Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Plus signal and customer service problems

This is a discussion on Sky Plus signal and customer service problems within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi, I have been having signal problems with my sky plus box. The signal test shows that both satellite inputs ...

markjb81 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: o2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky Plus signal and customer service problems

Hi,
      I have been having signal problems with my sky plus box. The signal test shows that both satellite inputs have 50% signal strength and 75% signal quality. The signal quality and strength have been like this for three and a half years and I have never had a problem.

But for the past 3 months i receive Error 25 about signal strength every two or three days which tells me to unplug the box and wait 5 minutes.
      This sometimes fixes it and sometimes does not.

I spoke to sky customer service who gave me some instructions which fixed the problem, however 10 minutes later the problem re-occurred. I phoned back and they gave me some more tips, which did not work.

The customer service lady then gave me the following three options.

1. Upgrade to sky HD and they will send me a new box
      2. Take out sky insurance for around 10 pounds per month
      3. If I do not want to upgrade to sky hd, i would have to pay 299 pounds for a new box as I would not have a hd subscription.

Apparently the 50 pounds a month i am paying for the normal sky doesn't count for anything.

Does anybody have any advice as none of these options appeal to me. I thought there was a possibility to replace a broken box for 50 or 60 pounds, which I would be happy to do but that does not seem to be a problem as they want me to upgrade to sky hd.

The insurance doesn't appeal to me either as the cost is the same per month as the upgrading to sky plus.

300 pounds for a new box - come on.

I spoke to the customer service on sunday, so I am going to call them back on monday as maybe the weekday staff are better than the weekend staff. But at the moment I am considering cancelling then subscription completely as I think they are just taking the p.........

Andy advice would be much appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      nk1989 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Sky Plus signal and customer service problems

Unfortunately what a lot of people do not realize is that unlike other providers after 12 months ALL Sky equipment is the customers - and with that means there is no warranty provided. Like you said Extended Warranty is 8.25 a month, the main benefit of that is if you are a BB customer aswell as it will cover your router too.

In reality a Sky + HD Box without the HD Sub is only 199 (They retail at 299 how ever Sky already take 100 off the cost of these) and 60 for installation. You could potentially order a Self Install for 15 & if the issue is still happening order an In-Warranty Service Call to resolve it.

Whether you speak to someone on a Sunday or a Tuesday, the options will remain the same. I know if I had to choose between an Upgrade of 10.25 a month for a brand new HD Box or 199 up front, I'd certainly be taking the first option.

How ever for you the best option is simple - order a normal Engineer Visit, it will cost 65 and comes with a 90 Day Warranty. During the visit if the Engineer discovers it is the current Sky + Box at fault he will give you a re-furbished box.
      I got mojo

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

It might be worth you looking on somewhere like eBay and purchasing a 2nd hand STB that way.

Look out for the old Thomson Sky+ HD STB as these are now being phased out and won't support future developments.

The Amstrad DRX780 struggled to be upgraded to support Anytime+. I wonder if it will have more problems with other developments.

Once you've received the STB, it is a relatively simple task to swap the leads between your existing STB and the new one. when you swap the viewing card over, you'll need to call Sky to get it paired with the new STB before you can use it.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

skyconnectsufferer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: holland on sea
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet pro
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by markjb81 View Post
      Hi,
      I have been having signal problems with my sky plus box. The signal test shows that both satellite inputs have 50% signal strength and 75% signal quality. The signal quality and strength have been like this for three and a half years and I have never had a problem.

But for the past 3 months i receive Error 25 about signal strength every two or three days which tells me to unplug the box and wait 5 minutes.
      This sometimes fixes it and sometimes does not.

I spoke to sky customer service who gave me some instructions which fixed the problem, however 10 minutes later the problem re-occurred. I phoned back and they gave me some more tips, which did not work.

The customer service lady then gave me the following three options.

3. If I do not want to upgrade to sky hd, i would have to pay 299 pounds for a new box as I would not have a hd subscription.

Apparently the 50 pounds a month i am paying for the normal sky doesn't count for anything.

Does anybody have any advice as none of these options appeal to me. I thought there was a possibility to replace a broken box for 50 or 60 pounds, which I would be happy to do but that does not seem to be a problem as they want me to upgrade to sky hd.

The insurance doesn't appeal to me either as the cost is the same per month as the upgrading to sky plus.

300 pounds for a new box - come on.

I spoke to the customer service on sunday, so I am going to call them back on monday as maybe the weekday staff are better than the weekend staff. But at the moment I am considering cancelling then subscription completely as I think they are just taking the p.........

Andy advice would be much appreciated.
      What if you brought a sky box off eBay?

Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by markjb81 View Post
      ..........The customer service lady then gave me the following three options.

3. If I do not want to upgrade to sky hd, i would have to pay 299 pounds for a new box as I would not have a hd subscription........
      She forgot the 4th option. A Service Call for 65. To include the inspection and replacement as required of all or part of your gear. If the box is deemed to be unfit, a replacement box is part of the charge. It may not be new, but you may get lucky with the installer who appears, and installs a new Amstrad DRX890.

Be clear about this. Stand firm on the 65 Callout option, and don't take any bull about anything else. If there's any nonsense from the agent, ask for a supervisor immediately. Sky are up to their necks in the hard sell of HD. Don't accept any of it.

Work carried out on a Service Call is guaranteed for 3 months.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

markjb81 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: o2
      Thanks

Thanks for all your replies.
      I think the 65 pound service call sounds like the best idea.
      Does anybody know if the problem has to be occurring when the engineer is at my house or can they tell if the box is faulty anyway. As I said, this happens about 2 or 3 times a week, but knowing my luck it will look perfect when he is here.

Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

It doesn't have to be occurring when the guy calls. The fact that you are getting the error message is enough. The whole setup should be tested. Some people manage to make a recording when they get 'No Satellite Signal' messages, so that they can show the installer, others take a pic on a camera

You may have a LNB problem, or maybe the box itself is faulty. What Make & Model is it? Check System Details.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

Space is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

If you're out of contract on the TV, phone up cancellations. Say you're leaving because your box is broken - they'll offer you a new "self installation" HD box for 15 (no HD sub needed)

Old_nick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Of course, the danger of buying a new or second-hand box, or getting a self-install box for 15 is that the fault may not be with the box at all. It could be a faulty dish or wiring, which a new box won't fix. The 65 call out is the best option, because the dish can be tested and replaced, if necessary.

bryan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leith
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Technicolor TG582n Fibre Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD DRX890W
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Old_nick View Post
      Of course, the danger of buying a new or second-hand box, or getting a self-install box for 15 is that the fault may not be with the box at all. It could be a faulty dish or wiring, which a new box won't fix. The 65 call out is the best option, because the dish can be tested and replaced, if necessary.
      They way to find out if it is the box at fault is to swap it with a neighbours/friends box, if the fault is still there it isn't the box, if it isn't there then your box is faulty and you can get the 15 offer...