Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

concurrently running 2 recorders

This is a discussion on concurrently running 2 recorders within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I am currently a sky user, but am only paying a subscription to enable the use of the sky + ...

yvonnedreyfuss is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01659
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

concurrently running 2 recorders

I am currently a sky user, but am only paying a subscription to enable the use of the sky + recorder.

I am planning on getting a freesat hard drive recorder, but cannot get the sky + empty enough to be able to go over to freesat. Is it possible to run both concurrently, so that new recordings can go onto the freest, whilst I watch the sky +, and empty it.

I have been given some advice from the digital switchover help scheme, who can supply a recorder, cheaper. They say that I would have to have a second dish, or the guarantee would be made invalid....... They would be supplying a Grundig, though they can't say which model.

1...Are grundigs a good reliable machine in general?, or should i;

2...Alternatively, buy a freesat, independently.

3...Should I / could I, ...run a second dish? The space at the front of my home is limited.

I don't mind how it is acheived, but I don't know about interference and things like that. I also don't mind swapping cables on the back of the machines, if necessary.

Very grateful for any help. Vonnie

2. Advertisement
      Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

Re: concurrently running 2 recorders

You don't need a second dish, only an additional cable from a spare port on the dish LNB to your Freesat recorder. Sky and Freesat both use the same Astra satellites for their channels.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kenedin For This Useful Post:

yvonnedreyfuss (17-02-11)

Woodster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01442
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

FYI, Grundig, goodmans, bush and alba are all the same! Poor quality, made in the same factory with the same components. The best Freesat recorder on the market by far is the Humax Foxsat HDR. Goodmans and Grundig come with either a 320gb HDD or a 500gb HDD. The Humax is only available with 500gb. Save up a few quid more and get the Humax.
      As Kenedin said, as you have a sky+ system already, you already have a quad LNB. Simply run 2 cables from the dish for your new Freesat PVR.
      As far as swapping cables goes, with no satellite signal to the sky+ machine, you will not be able to view any recordings stored on it. With 1 cable to each machine, you will be able to view recordings and record the channel you are viewing. eg, you could watch a recording on sky+ whilst recording 1 channel, the channel you were last viewing, on the freesat machine and vice versa.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Woodster For This Useful Post:

yvonnedreyfuss (17-02-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenedin View Post
      You don't need a second dish, only an additional cable from a spare port on the dish LNB to your Freesat recorder. Sky and Freesat both use the same Astra satellites for their channels.
      Thank you both very much for your answers. It has been a GREAT help. For years I seem to have been dithering, finally found out how to get help.

Hope these messages get to where they should, still don't really know my way round the computer or the net very well! THANK YOU again. Vonnie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Woodster View Post
      FYI, Grundig, goodmans, bush and alba are all the same! Poor quality, made in the same factory with the same components. The best Freesat recorder on the market by far is the Humax Foxsat HDR. Goodmans and Grundig come with either a 320gb HDD or a 500gb HDD. The Humax is only available with 500gb. Save up a few quid more and get the Humax.
      As Kenedin said, as you have a sky+ system already, you already have a quad LNB. Simply run 2 cables from the dish for your new Freesat PVR.
      As far as swapping cables goes, with no satellite signal to the sky+ machine, you will not be able to view any recordings stored on it. With 1 cable to each machine, you will be able to view recordings and record the channel you are viewing. eg, you could watch a recording on sky+ whilst recording 1 channel, the channel you were last viewing, on the freesat machine and vice versa.
      Thank you both very much for your answers. It has been a GREAT help. For years I seem to have been dithering, finally found out how to get help.

And thank you, Woodster, for your advise on which brand. I had a feeling that I was always being led towards the Humax, but couldn't be sure of myself, due to not being very good on the computer.

Hope these messages get to where they should, still don't really know my way round the computer or the net very well! THANK YOU again. Vonnie