Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky+HD channel issues

This is a discussion on Sky+HD channel issues within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I had sky installed in Jan11 & had no problems for a few months, then in April I started to ...

cowboybert is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Sky+HD channel issues

I had sky installed in Jan11 & had no problems for a few months, then in April I started to get pixelated channels & error message 25.

I called Sky who sent a local fitter out & said that it was a tree across the road that was causing the issue & my sky contract was ended that night as nothing could be done. I unplugged the box & never gave it a second thought.

So the other day I was bored with Freeview & it's 10 channels (yes in Mid Wales that's all we get)

I plugged the sky box in & i'm getting a fairly decent signal on all the usual channels but a few music channels, Ch4HD & CBS Reality are still all pixelated or give the error message 25.

On these channels.. the input1 signal strength & quality are both non existent.... but input2 are more than adequate being half full bar.

So if the tree is the problem then why am I still getting a good input2 signal?

I don't understand or know anything about how these signals work, so maybe my logic is flawed...

So is there anyone out there who can help me work out the problem.

Thanks in advance CB

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,235 Times in 2,100 Posts

Re: Sky+HD channel issues

Why is it impossible for the installer to either:

• move the dish?
      • try a different LNB?
      • recheck the coax cables?

Also, is it possible for you to arrange for someone to trim the tree?

If this is the problem, then either it has grown at an abnormally fast rate, which the original installer was unable to predict for the type of tree that is blocking your view.

Personally I would say that they installer should have known what he/she was doing and been able to predict the fact that the tree would be covered in green leaves in April and be likely to block the reception on the dish.

3 months in my limited opinion is not a very good interval and I would expect someone to be able to set up a dish in a manner that was free from obstruction for a much longer period irrespective of any T&Cs.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Exchange:
      Thanks

The guy who came out did look into moving the dish but being in a block of flats... he said it was too big a distance to slap one on the other side of the building.

Not sure about the other 2.. He was in the living room checking the signal & the sockets at the back... but he never put a ladder up to the dish at all.

The tree is protected, unfortunately & can't be touched.

Now as for not knowing about the tree.... The guy who came to install in Dec10, but couldn't because of the snow, mentioned problems with placing the dish where it is.. but the guy who actually did the install... said that was bull****.

BTW... Does this indicate that there is a problem with the dish itself or could the tree be blocking one signal & not the other?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,235 Times in 2,100 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cowboybert View Post
      BTW... Does this indicate that there is a problem with the dish itself or could the tree be blocking one signal & not the other?
      A poor signal can be caused by one of the following:

1. with the Thomson Sky+ STB it can indicate that the PSU is failing
      2. a faulty LNB
      3. water has got into the coax
      4. the coax has become compromised (i.e. someone has stuck something sharp through it or the F-Plugs were not fitted properly)
      5. the dish is misaligned
      6. the signal to the dish is blocked

Since you had a new installation in January, you would have been supplied an Amstrad DRX890 or DRX895 (1TB model). The Thomson is an old STB which hasn't been supplied as new for a few years.

The dish needs to be able to see the Sky (or clouds) without anything blocking it. If it is possible, I would be inclined to see if you can safely check this yourself.

If this is the case, then personally I suspect that you have a case to get the dish moved at the installer's expense (Sky would have to resolve this as they contracted it out).

Check out the other possibilities as far as you can and get some advice through someone like CAB.

If you have problems getting through to someone at Sky, members can provide details of the Executive Team who can deal with the complaint.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

Your problem channels are all on Eurobird, so your dish may need a slight adjusment. Also, some music channel frequencies are affected by DECT phones near the digibox. Switch off and see if that helps. If it does, move the base station away from the digibox.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

Exchange:
      Thanks

I appreciate all the feedback, but I am looking for some definitive info, & while I know this may not be possible... I need something to hit Sky with...

I can see that lots of things may cause a lack of signal...but what would cause no signal on input 1 & normal signal on input2..

Surely if the signal for the channel is good on input one it should be good on the other?

or is that flawed logic?

I should already point out that i've flipped the cables round.. & I am going to try another box asap.

And the box I have is a DRX890 & I have BT for phone & ISP with & a Homehub 2
      Last edited by cowboybert; 24-06-11 at 01:41 PM.

Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

The channels you are missing are beamed from Eurobird 1 @28.5East, which is at a slightly different dish 'angle' ( to put it simply ) as other channels that are beamed from the Astra cluster @28.2East. It is perfectly possible for you to get a 'No Satellite Signal' message when tuned to a Eurobird channel, and good reception on the other input from an Astra channel. You may be able to see this if you do a dual recording of a 'problem' channel and a 'good' channel simulanteously. Check your Signal Strengths whilst the dual recording is in progress.

There are a number of other reasons for your 'No Satellite Signal' messages. These have been outlined by others. It may even be the box software.

Try another box. If you still get the same symptoms, your setup ( dish/LNB/cabling ), or the tree, will probably be the culprit. If not, it will be the box.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenedin View Post
      'No Satellite Signal' message when tuned to a Eurobird channel, and good reception on the other input from an Astra channel.
      Now I understand... thank you...

Won't be able to check while recording as i'm no longer subscribed to Sky... but I did want to kick up a fuss as there didn't seem to be much problem finding going off before the contract was ended, but it seems pointless.

I am unsatisfied with the 10 channels we get here.. I am going to look for a Freesat HD box recorder type thing, but didn't want to waste time & money if the reception was going to be the same..

Thank you all for your time & patience...

MartinP is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Slingbox
      Thanks

Set your Digibox to "single input" mode then test it with ONE cable connected to LNB input 1.
      Repeat with the other cable.

If both cables work OK then the problem lies inside the Digibox.