Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Setting up sky multiroom?

This is a discussion on Setting up sky multiroom? within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Basically, got sky hd in the front room downstairs, another room with sky plus downstairs. I think we only have ...

kodiplod is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Setting up sky multiroom?

Basically, got sky hd in the front room downstairs, another room with sky plus downstairs. I think we only have a 4 LNB on the dish. I want sky plus multiroom upstairs in my room.

I have a sky plus box and sky want over 100 for installation, and a third part installer want 60.

how could i install it myself?

Or is there a way i can run it down the the sky plus box downstairs, i know that only allows me to watch whats being watched downstairs but it would do for the time being! Any ideas?

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeers

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Re: Setting up sky multiroom?

There are several ways that you could achieve your desired goal (i.e. Sky in your bedroom).

You've mentioned that your LNB only has 4 ports. Someone posted the other day that you could get an 8 port LNB for around 20 now.

If you were able to change this yourself, then you could run the suitable twin coax cable from the LNB to the bedroom upstairs yourself. You'll also need 4x F Plugs to put on the Sat cable.

Do ensure that you watch what you're doing on the ladder when changing the LNB. Be safe!

If you have a suitable drill-bit, you can also drill the hole through the wall.

The alternative option that you mentioned is to run a length of coax from either of your downstairs Sky boxes, using the RF2 Output to your bedroom. Purchase a Multi-Eye & a second remote control. You'll need to turn on the power output from the Sky box for the RF2 for the Multi-Eye to work as well.

Again, ensure that you plan ahead & measure enough coax. Consider too whether you want to use wall mounted plates to route the coax up into the loft & ensure that you can run the cable before attempting anything.

A third option is to purchase a suitable 'wireless sender' that can plug into the Scart socket of either Sky STB, with the receiver in the TV in your bedroom. These cost anything from around 60 and can also have units to allow you to use a remote control to change the channels.

I'll mention a 4th option, but this might be difficult of you don't like the first two. This is to get a sender for the HDMI. Some require the use of two LAN cables to run from downstairs to the bedroom. Again remote control is supported.

Search Maplin for each of these solutions to give you a clearer idea of cost. There may be other suppliers out there that are better priced.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.