Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Do I need a landline to have sky multiroom?

This is a discussion on Do I need a landline to have sky multiroom? within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi, I want to scrap my sky broadband (due to slow speed) & cancel my landline altogether (never gets used) ...

1978ad is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 011327777
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Do I need a landline to have sky multiroom?

Hi,
      I want to scrap my sky broadband (due to slow speed) & cancel my landline altogether (never gets used) & go to Virgins fibre optic broadband.

However, I'm reading everywhere that as I have multi room (1 sky+ & 1 sky+ hd box) that I still need a landline. This seems like a waste of 12 a month to get nothing in return. What happens if I get my phone line completely removed, can I use my two sky boxes at all, & if so will I still be able to access all the services (red button options for sport etc.)?

Any help/advice would be much appreciated!
      Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Do I need a landline to have sky multiroom?

By the regulations, which Sky enforce, you must have both your boxes permanently connected to a phone line. If you take out your landline you will have to cancel your multi room. This means you will only get free to veiw programs on it and will not have any of the Sky+ functions. Sky do not bother too much about the phone line if you only have one box.

It may seem harsh, but Sky do this to prevent users taking the box to another address and having next to free Sky TV.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks for you reply.

It sounds like yet another excuse for a big company to force honest & loyal customers to pay an extra cost.....
      I think I'll just cancel my multi-room, broadband & phone line with Sky & try Virgin for a while!

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

It isn't a money grabbing exercise.

The content that Sky show is licensed for the UK & Ireland.

Your contract with Sky is for you to receive it in this area and not elsewhere in Europe.

There are many instances of people leaving the UK and taking their Sky equipment with them to Spain, Portugal, Germany, etc.

Strictly speaking these setups are against Sky's T&Cs and Sky do disconnect those who have taken their equipment out of the UK & Ireland.

Multi-room allows you to purchase the whole Sky TV package for two or more STBs for an additional 10 per month. In theory you could then 'rent' these to your friends or family, whether they are in this country or somewhere in Europe for a small profit each month.

No one is suggesting that you ever intended to do this. Unfortunately some enterprising individuals have done so.

By getting your STBs to call Sky periodically (for free), Sky can check that you haven;t done this.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Steev is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01270
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

But surely there is no need to be connected to the phone line once the initial 12 month contract period has ended?

If, after lets say 14 months, I disconnect my Sky box from the phone line surely I will still get all the same channels and ability to record, pause, rewind live tv etc as I could when connected

Steve

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: Do I need a land-line to have sky multi-room?

We are talking multi-room here.

If you only have the one STB, then after the initial 12 month contract you can safely disconnect your STB.

It is when you have 2 or more STBs that this issue becomes more of a problem.

Thinking about this, there is another solution that the OP may wish to investigate: VOIP. I wonder if there is a VOIP phone that could be connected to a router that could dial Sky and provide a UK number which would fool their servers?

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Thanks

Thanks for your replies on clearing this up for me. It's covinced me to change everything from Sky instead of just the broadband & phoneline as I initially intended!
      I'm sure by now they could come up with a way to make sure we aren't all taking our boxes all over the world! Maybe ensuring that the box only works with the specific satellite dish instead of having a removable card dial up through an old fashioned landline!
      Oh well, Virgin here I come.

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

Re: Do I need a land-line to have sky multi-room?

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I wonder if there is a VOIP phone that could be connected to a router that could dial Sky and provide a UK number which would fool their servers?
      Vonage connects to the router via LAN and provides a local UK number with unlimited UK calls for as low as 6pcm. If the only thing the servers check for is a UK number then this should work.

I am pretty sure some VOIP providers (smaller ones) also allow registering one number to more than one device which basically means you can do with multi-room exactly what sky don't want you to do.