broadband would work using this wireless phone jack.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Engineer didn't connect box to phone line

in fact would rather it was so I can utilise PPV and Anytime+
      Anytime+ does not use the phone line, it connects by ethernet or wireless to your Sky router. You can order PPV items by phone but this costs extra, 1 I think. I would suggest you purchase a phone extension and just plug it in when you want to order something. If you only have one box, that is all it is required for.

I would not think running a telephone extension cable outside would be classed as standard. It would require external grade phone cable, which I doubt if the installers carry. They would be more likely to run the cable around the skirting to the nearest phone point.

Wireless phone senders work with the power circuit, so unless you are using a Homeplug network, they are unlikely to interfere with your broadband. The are not really 'wireless' so will not interfere with your wireless broadband either. The are expensive and unless you are going to use PPV on a very regular basis, hardly worth the expense.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Your line provider is responsible for the telephone line from the exchange to your Test Socket. After this point, you are free to connect any extensions yourself or pay a contractor to do the work for you.

If you are looking to install any extensions, I would most certainly recommend that you fit a filtered faceplate. This would mean that your router will be located in your room upstairs and you will need to sort something else out in order to get the broadband connected to your Sky+ HD STB downstairs. I'll mention some suggestions on that score in a moment.

The Sky+ HD STB has two connections that you can consider whether to connect to:

1. modem port - direct to the telephone line - allows for the STB to dial home & confirm where it is, updates your Sky Box Office to be automated & allows the STB to do the Interactive tasks (i.e. check your account)
      2. LAN Port - connects to the Sky Router (ideally the Green port on the router) so that you can download content from Anytime+ and perhaps more in the future

With regards to the telephone line, you are free to wire up a fixed extension or you can get a DECT sender to connect the Sky STB wirelessly to the telephone line. Maplin sell one such unit, but it is also available elsewhere for a few pounds less:

DECT Wireless Phone Line Extender Free Delivery : Extension Cables Kits : Maplin

With regards to the LAN port, there are a host of solutions available here. Sky sells a product for around 60 to allow you to connect it wirelessly, but there are many other options which may be of interest to you.

With the introduction of more devices that you may wish to connect to a LAN so that they can gain access to the Internet, you may wish to have something that provides other LAN ports or a wired connection. Examples are numerous, but include TVs, NAS drives, Media computers, Xboxs & PS3s.

Recently I put together a document that describes some of the more popular methods. You may wish to read it through to give you some understanding of what is available and can be accomplished:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...e-network.html

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for both of your responses.

I will go for the wireless phone extender and plug the STB into that to solve that issue.
      I have a specific question on the connection between the router and the STB using a phone extender. Apologies if you have answered this but wasn't obvious to me!
      If I plug a slave phone extender behind the TV can I plug my router into that and then plug the router into the STB? That would allow me to use the router as normal and get the Anytime+ content from the STB. My concern here is will the phone extender recognise the router as ADSL or will it think it's a normal phone line?
      If that won't work then I will go for the 60 Sky wireless product or something similar.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Your telephone support two signals. The first is for speech or 56K Modem (i.e. Fax machine or PC Dial-up modem).

The second signal is for ADSL (Broadband). This is a much higher pitched noise and is separated by the microfilters or filtered faceplates. It is not possible to transmit this 2nd signal on the DECT sender.

The DECT sender is specifically for either a 2nd telephone or computer 56K modem (i.e. what is in the Sky STBs) and cannot be used for the ADSL signal.

In order to get a connection to the Internet to your STB, you need to read through the document I linked to in the last post.

A couple of ideas that come to mind from the document are HomePlugs or a long Ethernet cable behind the wall.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thank you, looks like Homeplugs are the way forward.