Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Why do Sky get away with ripping people off?

This is a discussion on Why do Sky get away with ripping people off? within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I phoned sky today to pair up my second card with my new HD box. They asked me if I ...

chroffey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Why do Sky get away with ripping people off?

I phoned sky today to pair up my second card with my new HD box. They asked me if I wanted the HD pack on it for £10 per month but as it was a second box on multiroom I assumed I would be getting it anyway but he told me different. I canít believe what sky get away with, not only do they charge you an extra £10 per month to watch channels youíre already paying for in another room, they also want to charge for us just to have a decent picture. Now Iíve been getting annoyed with all this for a long time now and what winds me up the most is there is nothing I can do about it. Iíve seen forums with people complaining about the multiroom charge and other people saying that it is a bargain and a good thing. Would they think it was a good thing if BT charged you an extra £5 in line rental for every extra telephone you have in your house or if the BBC charged a TV licence for every TV. What if the Electricity or Gas board charged a standing charge for every appliance or the water board charged for every tap. Imagine if you got in a Taxi after your night out and the driver charged you the fare for every person in the car. The sky subscription should be for the address not the box. As for the HD charge on a second box, well this is worse than the multiroom charge. I pay for movies and sports and pay a multiroom charge for those packages on a second box. I also pay for the HD package so this should be included in my multiroom subscription but sky are obviously in the business of milking people dry. I know that there are some people out there who will just say that I am moaning and just after something for free but this isnít the case. I donít mind paying the subscription charges for the packages but I would also like to have the freedom to watch the channels anywhere in my house and have a decent picture on a TV that I paid enough for without having to pay monthly to get the decent picture. Also, while Iím on one, I added Sports 1 last year when my Football team were on TV (doesnít happen often). A couple of months later they were on again but this time on Sports 2. Why canít they dedicate the channels to certain sports? I f all football was on Sports 1 then I would only have that channel, but I suppose thatís why they do it. I just think they get away things that other companies wouldnít and I wish there was something someone could do about it.

2. Advertisement
      Tim1964 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hoddesdon
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Why do Sky get away with ripping people off?

To be honest BT charge more than £5/month for a second line.

Used to have 2 lines in the good old dial up internet days..............

Exchange:
      Thanks

I said a second phone as in, on the same line, just like 2 sky boxes on the same dish.

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Unfortuately it's called supply and demand and is simply business. If enough people voted with their feet, then charges would change, but demand is there and so Sky can charge as appropriate.

The charges are far from ripping you off, they don't force you to subscribe and aren't running a cartel operation like some companies have been done for recently with price fixing.

Sky are in the business of making a profit from those willing to pay. If you don't think it's value for money then don't pay. Either way it isn't ripping you off (that would be you paying for something and then not getting it).

Sky are hammered far more by the regulators than any other companies. Just look at Vince Cable who has personally declared war with the Murdoch empire where as Branson is the golden child of entrepeneurs.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chroffey View Post
      I said a second phone as in, on the same line, just like 2 sky boxes on the same dish.
      Sorry, but BT you can only make one phone call at a time on multiple phones in your house. Sky also offer this without Multiroom, you dont even have to buy a second box, just use and split the RF2 output..

If you want to watch different TV you need MR, if yo want to make different phone calls you need a second BT line which costs.

Apples and pears.

SadBloke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reddwarfcrew View Post
      Apples and pears.
      Now, now. Don't let the facts get in the way of a good rant!

Exchange:
      Thanks

I know what you are saying and I new I would get replies like this but the way I see it is that sky is charging me another £20 on top of my subscription just so I can watch the football while the kids watch a film (that is just an example and the only reason). They are selling me something I have already bought from them and that is ripping somebody off in my eyes but I pay it because I want the option and there is no other.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Sorry, but it's not ripping you off. You knew the deal so sky have not ripped you off. You don't feel it's value for money, but this is totally different to being ripped off.

Check your contract. What you have bought is the ability to watch one progamme at any one time and the ability to record a second. You have not bought a contract that allows you to watch multiple channels at the same time. AsI say apples and pears, you've bought one thing and now claiming to have bought something else.

There are plenty of other options. Sky+ is free so you could record one and watch it later while spending some quality time watching a film with your kids .

Life isn't free or cheap unfortuantely. Just because you buy a new car, doesn't mean you should get all the bells and whistles for free, there are different chargeable options based on supply and demand.

As I say, tho, saying sky have ripped you off is libelous and unfounded.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Listen Mr Sky lover, what I do with my kids is none of your business. You sound like the removed that work for sky, but then jduging by your postings you probably do. Sky are RIPPING PEOPLE OFF.
      Last edited by reddwarfcrew; 02-01-11 at 09:06 PM. Reason: insult removed as against forum rules

Exchange:
      Thanks

Okay, please refrain from taking that approach. The wink at the end showed that the comment was in jest.

As I have stated Sky have not ripped you off and we do not allow libelous comments.

I'm happy for discussion as to whether people feel the MR sub and MR HD sub are either a) value for money or b) even justified but we do not allow libelous comments or personal attacks.

Please continue in a more appropriate manner and take a moment to read our forum rules http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/view-rules.html

To clarify I do not work for Sky, but am a forum moderator.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to reddwarfcrew For This Useful Post:

steelysteph (02-01-11)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast