Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky + queries.

This is a discussion on Sky + queries. within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I notice that when I watch e.g. SHERLOCK HOLMES that there is movement, the faintest of rippling on the screen. ...

JRK
      JRK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky + queries.

I notice that when I watch e.g. SHERLOCK HOLMES that there is movement, the faintest of rippling on the screen. It seems to happen when watching video rather than programs on film. It is almost as if when the image moves, even slightly, the picture takes a split second to catch up. I don't know when the pictures, because it is video is scanning less efficiently.

The other problem I seem to be getting recently is when I watch a recorded program, I can get to the program but it won't start, I have to get out and start again and then it is OK. I notice that, again with the video, sometimes when I stop the video (cuppa tea) it won't start, then will suddenly start but a mibnute or so before the starting point.

Finally, recently I have noticed that sub titles are out of sync', starting and ending before the scene has properly begun . Difficult to explain..... be patient.

I have switched the box off and rebooted to see if the system could be shocked into getting in sync. The subs were always OK, it is only fairly recently I have realised what was annoying me.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,233 Times in 2,099 Posts

Re: Sky + queries.

The flickering screen issue could be down to your TV. What type of screen is it? Also which specific STB do you have (make & model)?

As for the subtitles, it has been mentioned previously about them becoming out of sink. I believe there may be a software issue with this.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

JRK
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Thank you...

Reference the the picture, most of the time the picture is almost HD quality on My Panasonic 28" Flat screen LCD. It is only when older taped programs are broadcast e.g. Holmes, Poirot, Marple and the like are shown in their video form. Filmed..... no problem. I am wondering whether there is a scanning incompatability.

I would not call it flickering, I think rippling covers it better. Still watchable but when you know it is there you see it everytime. It is a very fine phenomenon, miniscule, but enough to catch the eye. If is is something than can happen with a certain generation of videod programs, we can do not a thing.

Thanks

I am wondering where the effect is coming from for the moment.

From where you are posting and your profile, I believe that you have a Sky+ STB, not a HD one.

The rippling might be caused by your TV in it's attempt to upgrade the picture quality from SD to it's definition.

To verify this, I would be tempted to search the Panasonic or AV forums/support sites to see if others have noticed a similar issue.

LCD & LED TVs, particularly the larger ones, have a reputation of not being fast enough on the refresh for gamers or football enthusiasts. Yours could be exhibiting these issues for you.

JRK
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Thank you. I went to an AV forum and was summarily told to go to this or s similar forum for a SKY problem.

Rouhnd and round we go.

Thank you anyway

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JRK View Post
      Thank you. I went to an AV forum and was summarily told to go to this or s similar forum for a SKY problem.

Rouhnd and round we go.

Thank you anyway
      Sorry.

My line of thought is:

* it could be a software issue with the Sky+ STB

* it could be an issue with the TV

Do you get similar issues with a DVD Player?

Also could you double check your Scart lead? Perhaps you may need to re-route the cable or swap in a different one.

Also which brand of STB do you actually have? Some do suffer from particular issues, other members might be better able than me to comment on specific issues. Have you tried using a different Scart connector on the TV?

Finally, you mentioned that you TV is almost HD. What is the actual screen resolution?

MartinP is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Slingbox
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Also which specific STB do you have (make & model)?
      You can't expect to get help if you refuse to give this information. It's on the underside or on the rear panel.