Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Freesat from Sky & Subscription Sky+

This is a discussion on Freesat from Sky & Subscription Sky+ within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I do not seem to be able to find an answer to this question anywhere. I have an old Sky+ ...

Sambyte is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SMBT
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Freesat from Sky & Subscription Sky+

I do not seem to be able to find an answer to this question anywhere.

I have an old Sky+ box kicking around and was wondering if I can use a freesat from sky card and still have Sky+ features.

I already am a Sky+HD subscriber and essentially want to avoid extending my contract to 12 months for multiroom as I just wouldn't use it. I do not see both televisions being watched at the same time as me and my other half tend to watch the same thing.

Freeview reception here is poor and it would be nice to have the Sky+ features with the freesat.

Thanks in advance

2. Advertisement
      dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Freesat from Sky & Subscription Sky+

You will loose the Sky+ features of record/replay. Although these are 'free' you need to have an active subscription on the card used in the specific box. However the new Sky Go player allows you to watch on two independent alternative devices and it may be possible for you to see all you channels via a laptop and maybe feed a TV from this source (others will know if this is possible).

mcphailan. is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: South Harrow
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

10.25 a month payable to Sky if you want to keep the SKY+ recording features. Clever s*ds innit?

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,233 Times in 2,099 Posts

As has been mentioned, to be able to record on a Sky+ or Sky+ HD STB you need a current Sky subscription or you can pay around 10 a month just to enable the recording facility.

You will not be able to watch any encrypted channels or their recorded content though.

The alternative option is to purchase a Freesat+ STB. This would simply just replace the Sky STB and allow you to record the channels without any issues.

The Humax Foxsat is a very nice looking STB. It includes the ability to view BBC iPlayer content, for example.

Welcome to HUMAX [Global Website]

There is also some software available to allow you to view the content over you LAN.

So if you are looking to cancel your Sky subscription, it may well be worth investing in a full Freesat+ STB.

Edit: There are other Humax Foxsat STB available:

http://www.humaxdigital.com/global/p...uct_stb_uk.asp

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

bryan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leith
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Technicolor TG582n Fibre Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD DRX890W
      Thanks

My suggestion would be to consider using a Freeview STB (assuming you have a suitable aerial) with recording facility. While you don't get so many channels that you can record with Freeview the vast majority of Sky channels repeat programmes so many times that it isn't necessary to record them and therefore with one Freeview box and one Sky+ box you should be able to record the vast majority of what you want to record.

I use Digiguide which allows you to set up reminders and favourites and search the whole database to find repeats/programmes you want to watch etc.

Thanks

Very nice suggestion Bryan, but what if you should go on holiday for 2 weeks?

If you have been following a particular series, then it is nice to watch it without missing any episodes.

If the series is on the SyFy channel, for example, then you might have to wait a few months before it is repeated. You may well be out or doing something else when it is repeated.

bryan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leith
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Technicolor TG582n Fibre Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD DRX890W
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Very nice suggestion Bryan, but what if you should go on holiday for 2 weeks?

If you have been following a particular series, then it is nice to watch it without missing any episodes.

If the series is on the SyFy channel, for example, then you might have to wait a few months before it is repeated. You may well be out or doing something else when it is repeated.
      Scubbie I'm not suggesting not using one Sky+ STB but I don't think most/many people need to use two Sky+ STBs or have multiroom, I use a combination of Freeview and Sky but find that most of what I need to record is not on Sky. This won't suit everyone but I think it best not to get too fixated on Sky TV.

I discovered how badly made my Sky+ STB was when moving house and the centre pin of the RF2 outlet pulled out when I disconnected the cable, there wasn't a trace of solder on the pin and Sky refused to repair what I considered was poor manufacture (the box was out of warranty). I resolved at that time not to rely on Sky anymore than was absolutely essential

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bryan View Post
      I discovered how badly made my Sky+ STB was when moving house and the centre pin of the RF2 outlet pulled out when I disconnected the cable, there wasn't a trace of solder on the pin and Sky refused to repair what I considered was poor manufacture (the box was out of warranty).
      Since they have prevented anyone else from making a STB that is able to receive their services, I guess that there is no competition to improve the quality.

...and before anyone jumps on top of me for making the above comment, years back there was a lot more choice of STBs being made available to receive Sky.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Yes as soon as Sky caught up with their backlog of HD boxes they kicked the others into touch. When the 500Gb boxes were first introduced there was supposed to be a choice between Amstrad or Samsung. I don't know of any who actually got the latter.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.