Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

HDMI split for bedroom magic eye system!

This is a discussion on HDMI split for bedroom magic eye system! within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi all I have a Amstrad Sky+ HD box & have been using it with a magic eye system in ...

aerostorm is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Forest Hill
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

HDMI split for bedroom magic eye system!

Hi all

I have a Amstrad Sky+ HD box & have been using it with a magic eye system in the bedroom. The TV I had in the bedroom had no freeview built in so I used a Freeview box on the scart input of the TV & watched Sky as usual on the RF input of the bedroom TV. Easy!!

I've now bought a new TV for the bedroom which has Freeview built in. So, I can only use the single RF input on the telly for both the magic eye connection from the Sky box AND the TVs internal freeview signal! If the kids are watching Sky in the living room, I can't access the freeview channels in the bedroom because I guess the Sky box doesn't output an aerial signal while showing SKY signals on the living room TV! Hope that makes sense!

My theory then is to run an HDMI signal from my Sky box to the bedroom. BUT I would need to split it as my living room TV uses the HDMI output from the Sky box presently! Is it possible to split the HDMI signal successfully so I can extend it to the bedroom? Does it work with a simple splitter (that are available on Ebay for about a fiver!) or would I need an HDMI splitter with an amplifier of sorts built in?

Any experience in this are would be really appreciated!
      Thanks, Daniel

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,233 Times in 2,099 Posts

Re: HDMI split for bedroom magic eye system!

Quote Originally Posted by aerostorm View Post
      ...If the kids are watching Sky in the living room, I can't access the freeview channels in the bedroom because I guess the Sky box doesn't output an aerial signal while showing SKY signals on the living room TV! Hope that makes sense!
      You should be able to view the Freeview channels on your TV at all times. If the signal from the STB is interfering with the Freeview channels, then you may wish to change the broadcast channel on the Sky+ HD STB. I found that I had to change mine as it was interfering with one of the multiplexers.

Quote Originally Posted by aerostorm View Post
      My theory then is to run an HDMI signal from my Sky box to the bedroom. BUT I would need to split it as my living room TV uses the HDMI output from the Sky box presently! Is it possible to split the HDMI signal successfully so I can extend it to the bedroom? Does it work with a simple splitter (that are available on Ebay for about a fiver!) or would I need an HDMI splitter with an amplifier of sorts built in?

Any experience in this are would be really appreciated!
      Thanks, Daniel
      It may be possible to run a 20m HDMI lead from the Sky STB to your bedroom. I would initially run a simple test as the Sky+ HD STB uses HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection). The test would involve obtaining a suitable splitter and a couple of additional HDMI leads that you may already have.

Connect both TVs and switch them both on and see if it works.

An alternative option would be to subscribe to Sky Multi-room.

The new SkyHD STB doesn't offer the recording features, but it does offer HD. From September Sky are only going to charge 1 HD subscription per account. At present you would need to pay for the HD subscription on both STBs.

For a little extra one off payment, you could always have a Sky+ HD STB in the bedroom instead.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Thanks

Hi Scubbie, I really appreciate your help!

I totally get the point about the broadcast channel on the STB. Any idea how I adjust that?

Also, the HDMI splitter sounds cool to me but any ideas about which sort of box I need for that? I looked on Ebay & theres quite a few! Not sure about quality etc!

Thanks again!

Daniel

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

You need something like this - 1x2 HDMI Splitter Don't waste your money on Y splitters, they are probably not compliant with HDCP.

I am not sure about your Freeview, do you have a separate aerial for this or are you running through the Sky STB?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Hi IsItme, yep that was the sort of ting I was thinkiing about!

Er Freeview thing? I only have one aerial socket on my new telly so I can only plug in the magic eye lead! So yes, I'm taking my feed from the Sky STB!

Thanks again!

D

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

What aerial did you use for the Freeveiw box? Can you plug that into the TV when you get an HDMI connection?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Yeah, that will be the plan! But in an ideal solution I'd much prefer to get the aerial 'signal' from the magic eye lead coming from the Sky STB! Hmm .. !

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,233 Times in 2,099 Posts

With regards to your TV aerial, in order to correctly receive Freeview on the bedroom TV, you need to adopt the follow setup:

Main TV Aerial --> Sky+ HD STB UHF Input

Sky+ HD STB UHF Out 1 --> Living room TV

Sky+ HD STB UHF Out 2 --> Wall socket, leading to Bedroom TV --> Magic Eye --> Bedroom TV

Ensure that the bedroom TV has been tuned in for Freeview. Some remotes require you to select 'DTV' If you select channel 007, you should see BBC3.

The Sky+ HD STB broadcasts on the analogue channels. It is necessary to switch between them.

To change the channel that the Sky+ HD STB broadcasts on, press the following on your remote control:

<Services> <Right> <Down> 0 1 <Select> 4 <Down>

This should select the 'RF Outlets' menu. Change the RF channel to one that is clear of your local transmitters channels (both analogue & digital) by at least 5 channels.

If you don't know the local channels used by both the Analogue & Digital channels (assuming that you still have both ) then take a look at the links below:

For the channels used by your local transmitter:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/recep..._guide_3_0.pdf

What you should be getting, and which multiplexers they are on (to help identify any problems):

BBC - Help receiving TV and radio - Digital terrestrial TV UK multiplexes before switchover

or if you only have DTV:

BBC - Help receiving TV and radio - Digital terrestrial TV UK multiplexes after switchover

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Thanks

Scubbie, you've just totally sorted out my problem! A slight adjust on the Sky STB output channel has sorted the problem! Thank you so much for your help & patience! Really appreciate it!

Thanks
      Daniel