Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connecting Sky+HD box, Samsung LED TV and Sony DVD recorder

This is a discussion on Connecting Sky+HD box, Samsung LED TV and Sony DVD recorder within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi I am a complete novice at this so would appreciate any help that can be given. I have purchased ...

brianmulligan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Connecting Sky+HD box, Samsung LED TV and Sony DVD recorder

Hi

I am a complete novice at this so would appreciate any help that can be given.

I have purchased a Sony RDR-DC100 DVD/hard drive recorder and wish to hook it up to my TV and Sky+HD box.

The equipment has the following rear connections:

Samsung LED TV: ANTENNA IN, EXT(RGB), AV IN, COMPONENT IN and HDMI 1,2,3,4
      Samsung Sky+HD boxISH INPUT 1 & 2, HDMI, AERIAL IN, RF OUT 1 & 2, VCR/DVD SCART and TV SCART
      Sony RDR-DC100 DVD recorder:AERIAL IN & OUT, SCART LINE 1/DECODER, SCART LINE 2 –TV and HDMI OUT

I tried various combinations but even though I can play DVDs, I cannot seem to tune the DVD recorder into the TV to search for the SKY channel (when I auto search digital channels it doesn’t pick anything up).

If anyone could advise me on the best way to hook these up so that I can record from the SKY+ HD box to the hard drive of the DVD recorder I would be most appreciative. If I have left any relevant details out, please let me know.

I tried

Many thanks.

Brian Mulligan

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,233 Times in 2,099 Posts

Re: Connecting Sky+HD box, Samsung LED TV and Sony DVD recorder

Quote Originally Posted by brianmulligan View Post
      I have purchased a Sony RDR-DC100 DVD/hard drive recorder and wish to hook it up to my TV and Sky+HD box.

The equipment has the following rear connections:

Samsung LED TV: ANTENNA IN, EXT(RGB), AV IN, COMPONENT IN and HDMI 1,2,3,4
      Samsung Sky+HD boxISH INPUT 1 & 2, HDMI, AERIAL IN, RF OUT 1 & 2, VCR/DVD SCART and TV SCART
      Sony RDR-DC100 DVD recorder:AERIAL IN & OUT, SCART LINE 1/DECODER, SCART LINE 2 –TV and HDMI OUT
      Try this:

TV Aerial
      Terrestrial aerial --> Sky+ HD RF Input --> Sky+ HD RF1 Out --> Sony DVD recorder RF In --> Sony DVD recorder RF Out --> TV RF In

HDMI
      Sky+ HD HDMI --> Samsung TV HDMI 2 or 3 (Port 1 is best for a PC but would work with Sky)

Scart
      Sky+ HD Scart to TV --> Sony DVD Recorder Scart 1 --> Sony DVD Recorder Scart --> Samsung TV Scart (1 or 2, doesn't matter)

For the Scart lead from your Sky STB to the DVD recorder, cut the wire to Pin 8 and attach a label to this lead to identify it. This will prevent the TV from jumping to the Scart input whenever you turn the Sky STB on, but allow the TV to jump when you play DVDs.

This setup will also allow you to record material from the Sky STB onto the DVD in stereo. Recording it using the RF Input would only be in mono.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Graylion is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woolston 02380
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Presumably you didn't buy the DVD recorder or TV new? They would have come with pretty comprehensive manuals which detail all the options for hookups between equipment. I know we tend to resist using manuals but this would be a good time to RTFM!

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,233 Times in 2,099 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graylion View Post
      ...this would be a good time to RTFM!
      A lot of people get confused over all this.

With manuals from different manufacturers they each describe the same thing in different ways. Some refer to the 'Scart socket', others call them 'Euroscart', others AV1 & AV2. AV1 on most other devices is the 'Phono connections'. This is before we even look at 'S-VHS' or 'Component' connections.

The Samsung Sky+ HD STB has an input & output for the Scart connection. This is also the case for the DVD Recorder. Which should you have first in the chain?

Are you now confused or do you have an understanding? Not everyone out there does.

Hopefully the process I described above will be more practical & helpful at the same time.

The tip about cutting the wire for pin 8 comes from knowledge of how the Scart system works and works very well on my setup.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.