Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree3Likes

"Misaligned" Dish, who's liable?

This is a discussion on "Misaligned" Dish, who's liable? within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi guys, I've just registered as a new user so I can get some help on a problem I'm having. ...

UnderCeej is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

"Misaligned" Dish, who's liable?

Hi guys,

I've just registered as a new user so I can get some help on a problem I'm having.

New sky customer, joined in March, had plenty of issues with Sky itself but thankfully, the advisers have been quick to help me out.

Now, the weather has been bad recently, we all know that. But my problem is to do with the Sky dish that's outside my building.

I only moved into my new flat in March, and Campbell & Kennedy were who Sky chose to come fit my HD box. Luckily, the previous occupant had Sky HD so it was merely a case of plugging the box into the existing cable. It's at this point where I think I should have asked the C&K engineer to check the dish(?)

The TV went out at 3.30pm yesterday. No Satellite Signal is Being Received, error 29. I've switched it off overnight, and switched it back on this morning. No joy. I've called Sky and they had me do a "planner rebuild", a software update and also the good ol' "switch it off for 10 minutes, unplug everything, and plug it back in".

Nothing.

So they've told me to call C&K to arrange for an engineer to come out. I've called them, and they've told me it'll cost me 55 because "the warranty doesn't cover storm damage". I called Sky back up, and the gentleman assured me I was covered. So I've called C&K back, and they're not budging. It'll cost me 55 to get an engineer out.

Where do I stand here? Anyone else having issues? I have no idea how old the dish is or who fitted it, but surely that shouldn't affect MY warranty??

Any help is appreciated on this, I'm so angry I'm currently paying for a service I'm not getting!
      lisanwilliam likes this.

2. Advertisement
      Pengwern is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WNOSW
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Re: "Misaligned" Dish, who's liable?

Well according to the Ts and Cs that you sign ... When having a new install they are liable to install a new dish and cabling. If the installer didn't do that, then you could argue they didn't do a complete new install!!

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I can't see why Sky are asking you to ring a company they outsourced the installation to. Ring sky again and tell them your TV is not working. Go through the troubleshooting procedure as normal and ask for an engineer to be sent out under the 12 month installation warranty.

No need to mention Campbell & Kennedy or bad weather.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I never once mentioned C&K to Sky, both times I've called up they've went to book an engineer visit, then said "oh, it's been a third party installation, you'll need to contact Campbell and Kennedy on your own"

I've just called up SKy and been told for a 3rd time they can't do anything about it and it will be at C&K's disposal whether or not an engineer comes out and whether they will charge me or not.

If C&K continue to tell me they'll charge me, I can see me cancelling my sky subscription tonight!

Thanks

Whom did you place your sky order with?

Exchange:
      Thanks

I ordered with Sky, they subcontracted the job to C&K without me having very much say in it.

On phone to another advisor just now, she sounds a bit more hopeful, I'm now on hold while she speaks to a manager. (is that lingo for "away for a cuppa"?)

Exchange:
      Thanks

I'm going absolutely mental on this phone, she is now telling me that they cannot do anything, as Campbell and Kennedy are the people I need to contact.

Am I within my consumer rights to tell them to come and get their sky stuff back? I am NOT paying 55 for something that isn't my fault!!

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,233 Times in 2,099 Posts

It is quite simple: Sky subcontracted out the job. It is their responsibility.

Insist that they contact the contractor themselves.

If they are unwilling to do this, speak with a manager.

Remember to play nice on the telephone. This always helps the person to be more willing to help.

Failing this, we can provide you with contact details for someone much further up the food chain.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

adamcooke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

By the sounds of it, when Sky installed your box everything was working correctly. The recent weather is the cause of your dish issues and, other than perhaps tightening the bolts on your dish itself, there isn't anything the engineers could have done to prevent this.

I agree it's not your fault, but this isn't Sky's fault either and the warranty doesn't include storm damage so it's your responsibly to pay for the repairs. If you have any insurance, it may cover things like this but I doubt it'd be worth claiming for 55.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      It is quite simple: Sky subcontracted out the job. It is their responsibility.

Insist that they contact the contractor themselves.

If they are unwilling to do this, speak with a manager.

Remember to play nice on the telephone. This always helps the person to be more willing to help.

Failing this, we can provide you with contact details for someone much further up the food chain.
      I'd agree. Play nice on the phone. Don't lose the plot, but be polite BUT assertive. Tell them what you need them to do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast