Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Downgrade / HD Pack / Price Freeze

This is a discussion on Downgrade / HD Pack / Price Freeze within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; We've been getting a 50% discount on our total package for 12 months following a complete screw up when we ...

ansvls98 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Haydon Wick
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Downgrade / HD Pack / Price Freeze

We've been getting a 50% discount on our total package for 12 months following a complete screw up when we transfered our broadband to Sky and it all went pear shaped and we had to have a new phone number etc etc. To maximise the benefit of this we were given the opportunity to upgrade our package before the discount was applied.

So our current package is the Entertainment Pack (i.e. all 6 channel packs) plus the HD Pack and we have a single Sky+HD Box. We're not big movie or sport fans so no premium channels.

The 50% discount has expired now and we seem to be paying 24.50 for the Ent. Pack, 10.25 for the HD Pack and 10 Sky+ Subscription. We queried the Sky+ subscription fee on our last bill and were told that it was a mistake (should be free) and would be rectified. However, having just looked back at recent bills it seems like they've been charging this for some time (for ever?) so we need to get back on the case with this.

Should there be a fee for Sky+? Could it be because our package shows that we have a Sky+HD box and a Sky+ box? We haven't used the Sky+ box since we upgraded to HD but I think we still have it somewhere.

Anyway, we mainly only watch BBC, ITV, C4, C5, Home, Good Food, Disney XD, Disney Jr and the associated +1 channels where available. We usually watch the HD variants of these where available.

I can't help feeling we're not really making the most of what we pay so time to think about downgrading. So questions:

If we cancel HD Pack do we get to keep HD box and what channels will we still be able to watch in HD?

If we cancel HD Pack now what effect will it have on the price freeze situation that comes into effect on 1/9/11? Have we missed the boat? Are we better off staying put for 12 months through price freeze period?

Looking at the new (post 1/9/11) channel packs it looks like we'll have to go with Ent+ to keep the kids channels. Is there no alternative to this?

Any thoughts / advice would be gratefully received.

ANS

2. Advertisement
      Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Downgrade / HD Pack / Price Freeze

Quote Originally Posted by ansvls98 View Post
      If we cancel HD Pack do we get to keep HD box and what channels will we still be able to watch in HD?
      If you cancel the HD sub you will get to watch BBCHD, ITV1 HD, CH4HD and CH5HD, there might be a couple more but they are the main ones.

If we cancel HD Pack now what effect will it have on the price freeze situation that comes into effect on 1/9/11? Have we missed the boat? Are we better off staying put for 12 months through price freeze period?
      You have to give Sky 31 days notice if you are cancelling something so this might impact on the price freeze but I don't really know for sure about this.

Looking at the new (post 1/9/11) channel packs it looks like we'll have to go with Ent+ to keep the kids channels. Is there no alternative to this?
      As you have all six mixes you will keep them and you will then officially be on the Entertainment+ mix.

There is no charge for Sky+, are you sure Sky don't think you have a multiroom sub and that they think you are using both boxes but that is what it seems like to me if both your HD box and the + one are showing on your account.

mcphailan. is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: South Harrow
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I downgraded HD pack and get the channels Alan mentions, which I guess is 80% of our viewing, so I empathize with your choice of what represents value for money, i.e. don't feel that I've lost much. I only worried about losing ITV2 and ITV3 HD but the films they show on there are mostly ones they have down the rounds on TV for yonks, i.e. I watch them less frequently than I thought.

PS I also get some HD "showcase" shows on Anytime+ which bizarrely I can view !

And of course Sky Box Office HD is still available Paying 4 for a HD 6 month-old film in HD is so much better than 20 for us both to go to the cinema and listen to popcorn munchers....Inbetweeners Movie in Feb/March methinks

Alternative - can you buy Hanna Montanna DVDs now and then? (sorry I forgot Disney only releases DVDs every 50 years...)

PS - I Notice the new series of Casualty is not in HD - has that always been the case?

ansvls98 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Haydon Wick
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Thanks for the views guys.

The deed is done.

Sky admitted that that 10 a month we'd been paying for months for Sky+ was a mistake caused by the fact that they sent a new viewing card with our HD box when we upgraded and the existing card didn't get cancelled. --> 130 credited to our account.

HD Pack cancelled. They tried to get us to keep it by offering it for half price for three months but this didn't really change the logic for me - it would still be 5.13/month that I can better spend on something else.

Hannah Montana or Casualty not really our thing!! Kids mainly interested in Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Handy Manny and Phineas & Ferb.

ANS