Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Certain channels not working Thomson Skydigbox

This is a discussion on Certain channels not working Thomson Skydigbox within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi folks, Wondering if anybody can help I have a Thomson Skydigibox which we are having problems with. We have ...

markc1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Certain channels not working Thomson Skydigbox

Hi folks, Wondering if anybody can help I have a Thomson Skydigibox which we are having problems with. We have an HD box in the living room which is working absolutely fine so thinking it's box related. Basically it won't receive certain channels. Namely channel 5, Sky sports 1,3,4 and news and Discovery channels 520-528. There are a few other random ones aswell. What is a bit stange is most of them will just come up with no satellite signal being received or technical problem with this channel whereas the sports channels wait about 30 seconds before displaying the technical problem with this channel message. If you keep flicking to and from the channel you want to watch eventually it will work and that will be that until you want to check something on another channel.

I have tried unplugging all the cables etc. Have tried resetting and updating the box by holding the back up button during power up. Tried the online method for resetting the LNB. I also phoned customer services and was speaking to somebody who was about to take me through some steps, unfortunetly got cut off and when I called back the girl I spoke me told me to unplug my box and if that doesn't work I will need an engineer at 75.

The box is rather old around 8 years we had this one. From what I have read through trying to problem solve it seems the Thomson boxes are not the best and I am planning on buying a Sky+ box for the second room however for now if anybody has any advice or other ideas I could try would appreciate it.

Thanks

Mark

2. Advertisement
      Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

Re: Certain channels not working Thomson Skydigbox

You have the usual capacitor problem on the PSU. Repairable if you wish, around 18 for a RELKIT33JS caps set from Satcure for you to DIY, more if you get a local shop to do the job. Otherwise bin it. Use Search above for more on 'Thomson PSU'.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

nige1983 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MRDEN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Hi, Another option of avoiding the 75 engineer call out is to call Sky and ask to take out Sky Protect. It's 8.25 P/M and this gives you engineer call outs and box replacement/repairs. If you decide on this option only do it via Sky Customer Services as lots of companies (using the term loosely) try conning people.

I had an issue with my sky + box in my bedroom (about 4 year old), like yourslef ruled out everything other than the box and rather than pay for an engineer I took out Sky Protect. In turn they sent an engineer out who replaced the box for me and all now fine. The box wasn't brand new it was a refurbed one but it works fine and hasn't given me any trouble since. And for 8.25 a month I found it well worth it. It covers all my sky euipment that is out of warranty so router, HD Box now and the box in the bedroom. Im also not tied in with SKy protect for any term and cancel whenever I want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenedin View Post
      You have the usual capacitor problem on the PSU. Repairable if you wish, around 18 for a RELKIT33JS caps set from Satcure for you to DIY, more if you get a local shop to do the job. Otherwise bin it. Use Search above for more on 'Thomson PSU'.
      Thanks I had read a bit about that wasn't too sure though. Appreciate your insight.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nige1983 View Post
      Hi, Another option of avoiding the 75 engineer call out is to call Sky and ask to take out Sky Protect. It's 8.25 P/M and this gives you engineer call outs and box replacement/repairs. If you decide on this option only do it via Sky Customer Services as lots of companies (using the term loosely) try conning people.

I had an issue with my sky + box in my bedroom (about 4 year old), like yourslef ruled out everything other than the box and rather than pay for an engineer I took out Sky Protect. In turn they sent an engineer out who replaced the box for me and all now fine. The box wasn't brand new it was a refurbed one but it works fine and hasn't given me any trouble since. And for 8.25 a month I found it well worth it. It covers all my sky euipment that is out of warranty so router, HD Box now and the box in the bedroom. Im also not tied in with SKy protect for any term and cancel whenever I want.
      Sounds like a good idea I understand what you mean. I have been looking at Sky + boxes on Ebay just as when I went to upgrade to multi-room I should have been given one of these boxes but it was just at the point where they stopped offering them for free on multi-room. My last couple of Sky bills have been over 100 for the month so really don't want to be paying them anything extra. Handy to know for the future though incase we do have any bigger problems. Thanks.