Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

No signal and have to wait 8 days without tv!!

This is a discussion on No signal and have to wait 8 days without tv!! within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi i apologize if this is in the wrong place. My sky was working fine last night but today i ...

Antichrist84 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01224
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

No signal and have to wait 8 days without tv!!

Hi i apologize if this is in the wrong place.

My sky was working fine last night but today i noticed that i'm not getting a signal at all, i can't watch anything, i keep getting "no satellite signal being recieved" message.
      After hours of going though all of sky's help section guides, calling call centres and checking for snow or ice on the LNB (there isn't any, we hardly have any snow here) we were finally told that an engineer will come out on the 3rd Jan 2011, Thats 8 days from now!
      So I spent another few hours arguing how we shouldn't have to go without tv for over a week (i like my tv during new year) they decided to take off 4.97 off my bill and 2 off my unlimited broadband.
      What i'm saying is is there anything else you think i can do or do i just have to wait it out? I personally think that compensation is ridiculous, Also the customer support is pathetic.

Thanks for any help.

2. Advertisement
      Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

Re: No signal and have to wait 8 days without tv!!

I take it you've had a look at the dish and it's still pointing in the right direction? lol. Also, you still have a LNB? Don't laugh, they've gone missing before.

The usual resets are the LNB and the Default Transponder ( both in the hidden menu - remote presses Services, 0, 0 ,1 & then press Select ). LNB reset is the red button in 'Setup', and Default Transponder reset is the red button in 'Tx'ponder'.

If that doesn't work, try switching OFF LNB Power Supply and 22KHz Command, press green to save the settings and exit the menu. Then go back in again and switch them both ON. Remember to save the settings.

If necessary, switch the digibox OFF at the mains, disconnect then reconnect the two Dish Inputs, and reboot. Allow 4 minutes for the EPG listings to load, then press Sky to view.

Other causes are usually bad connections somewhere, water ingress, cable chafed, dish moved or LNB kaput.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

Thanks

Thanks for the response, believe it or not i've tried all those options quite a few times and still nothing, i'm told its a sky box error and it needs replaced, was working fine last night with no problems so i don't know whats happened, i dont want to wait 8 days without tv

Thanks

What's the error number?
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

ugsuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Iv had the same problems. The customer service was useless and they told us to wait 3 days so that the snow can clear. Although there is NONE on the dish. Also tried everything they could throw at us an still hasn't worked. Sky are crap, switching to Virgin if they dont sort this out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenedin View Post
      What's the error number?
      Theres no error number, it just says no satellite signal being recieved.
      Looked at the dish again and noticed the LNB is hanging off the dish and pointing up towards the sky, (maybe snow falling off the roof broke it?) at least i now know what the problem is.
      Another thing that i've never took further was they installed a new dish but they hooked me up too an old rusty dish thats been there for years, thats prob why my LNB is broken after just 7 months, i'm def complaining more and demanding more compensation.

Quote Originally Posted by ugsuk View Post
      Iv had the same problems. The customer service was useless and they told us to wait 3 days so that the snow can clear. Although there is NONE on the dish. Also tried everything they could throw at us an still hasn't worked. Sky are crap, switching to Virgin if they dont sort this out.
      Yea i'm getting sick off them, i used to get 15mb broadband but its now gone down to 4mb and can't get it sorted. (Thats another story though)
      I tried the cancel trick but it doesn't seem to work with them anymore, they don't seem to care, also the only other company i can go with up here is BT, and there's no way I'm going back down that road, been there done that already, Never again.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Antichrist84 View Post
      Another thing that i've never took further was they installed a new dish but they hooked me up too an old rusty dish thats been there for years, thats prob why my LNB is broken after just 7 months, i'm def complaining more and demanding more compensation.

Armed with the facts, get onto them straight away, and complain about the service, especially being hooked up to a rusty old dish. If necessary, email CRsupport@bskyb.com. State the facts, and include your viewing card and full contact details.

bryan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leith
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Technicolor TG582n Fibre Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD DRX890W
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Antichrist84 View Post
      Hi i apologize if this is in the wrong place.

My sky was working fine last night but today i noticed that i'm not getting a signal at all, i can't watch anything, i keep getting "no satellite signal being recieved" message.
      After hours of going though all of sky's help section guides, calling call centres and checking for snow or ice on the LNB (there isn't any, we hardly have any snow here) we were finally told that an engineer will come out on the 3rd Jan 2011, Thats 8 days from now!
      So I spent another few hours arguing how we shouldn't have to go without tv for over a week (i like my tv during new year) they decided to take off 4.97 off my bill and 2 off my unlimited broadband.
      What i'm saying is is there anything else you think i can do or do i just have to wait it out? I personally think that compensation is ridiculous, Also the customer support is pathetic.

Thanks for any help.
      I don't like to rely 100% on Sky for anything and find that digiboxes especially are prone to all sorts of problems. I have had two digiboxes fail completely and I now know that they aren't very well made in my opinion.

My current Sky+ box has a failed RF2 outlet which isn't totally bad news but means I can't use a magic eye with the box. The best advice I can give is to have a backup option of Freeview if you have the right kind of aerial.

I am personally moving away from Sky as much as possible although right now it isn't possible to disconnect completely but I find it best to have other options and Freeview is a good option, so far I've never had a Freeview box or TV fail!

Sky TV is loaded with repeats much more so than terrestrial TV so missing 8 days you will be able to catch up with much of it. If you have broadband you can watch the same channels you subscribe to online which might also help you.

kevthevan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01909
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Can you just clarify if you live in Aberdeen as your profile states. Only reason I ask is that you say there wasn't any snow and you hardly get any. The following article states differently and shows Aberdeen to have been badly hit.

Snowier Aberdeen Writing from Scotland

The snow has severly affected the ability of Sky engineers to get to customers to carry out installs/service calls during the recent bad weather. Because of this, lots of calls have been cancelled and rebooked, on top of those already booked. Christmas is the busiest time of year for Sky which also adds to the backlog. I'm not defending Sky, just pointing out the reason why you would have wait 8 days (of which New Year falls in the middle).

You also say they fitted a new dish but didn't connect to it. I can't for the life of me understand why someone would go to the effort of installing a new dish only to go to another dish to run the cable. Did you ask them at the time why they did this.

As previously mentioned, report it to Sky, if it was one of their own that installed it, they can be traced back via the job and spoken to.