Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Why do Sky get away with ripping people off?

This is a discussion on Why do Sky get away with ripping people off? within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; You imply that I need to spend quality time with my family and say that it is in jest. Sorry, ...

chroffey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Why do Sky get away with ripping people off?

You imply that I need to spend quality time with my family and say that it is in jest. Sorry, but that is inappropriate. I am entitled to an opinion and if I think that sky are ripping people off 'in my opinion' then I should be able to say that. How can you 'justify' selling someone something that you have already sold them. As I said earlier, we don't pay the BBC licence fees for every TV in the house.

2. Advertisement
      reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Unfortunately this forum does not allow libelous post (due to previously receiving a letter from a solicitor regarding a posters comments about their client - not sky btw). That is my final word on it, if you mention that sky have ripped you off again then I will enforce an infraction and your right to post. You can get your point across without making libelous statements. I have given 2 suggestions (ie talking about whether they can justify the additonal subs or b) whether they are value for money).

As for the comment re quality time, then I apologise if you took offence. The wink for me was making is clear it was in fun, but I apologise for any offence caused.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chroffey View Post
      You imply that I need to spend quality time with my family and say that it is in jest. Sorry, but that is inappropriate. I am entitled to an opinion and if I think that sky are ripping people off 'in my opinion' then I should be able to say that. How can you 'justify' selling someone something that you have already sold them. As I said earlier, we don't pay the BBC licence fees for every TV in the house.
      The BBC are funded by the TV license and only offer a few channels, and doesn't have to make a profit. Sky is the only real option for football if you like it. You could always tell the kids to do something else when the footy is on and if you have a problem with the costs, that's what I do.

I cannot see why people complain they are being ripped off when they choose to take the package they have, it is not like Sky are forcing you to get it, if you don't like it, cancel.

Why did you sign up in the first place if you felt like that??? Seems a bit stupid to me.

steelysteph is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lancaster
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: VM Hub 3
      Sky TV: 2TB Minnie Mous
      Thanks

Yes, you are entitled to your opinion.

Also Sky are entitled to charge what they want for the service they provide (within the terms of the contract), they are not, however, entitled to force your acceptance of this service when your contract expires. So, if you feel ripped off please stop your subscription - problem solved.

chroffey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

As I said, I dont mind the subscription charges and I like what I get. I just dont feel the extra charge to watch in another room is justified or value for money, but I am not the only person who lives in the house and it is the only way to get the TV we all enjoy. I'm not sayng I can't afford it because if not then I wouldn't pay it, I am just saying that I feel they are charging for something that I have already paid for.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

I am just saying that I feel they are charging for something that I have already paid for.
      Well you haven't.

If you bought a car from Fords, you could quite happily share it with the wife, now if she decided she wanted her own car so she could go out at the same time as you are using yours, who do you think should pay for it??? Fords???

sjholland87 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

What if the Electricity or Gas board charged a standing charge for every appliance or the water board charged for every tap.
      Don't even mention that sort of stuff on the internet. They rob enough money off us already!

You don't want to be giving them ideas

SadBloke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

You need to think of better examples...
      Would they think it was a good thing if BT charged you an extra 5 in line rental for every extra telephone you have in your house or if the BBC charged a TV licence for every TV.
      They do if you want to have different conversations on each phone
      What if the Electricity or Gas board charged a standing charge for every appliance or the water board charged for every tap.
      They would if you wanted a different service at each outlet
      Imagine if you got in a Taxi after your night out and the driver charged you the fare for every person in the car.
      That happens with black cabs in some cities I've been in - ok, it's only about 20p per person but it's still there. To keep with your analogy, it's like saying two people getting in a cab and going to different destinations should only pay one fare. Doesn't happen.

The Realist is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Anything
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre 100GB Trial Gold X
      Router: Sky Q Hub Mk7 Trial Gold
      Sky TV: SkyQ/Motorised
      Thanks

Sky is a business and they are in business to provide programing thats in demand at a cost, if a customer thinks the costs are excesive then dont subscribe, simple.

As per above its not a charge per house but per card, its a subscription based package.

If your not happy then cancel and go with Virgin or Freeview.
      Disclaimer: The views expressed here are my own and in no way represent the views or policies of my employer.

Old_nick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Thanks

I agree. This was a stupid argument from the start. The bottom line is.... if you think something is overpriced, then don't buy it. It's precisely for this reason that I don't own any Apple products.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast