Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky+ HD - ongoing issue

This is a discussion on Sky+ HD - ongoing issue within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi guys; hoping that someone here will be able to help me out. I got sky installed in April last ...

skovdahl79 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sky+ HD - ongoing issue

Hi guys; hoping that someone here will be able to help me out.

I got sky installed in April last year; within hours, it stopped working properly (No Signal is Being Rec'd). Sky talked me through how to fix it, but it continued happening. Despite numberous calls to sky, they refused to send an engineer because 'it was communal system, and sky are not responsible for them'. I politely pointed out that I paid sky, so I was of the opinion that they were responsible. This continued until after the warranty on my box expired, at which point they were happy to send an engineer out - but wanted to charge me 65! After threatening to cancel, they agreed to send an engineer without charging me - unfortunately, he didn't turn up. I've since had two further engineer visits - one changed the box and the other did something to the cable - but the system still has the same problem.

I thought I was finally getting somewhere a couple of weeks ago when someone at sky agreed to contact the installation company to get them to service the equipment. I had no response since that e-mail; they have now got back to me again saying they are not responsible, and that I need to arrange for someone to visit to service the property, so it seems I'm back to square one again.

Anyone got any advice on what my next step should be? Unfortunately, ripping the system out and getting virgin media isn't an option!

2. Advertisement
      Woodster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01442
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Sky+ HD - ongoing issue

You should be contacting your managing agents to sort out the communal system. They will send an engineer out as they are obliged to maintain the system. If the fault is with the system, you will not be charged. If the fault lies within the boundary of your property, you will incur a charge. Sky cannot be held responsible for a communal system they did not supply or install. If the system is a Sky FSD system (Free Shared Dish) and they either supplied and fitted OR authorised a third party installer to supply and install it, they are responsible and are obliged to repair/maintain it. If you also get your normal terrestrial TV on the same wall plate as your Sky connection, you do not have an FSD system as there is never a terrestrial feed present.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Woodster For This Useful Post:

skovdahl79 (22-12-10)

skovdahl79 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Woodster View Post
      You should be contacting your managing agents to sort out the communal system. They will send an engineer out as they are obliged to maintain the system. If the fault is with the system, you will not be charged. If the fault lies within the boundary of your property, you will incur a charge. Sky cannot be held responsible for a communal system they did not supply or install. If the system is a Sky FSD system (Free Shared Dish) and they either supplied and fitted OR authorised a third party installer to supply and install it, they are responsible and are obliged to repair/maintain it. If you also get your normal terrestrial TV on the same wall plate as your Sky connection, you do not have an FSD system as there is never a terrestrial feed present.
      The property factor had someone out a few months ago as sky and terrestrial TV were off completely, but the issue is - which at least one other property also has - is still ongoing. I think the terrestrial comes in through an ariel situated next to the sky dish. No idea how the system was installed, or by whom - it's a new build property and the system was here when i moved in.

I though a sky system could only be installed by a company that sky have approved as an installer?

Woodster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01442
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

If it's a new build, hassle the managing agents like crazy! I've worked with/for a few and on the most part, they are a nightmare. By the managing agents, i mean the firm that look after the leasehold for your block and you pay a yearly maintenance charge to and not any letting agent if you rent your property.

nige1983 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MRDEN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

common thing these days with new builds. The owners/management companies install their own communal sat dishes so the properties don't have sky dishes all over the outside (and no doubt some where in your purchasing or renting of the place you are charged for this and probably charged a yearly service charge as well. Sky have no control over issues with the actual dishes themselves they can send engineers out to check the box for you but the management company own the dish and feeds and therefore need to check this out for you. When you get yhe message no Satellite signal message, does it have a code "29" if it does this is generally a signal/dish issue. Sounds like sky have gone the extra mile by sending the 3 engineers out and contacting the management company on your behalf. If you do pay a service or maintenance charge check the contract for any mention of the communal dish as if it is included they are clearly breacing it by refusing to come out. Good Look Pal. Alternatively really p**s the management company off and have someone come and install yuor own satellite dish on the front of th building and tell the installer the owners have given you permission!!!!!