Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

SKY+ please help me !!!

This is a discussion on SKY+ please help me !!! within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I have got SKY+ in the living room and I want to have NORMAL tv upstairs. I do not have ...

jvcvfla is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

SKY+ please help me !!!

I have got SKY+ in the living room and I want to have NORMAL tv upstairs. I do not have antenna or anything like that.
      So what i was thinking about is connecting a cable to the sky dish then connect to the tv which's got freeview built in.
      Having said that, can i just do it or do i need anything to get this done? do i need a sky box to put in the other room?
      thank you !!

2. Advertisement
      Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

Re: SKY+ please help me !!!

You'll certainly get Freesat from the Sky dish ( with a Freesat enabled tv, or with a Freesat set top box ), but not Freeview, as it receives its signals from terrestrial transmitters through an ordinary aerial.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,233 Times in 2,099 Posts

The satellite dish will not be suitable for picking up FreeView channels. For a start it is unlikely to be pointing in the correct direction.

If you wish to receive FreeView, then you will need to connect the TV to an aerial.

You could opt for a multi-room set up, where you will have a 2nd STB installed in your bedroom. This will cost you an extra 10 per month or 20.50 if you want HD as well.

Alternatively you could install a coax cable that takes a feed from the main Sky STB to your other TV. Tune the TV to the Sky STB's frequency & install a Magic-Eye. This would allow you to watch the Sky STB on your other TV and with a 2nd remote, you can switch channels from upstairs.

Taking this 2nd option a little further, you could have a normal aerial feeding the TV downstairs and in turn feeding the TV upstairs, allowing both to have FreeView.

The fourth choice, as Kenedin has pointed out, is to install a Freesat STB. This would allow you to view all the free-to-air channels.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      The satellite dish will not be suitable for picking up FreeView channels. For a start it is unlikely to be pointing in the correct direction.

If you wish to receive FreeView, then you will need to connect the TV to an aerial.

You could opt for a multi-room set up, where you will have a 2nd STB installed in your bedroom. This will cost you an extra 10 per month or 20.50 if you want HD as well.

Alternatively you could install a coax cable that takes a feed from the main Sky STB to your other TV. Tune the TV to the Sky STB's frequency & install a Magic-Eye. This would allow you to watch the Sky STB on your other TV and with a 2nd remote, you can switch channels from upstairs.

Taking this 2nd option a little further, you could have a normal aerial feeding the TV downstairs and in turn feeding the TV upstairs, allowing both to have FreeView.

The fourth choice, as Kenedin has pointed out, is to install a Freesat STB. This would allow you to view all the free-to-air channels.
      Hello,
      If i get a Freesat STB box, get a cable from the sky dish to connect to this box , will i be able to watch the free channels? bbc 1,2 ITV 1234 etc?
      whats the difference betweeen freesat and freeview?
      thanks you

Exchange:
      Thanks

and another thing, Iv just been looking at the dish and its got 4 output. 2 of them are coming to the sky+ box in the living room. The other 2 are empty.
      So do i need 2 cables to connect to the freesat box or just one?
      thanks

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

You need one cable for a standard freesat box or 2 if you get one with the record facility.

Freesat has a few different channels on it.

Chances are it would be cheaper to get a freeview box (which connects to a standard TV aerial) and an aerial fitted if you need one than buy a Freesat box and cable it up.

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,233 Times in 2,099 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jvcvfla View Post
      If i get a Freesat STB box, get a cable from the sky dish to connect to this box , will i be able to watch the free channels? bbc 1,2 ITV 1234 etc?
      Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by jvcvfla View Post
      whats the difference betweeen freesat and freeview?
      thanks you
      Essentially one requires a Satellite Dish, the other requires a TV aerial.

Rather than I go into a full breakdown of the differences, perhaps you may wish to look at their respective websites?

freesat - Subscription free HD Satellite TV through a Digital Box

Freeview / Home

List of channels on Freesat

List of channels on Freeview

As Smithy99 has pointed out, if you get a Freesat STB, then you will have 2 choices:

* get a STB without a record facility
      * get a STB with a record facility (like the Sky+ features)

If you want the facility to record to work, then you can use the 2 empty connections on your LNB, otherwise you will only require 1 feed. With the 2 feeds, you will be best advised to purchase twin coax, rather than two lengths of single coax.

Because Freeview works through the aerial and your TV already has Freeview built in, you would not require an additional STB. All you would need to do is to pop down to the shops (Argos or any other suitable retailer) and purchase a TV aerial kit. Before you go, make a note of what other local residents use and in which direction their aerials are pointed. Make sure that the coax is long enough and that any fixture brackets will be suitable for your needs.

If you want to purchase a PVR to record Freeview, then many are available. They often allow you to record one channel, whilst watching another.

It is not really practical for me to say what would be the best solution for you. There are too man personal variables which can influence your choice.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.