Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

No signal on Input 2 on Sky+ box

This is a discussion on No signal on Input 2 on Sky+ box within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I'd appreciate some ideas about what might be wrong with my Amstrad Sky+ box or if it is a failed ...

bryan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leith
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Technicolor TG582n Fibre Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD DRX890W
      Thanks

No signal on Input 2 on Sky+ box

I'd appreciate some ideas about what might be wrong with my Amstrad Sky+ box or if it is a failed LNB. I am getting no signal on Input 2 when I do a signal test in the appropriate System setup sub-menu. There is a signal on Input 1 so I can still view Sky TV and record a program on Sky+ so long as I have the box tuned to the channel the programme is on.

I tried swapping the cables from the wall socket to the Sky+ box over at the box end to see if I could get a signal on Input 2 but when I did that there was no signal at both inputs. I then swapped the cables over at the wall socket end and got back to having a signal on Input 1 but no signal on Input 2. This suggests to me that it isn't the cable that is faulty but that there might be two faults here or do you always have to have a signal to Input 1 for Input 2 to work?

The satellite dish here is a communal dish for a block of flats and it isn't visible on the outside of the building so I'm not sure where it is. It was working fine up till about two weeks ago so maybe the bad weather has affected things?

2. Advertisement
      Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

Re: No signal on Input 2 on Sky+ box

First question with a communal system is always 'is anybody else getting the same problem?'. If so, the problem is with the system. Your dish isn't visible from the outside of the building which means it's probably hidden away in some kind of sheltered part of the roof. As frozen snow and ice are still very much evident in certain parts of the City, your dish may still be affected, or even the distribution box. That's why it's important to ask the question before moving on to other considerations .

If no-one else has this problem, try another box on your own setup, or your box on a friend's in the block.

If swapping boxes is not possible, try rebooting the box at the mains. You may also have to update the software, or even fully reset the box. You are not alone in having this problem, as there are people on other forums with the same problem all of a sudden. It may be software-related.
      Last edited by Kenedin; 16-12-10 at 04:59 AM.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kenedin For This Useful Post:

bryan (16-12-10)

MartinP is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Slingbox
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bryan View Post
      I tried swapping the cables from the wall socket to the Sky+ box over at the box end to see if I could get a signal on Input 2 but when I did that there was no signal at both inputs
      This is not a reliable way to test. Some Digiboxes do strange things if there's no signal on input 1. Better to borrow an ordinary Sky Digibox and test each connection with that.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MartinP For This Useful Post:

bryan (19-12-10)

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

How long have you been in the flat? if you have just tried connecting the Sky+ for the first time, you may find that the flats are only actually cabled for one feed only.

So the question is, have you had it working in your flat before?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
      This is not a reliable way to test. Some Digiboxes do strange things if there's no signal on input 1. Better to borrow an ordinary Sky Digibox and test each connection with that.
      Thanks for this I have actually discovered that as well as what you say the type of wall socket I have has specific terminals for Input 1 and Input 2 crossing them over doesn't work at all. The only way I found this out was by opening the wall socket up although on closer inspection it does say Sat 2 on the outside of the faceplate but not so that it is easy to read and the new faceplate just says Sat on the outside although on the inside it is very specific.

I have had my next door neighbours digibox in my flat and his box has the same problem here as mine whereas mine works fine in his flat. So there is nothing wrong with the digibox.

I opened up the wall socket that all the TV cables screw into and plug into and found that the screening wire was probably the cause of the problem as it was right up to the end of the plastic insulation round the main wire in the middle and also bits of the metal bracket part were broken so I went to Toolstation and bought a new wall socket faceplate to replace the existing one

Toolstation > Electrical > TV & Satellite > Screened Triplexed, Telephone, Return Path & SKY+

Eventually I managed to get both Inputs registering a signal after fiddling about with the wires but the signal strength is only about 10% on Input 1 and 20% on Input 2, the signal quality is about 33% and 40% respectively. However at least the digibox now records on another channel etc as it should.

I have still to attach the faceplate to the plastic socket in the wall but because the feed wires come up from below I am sure that the action of putting this into the wall is going to move the contacts and disrupt the whole thing even with the screws done up really tight. Whoever designed these sockets wasn't a fitter I'm sure.

To Smithy99 I did mention in my post above that my system was working properly before. I have been here for around 18 months and I have two feeds for Sky+ as I imagine do most of the flats here, this being a new development.

What we don't have is HD LNBs and I think I've heard we can't have HD here although another neighbour claims to have HD because the company who fitted his TVs combined the two Sky+ feeds in his flat into one on his HD digibox. I didn't know that was possible. Will this be proper HD or something else?

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

If you can get Sky then you can also get HD, it uses the same feed.

With reagrds to the connections on the faceplate, you may want to consider just fitting an f plug to the two incoming cables and then using barrel connectors to connect them to the extension leads you have. This will remove any problems with the wires being either too short or getting bent or pulled out off shape.

These can be bought cheaply from Screwfix or B&Q etc.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      If you can get Sky then you can also get HD, it uses the same feed.

With reagrds to the connections on the faceplate, you may want to consider just fitting an f plug to the two incoming cables and then using barrel connectors to connect them to the extension leads you have. This will remove any problems with the wires being either too short or getting bent or pulled out off shape.

These can be bought cheaply from Screwfix or B&Q etc.
      a couple of questions: is the LNB for an HD system the same as a standard system? I had always assumed that they might be different?

With regards to the faceplate in my flat there is also a connection point for a freeview/analogue TV feed on the faceplate. When I plug a cable into it and also into the back of the digibox I can watch Freeview on all the TVs in the flat.

Your idea of using the barrel connectors won't allow me to do that as far as I can tell. There seems to be no seperate feed into the back of the faceplate from a terrestrial aerial other than from the two Sky cables that are attached to the back so it looks like the Freeview feed from the communal aerial must come along the same cable as the Sky feed and that is maybe why they use this particular faceplate.

Otherwise I like the idea but I don't think it will work for me as I use the Freeview TV all the time, mainly because I can't use a magic eye on my Sky digibox as the central pin on the RF2 (powered outlet) came out when I moved house and the RF2 outlet no longer works :-( I don't think it is worth getting it repaired for around 40 when I could probably get a new or reconditioned box for not much more.